Rover 75 Club - New Instrument pack/trip computer retro fit. Help needed. - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:44

Car: MG ZT 180 SE in XPG.
Serviceability and replacing an instrument pack

None of the components that make up the IPK are serviceable and failure of one or all componentsrequires a new IPK to be fitted. All warning lamps are driven by light emitting diodes (LED).IPK’s should not be exchanged between vehicles. When a replacement is required a new IPKshould be ordered. When a replacement IPK is fitted to the vehicle and configured to the vehicleusing TestBook it will communicate with the LSM, via K-Bus, and the stored mileage will betransferred to the IPK. The light switch module periodically communicates with the IPK to updatethe information it stores for back-up purposes. It stores the vehicle identification number, vehicletotal mileage and the SIA data. This data is updated every 100 Km (see Figure 40).
When necessary a IPK with less than 255 Km recorded mileage can be reconfigured to match thevehicle it is being fitted to using TestBook. It will then be able to communicate with the LSM whenthe ignition is switched ’on’. If the LSM recorded mileage is more than the IPK mileage, this figure will be transferred to the IPK odometer.If the IPK has more than 255 Km recorded mileage it will not accept the LSM recorded figure after configuration. Instead it will attempt to update the recorded mileage stored in the LSM. If a newLSM has been fitted with zero miles recorded the LSM will accept the figure from the IPK. If the LSM has a valid mileage recorded already, it will not accept a new figure from the IPK which exceeds the recorded mileage by more than 1000 Km. For example if a new value of 6,500 Km was sent to an LSM with a recorded mileage of 5,000 Km the LSM would ignore this new figure. A working/valid LSM will be updated with new mileage figures every 100 Km via K-Bus. Once it has reached 300,000 Km it ceases to update the mileage. It is therefore conceivable that an IPK,
of correct specification, could be fitted to a vehicle outside the correct procedure with incorrect mileage data (without configuring it). There are as yet no visible warnings to inform the driver. Once TestBook is connected to the vehicle problems with the central coding key would occur and communication with the IPK would not be possible - making it clear to the dealer that a problemexists. If an IPK of incorrect configuration and specification is exchanged without configuration by TestBook errors will occur - such as the illumination of various warning lamps- indicating a problem exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:12

Car: Other Manufacturer
Hi,

There is lots of info on this stuff on BMW boards. The 75 electronics BMW as we know.

Unless you have got a brand new cluster, it will not work.

It seems there may be a company who can re-flash the eprom in the cluster to make the LCM think it is a new cluster. This may be worth a go.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/view...er=asc&start=0

On this thread, there is also someone who took a bit off the back of the old cluster, put it on the new cluster and it made the new cluster function as before. Presumably cos he used the bit which held the car data.

Both these avenues may present further options as opposed to being forced to buy new clusters, which may be of limited availability. . . .
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:15

Car: MG ZT 180 SE in XPG.
Its official Rover. What i got from it though is that it doesnt state anywhere that they are write once in terms of configuration. the mileage is a problem but im sure there is a 3rd party method around this.

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hicks
there is also someone who took a bit off the back of the old cluster, put it on the new cluster and it made the new cluster function as before. Presumably cos he used the bit which held the car data.
Good call!
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 15-02-2006, 15:55

This is some thread and some work Chris!

Hats off to you on this one

Point 4 so far is the only one putting me off. Can you tell us, is the eeprom removable or soldered?

Just thinking of a cheap way round it
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 16:07

Car: Rover 75
James,

How much was the new unit? I would love to do this also (not for a while though...)

Martin
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 17:20

A lot of money Chris, but a very worth while mod in my opinion. I'll back you up!

If I had the spare cash and knowing that a brand new unit is such an easy fit, I'd buy one tomorrow

Thanks for one hell of a thread, sorry the first one didn't work out
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 20:31

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescj
EDIT: Here are some photos (I'm pleased with the average MPG too )
My old Mondeo V6 used to average about that, I would be very concerned if my 75 did though

post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescj

Well on paper I was getting less, I suspect in reality it is about 35~36mpg, so I'm happy - its all relative!
What engine is it? My mate had a Mondeo V6 and was able to get an actual 35 MPG on medium (22 mile) runs after an oil and plug change.

Them duratec V6's are good on fuel IMO.
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:20

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Yep even the 3.0 in the (hiss hiss) X type se that my father in law has does around 30MPG most of the time.

anyway that is a bit OT

re these clusters here something that just occured to me
Is the one fitted to cars with Lo-Line Nav a special or a standard Hi-Line cluster?

I would have thought it would need special firmware and a different display matrix for the nav system?
post #31 of 112 (permalink) Old 19-06-2006, 17:44

Car: MGF and MG ZT-T (also Mk3 Triumph Spitfire and Mk1 Austin Mini)
FAO James

Hi James,

Doing some research on the trip computer for my ZTT - and I've found no less that TEN different part numbers for the instrument pack with trip computer.

It is, shall we say, confusing! I need the EPC!!!

A good number of these will be for the Rover instrument pack rather than the MG, but which one to go for? Presumably not HiLine (I don't have SatNav)? Which one did you order?

Cheers
post #32 of 112 (permalink) Old 19-06-2006, 18:11

Car: Rover 75 and MGF
Speak to someone like Rimmerbros - you give them your VIN number and they will tell you the one for you. The differences include, petrol vs diesel, LHD vs RHD, manual vs automatic and (I assume) KPH vs MPH and illumination - and finally (of course) with MESSAGE CENTER and without!

By giving my VIN number they narrowed it down to the specific IPK needed for my car.

The sat nav sits on the HU and the IPK - it communicates withthe message centre in the IPK via the nav-bus. That means that even though I don't have the Rover satnav if for some reason I retrofitted it - the IPK should be ready to go displaying via the message centre (I am more interested in sending my own 'messages' to the IPK! )

HTH
post #33 of 112 (permalink) Old 19-06-2006, 18:27

Okay, good advice - Rimmer Bros actually sent me the parts/price list - hence the HUGE list of instrument packs (I can't believe that there have been so many - a logistics nightmare surely?)

James, I presume you got the version for HiLine SatNav then? Not a bad idea if the opportunity to upgrade ever arises I guess

BUT still frighteningly expensive
Will have to use my best negotiating skills. Shame I can't negotiate a **** in a brewery then...

Last edited by MikeM; 20-06-2006 at 09:40.
post #34 of 112 (permalink) Old 19-06-2006, 18:44

Rob, try not to get the Sat Nav confused with the IPK - my understanding is that they are separate things.

What I understand is that the Lo-line satnav uses the message centre in the IPK (as well as being used for the trip computer) to display directions etc. as it does not have its own display - it does this through a dedicated bus - the I-bus.

The Hi-line satnav has its own display and so has *nothing* to do with the message center and the IPK.

So it is a question of making sure you get an IPK with has the Message Centre (aka trip computer) the Hi-line /Lo-line status is neither here nor there ...

I hope that makes sense? (And if any satnav gurus know anything different can they please pipe up now! )

Cheers

Last edited by jamescj; 19-06-2006 at 22:36.
post #35 of 112 (permalink) Old 20-06-2006, 09:15

James, I understand what you're saying, thanks - but the comment was really born from the observation that Lo-Line and Hi-line IPKs are listed along with IPKs with trip computer...

It's really a case at the moment of 'a little knowledge is dangerous' - hence why I am asking as many questions as I am

I need access to a workshop manual and the electronic parts catalogue. The former is available from B&G - so may buy one at Silverstone. Not sure where to get a legit copy of the EPC though

The research continues!
post #36 of 112 (permalink) Old 22-06-2006, 16:15

James, talking of I-Bus - I guess you're already familiar with this site? http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/
post #37 of 112 (permalink) Old 22-06-2006, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell
James, talking of I-Bus - I guess you're already familiar with this site? http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/
Seen it and have one of the RS232 version Still need to hook it up and try it out though - so much to play with and so little time!
post #38 of 112 (permalink) Old 22-06-2006, 16:34

Christopher - my apologies, I keep calling you james because of your signature!!! D'oh!

How have you mounted your carputer screen in your car?
post #39 of 112 (permalink) Old 22-06-2006, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell
Christopher - my apologies, I keep calling you james because of your signature!!! D'oh!

How have you mounted your carputer screen in your car?
No worries - happens to me all the time

At the moment I have the screen mounted piggy back on an old (ebay bought) harmony HU like this:

Although its only been fitted for testing and removed so far. I need to wire in the PC in the boot, that is my next 'challenge' - currently figuring out the best routes to use for the different cabling involved.

I intend to build in the screen into the 2DIN space - my biggest issue at the moment being where then to 'hide' the HU ...??
post #40 of 112 (permalink) Old 22-06-2006, 17:49

Are you going to use the Carputer for any of the audio functions? In which case, all you'd need is an amplifier mounted remotely - probably, again, in the boot? Alternatively, you could use a BMW tuner - as used with the sat nav - which is hidden in the boot?