Rover 75 Club - New Instrument pack/trip computer retro fit. Help needed. - Page 6 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-08-2007, 09:47

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Yes they could assuming the chip is identical between cluster types
You would need a decent soldering/rework station though especially if it is surface mounted

I suspect though the firmware may vary between Hi and Lo Line clusters

Car would still need to go on T4 to tell all the other ECUs that Hi Line instruments had been fitted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-08-2007, 15:03

Car: MG ZTT 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Alexander View Post
Yes they could assuming the chip is identical between cluster types
You would need a decent soldering/rework station though especially if it is surface mounted

I suspect though the firmware may vary between Hi and Lo Line clusters

Car would still need to go on T4 to tell all the other ECUs that Hi Line instruments had been fitted
I wasn't trying to circumnavigate the T4 route, just find a work round to ther error message.

I've got my old IPK which I'll dismantle if I get a chance.
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-08-2007, 22:51

Car: 05 ZR+ TD 115 & 04 ZTT+ CDTi 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Just an off the wall thought.

As the EPROMs on second hand IPK's can't be written with a second vehicles mileage, could you swap EPROM's between IPK's

Food for thought ?
Nice thought, there, but unfortunately the days of socketed ICs on PCBs have long gone in favour of Surface-Mount Technology (SMT).

post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-04-2008, 07:52

Car: Rover 75
Well we never found out then if the upgarde worked. I just bought a new IPK fro my 1999 cdt as the old one was fault (open wiper switch error). I have just had it back from Viking who say it wont take my car details! Any ideas guys. Just for info:
-The car seemed to work fine all the instruments warnings displayed only the speedo is intermittent(old IPK speedo was intermittent too).
-The err on the oddometer when engine is started but records trip which can be seen on key position 1.
- Trip can be used when in key position 1 but wont respond once engine started. However if you switch to trip and then start eg MPH it stays on ok.
- the IPK was brand new (now has 2k on it my miles) from SMC who say this is an easy upgrade.
- I am talking to SMC who are being very helpful and going back to the supplier to find out why this wont take the car details.
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-04-2008, 08:27

Tom9859, can you send your email address to basham regards codes, sorry for butting into thread Tony
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-04-2008, 16:05

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9859 View Post
Well we never found out then if the upgarde worked. I just bought a new IPK fro my 1999 cdt as the old one was fault (open wiper switch error). I have just had it back from Viking who say it wont take my car details! Any ideas guys. Just for info:
-The car seemed to work fine all the instruments warnings displayed only the speedo is intermittent(old IPK speedo was intermittent too).
-The err on the oddometer when engine is started but records trip which can be seen on key position 1.
- Trip can be used when in key position 1 but wont respond once engine started. However if you switch to trip and then start eg MPH it stays on ok.
- the IPK was brand new (now has 2k on it my miles) from SMC who say this is an easy upgrade.
- I am talking to SMC who are being very helpful and going back to the supplier to find out why this wont take the car details.
Did you fit the IPK and then drive the car?

You shouldn't fit the IPK until you code it in by T4.

Anyway your intermittant speedo sounds like a CAN-BUS fault. I would check your plenum drains.
post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 17-04-2008, 21:15

Car: ZT 400 and a T4
Exactly!

His post suggests he has driven the car 2k before trying to get the cluster coded if so it won't code on T4
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-04-2008, 08:36

I have checked the drains as thanks to the forum its a pretty well known fault now. Thanks for the advice about the CAN bus, how do you test this ? Did some more testing of the speedo , have checked the ABS even though the sensor isnt showing a fault. The wires are fine to the sensors as well. I can put the car on a hill and let it run down the hill out of gear and the speedo registers fine. If I start the car and do the same then pop into gear the speedo will work but not accurately. Could this point to the pedal sensor perhaps?

Tom
post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-04-2008, 19:17

Car: 75 tourer cdti conn se facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
The mileage shows all 00000000, so I'd say its new. It also shows a manufacturing date of Aug 2004 and looks brand new i.e. no dust, scratches etc.

What does the T4 do when you install a new IPK? Does it copy car information to the IPK like traction control, VIN number etc?
Hi, just wondering if you got your new message centre to work as I am thinking of buying one for my 2005 tourer,
cheers
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 18-04-2008, 20:06

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9859 View Post
I have checked the drains as thanks to the forum its a pretty well known fault now. Thanks for the advice about the CAN bus, how do you test this ? Did some more testing of the speedo , have checked the ABS even though the sensor isnt showing a fault. The wires are fine to the sensors as well. I can put the car on a hill and let it run down the hill out of gear and the speedo registers fine. If I start the car and do the same then pop into gear the speedo will work but not accurately. Could this point to the pedal sensor perhaps?

Tom
CAN BUS needs T4 to check it...
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 21-04-2008, 11:33

I have now got the IPK matched to the car using Viking Garage. Few strange things the speedo still doesnt work but this seems to still affect the message centre. When I am driving it doesnt respond to the button being pushed at all. The MPH screen has now replaced with a totally blank screen instead of the 0 MPH displaying. So working is not quite an acturate description although it may all be teh Speedo Can bus issue. Although Viking say that there is only an SRS fault code showing. I have an elm327 on the way so I hope to start getting some codes to attack the speedo issue.
post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 17:27

Car: CityRover
A very old thread but basically if you have lo-line navigation you have a high line IPK (with display and trip). If you have hi-line Nav you have a lo-line IPK (normal dash warning lights-no trip).