Rover 75 Club - New Instrument pack/trip computer retro fit. Help needed. - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #81 of 112 (permalink) Old 15-10-2006, 18:43

Car: MGF and MG ZT-T (also Mk3 Triumph Spitfire and Mk1 Austin Mini)
That's a pitty. Hopefully he can come up trumps with this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 112 (permalink) Old 16-10-2006, 16:33

Car: Rover 75
Hello Rob,

Phoned the bloke this moring, I will get another chip to fit in the car as you can not over right the one thats fitted, I wil lgive further progress later this week when he comes back to me.

tcfuk
post #83 of 112 (permalink) Old 16-10-2006, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfuk View Post
Hello Rob,

Phoned the bloke this moring, I will get another chip to fit in the car as you can not over right the one thats fitted, I wil lgive further progress later this week when he comes back to me.

tcfuk
Hi,
Did he happen to say what "chip", sounds a bit odd.
Mark

post #84 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-10-2006, 07:39

Perhaps its the eprom that comes part of the mileage display Mark?

Keep us posted tcfuk
post #85 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-10-2006, 16:26

Your right Mark,

its the eprom he is going to change, I used the word "chip" very losely
post #86 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-10-2006, 18:20

With new IPKs costing anywhere from 230 - 480 plus VAT, this is looking very interesting, the other thread offering a possible solution seems to have died a death.

I bought my 2nd hand one complete with the elusive stalk control for 60 (bargain , I thought). I would love to buy new but Rimmer Bros. quoted 480 + VAT.

I bought the 2nd hand one specifically to take apart and see whats what and with the hope that someone somewhere (if it wasn't me) would eventually figure out how to either hack it or "fix" it in some other way.

I want to use it to upgrade my car with message center, keeping my car honest at the same time (mileage wise), as it happens my 2nd hand IPK has done 177000+ miles, so there you go.
post #87 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 16:42

Further Update on "Err" on trip meter.

After working on the car for several hours the "Speedo Fixer" has still not managed to remove the "Err". I have now been told that the Eprom is written in "HEX" (does not mean any thing to me) but he has taken the details from the old Insturment Cluster and the VIN number from my car and is working on a way to find the VIN code on the Doner Instrument Pack ande insert it.

However he has now put the milage on the Doner Pack so I feel better that I am not deceiving anyone with a false milage reading.

If and when i get any more information I will let everyone know.

tcfuk
post #88 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 18:20

You know, I was thinking about this again today, and was going to ask how this was coming along.

Good news that some progress has been made - you've now got the correct mileage on the donor cluster. I guess removing the "Err" is going to take a little more time. I hope that he finds a way, as this is going to prove to be very useful for a good number of us wanting to do the same thing tcfuk!

Please do let us know how you get on
post #89 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 13:32

Car: Rover 75 CDTi SE
Sorry to dig this old thread up again but I need some advice.

I just bought a new YAC003790 off eBay for installation into my non-trip computer car. While I haven't had it T4'ed yet I have plugged it in and it works, although it shops the following errors:
  • odometer "err" - I think this is to be expected until it is T4'ed
  • Self levelling suspension error - my car doesn't have self levelling suspension
  • traction control error - my car doesn't have traction control
Will the T4 remove all these problems?
post #90 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 13:36

Car: MG 6 GT
doesnt sound like you have a new new one , sounds like its been fitted to a car with said options i hope im wrong what milage does it say ?? perhaps its a new one that was fitted but didnt cure a problem so was taken out ??
post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilljohn View Post
doesnt sound like you have a new new one , sounds like its been fitted to a car with said options i hope im wrong what milage does it say ?? perhaps its a new one that was fitted but didnt cure a problem so was taken out ??
The mileage shows all 00000000, so I'd say its new. It also shows a manufacturing date of Aug 2004 and looks brand new i.e. no dust, scratches etc.

What does the T4 do when you install a new IPK? Does it copy car information to the IPK like traction control, VIN number etc?
post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 14:36

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Quote:
What does the T4 do when you install a new IPK? Does it copy car information to the IPK like traction control, VIN number etc?
Yes it sets the ZCS codes in the IPK to those of your existing car
these codes describe the cars configuration all ECUs in a particular car carry exactly the same codes for a given configuration of options.

It would be worth getting a printout of these codes for future reference if you get the chance before coding the new IPK.
post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Alexander View Post
Yes it sets the ZCS codes in the IPK to those of your existing car
these codes describe the cars configuration all ECUs in a particular car carry exactly the same codes for a given configuration of options.

It would be worth getting a printout of these codes for future reference if you get the chance before coding the new IPK.
Hi Keith

Do you think that the traction controil and self-leveling suspension errors can be removed?

Or are they like the mileage i.e. once written to the IPK then they cannot be undone?
post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 15:16

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Once the IPK is forced the correct ZCS codes for your car if you don't have those options fitted then they will go away

I reckon in the factory the IPK is coded with every option under the sun simply for testing purposes. Obviously you won't know for sure till you go to a dealer to do it but have faith!
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 15:54

Thanks for resurrecting this thread CDTi!

I imagine that sorting your IPK will be pretty straightforward. But I wonder about using a second-hand module, as tcfuk did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfuk View Post
Further Update on "Err" on trip meter.

After working on the car for several hours the "Speedo Fixer" has still not managed to remove the "Err". I have now been told that the Eprom is written in "HEX" (does not mean any thing to me) but he has taken the details from the old Insturment Cluster and the VIN number from my car and is working on a way to find the VIN code on the Doner Instrument Pack ande insert it.

However he has now put the milage on the Doner Pack so I feel better that I am not deceiving anyone with a false milage reading.

If and when i get any more information I will let everyone know.

tcfuk
Any update?

IIRC EPROMS can be wiped with UV light - perhaps this could be done on an older IPK and then reprogrammed with the ZCS codes on T4 as a fresh install?
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Alexander View Post
I reckon in the factory the IPK is coded with every option under the sun simply for testing purposes. Obviously you won't know for sure till you go to a dealer to do it but have faith!
That makes sense, Keith. Fingers and all other appendages crossed etc.

Unfortunately I just rang my nearest (former) MGR garage and he no longer has the T4. I think the next nearest garage is about 80 miles away . Oh well, the things we do to improve our Rovers....

Now the next question - where does the button on the stalk connect to? I plan on using one of the redundant CC buttons on my wheel controlling the message centre. I though that there would be a "spare" connector on the steering column to connect to the stalk connector but I have checked and there isn't.

Any ideas?
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
Thanks for resurrecting this thread CDTi!

But I wonder about using a second-hand module, as tcfuk did?
Didn't tcfuk sell his unit? I don't think he ever got it sorted
post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 23-03-2007, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
Didn't tcfuk sell his unit? I don't think he ever got it sorted
You could be right - I would have missed that; been away from the forums a lot of late.
post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:40

Car: CDT 2.0
MatL . thanks for the info regarding the lsm and the IPK , as i v got the same problem on my R75 cdt 2.0 , with ERR message on the trip mls ,been to my local rover dealers thay say that the LSM has been changed from another car ( i only have this car for about 4 months) . thay quoted me 350 for the new LSM , what will happen if i fit the new LSM what milage will it show on dash ( milage on the dash reads 58k ( not sure if this are geniun) fitting new LSM where is going to read milage from ? )
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-08-2007, 21:22

Car: MG ZTT 1.8T
Just an off the wall thought.

As the EPROMs on second hand IPK's can't be written with a second vehicles mileage, could you swap EPROM's between IPK's

Food for thought ?