MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 75 V6 (75 V6 rattling)

11K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr Edd 
#1 ·
Just bought a Rover 75 V6 Auto with only 83000warranty miles on the clock. When I start her up every morning I have this gingling or rattling noise from the engine. It drives ok and the auto selector is fine. The noise reduces on continous driving. What can be the problem?

#21 ·
Just thought I'd mention, and also mentioned by a previous poter, that when the belts are done get the water pump changed too. Renowned for failing at around 50000 miles also, although yours may have already been done due to the mileage.

Can work out expensive if this is not done at the same time as the same part of the engine has to be visited again. I know this from personal experience !!

Regards,

Dave.

#4 ·
:welcome:

You'd be better off posting a new thread in the 75 section as you'll also get some recommended garages. You're looking at a £550 to £700 job depending on how extensive a job you want doing for the belts. If it is the belt tensioner that's rattling then you need to book in immediately or you'll be needing a new engine!

Search the 75 section for the service charts for the 75/ZT and you'll know what else needs doing.

#6 ·
here's the 75 section:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90

where you will get guru help.

For a V6 there is a major 6-yearly job to replace the three cambelts, cost £500-£1000 (advice available there). You should get it done immediately if you have no proof it has been done and the car is over 6 years old.

I don't know if the suggestion is that the auto might be causing the rattling.

However, a well-known problem with the KV6 is the VIS motors failing in the inlet manifold - symptom: rattling... :(

#7 ·
Right. Just got my pride and joy back from the garage. The Valve lifter rejuvenator has been done or replaced and I can still hear this horrible and irritating rattling when I start her up in the morning the rattling does go down when the engine is warm. For peace of mind, I have purchased an extended warranty. What next? I ask myself. Any clues Please?

#11 ·
I have had my 2.5 v6 Connie for getting on for two years now this year it had the belts and all the associated parts including water pump replaced in June plus new M.O.T and I have always had this tinny rattle etc on start up from cold it disappears as soon as the engine is warm car runs perfectly can't be much wrong with it though.

#10 ·
Extended warranty? Shouldn't it be covered on the original warranty? They have to give you 3 months warranty by law (assuming it's from a trader).
Because the car is registered 02 plate, my assumption is that the original warraty might have expired. I only got the car 3 months ago that's why i am considering getting an extended warranty since i don't know how big this rattling problem might be.

#9 ·
Welcome to the 75 section. For more info on the VIS and Inlet Plenum issues take a look here... Click Me

Another expensive item unfortunately but it may help you to understand where the rattle is coming from. Try putting a screwdriver point on various parts and your ear to the other end (solid metal handle is better) and you can isolate exactly where the rattle is emanating from.

If it is the VIS motors these can be repaired if you are a little bit mechanically minded with a slight electronic bent. Do a search for VIS motors to find more info.

HTH

Edd

#12 ·
Hi i had a rattling from my manual ZT V6 then i got it, it drove me mad, the rattling was only then the engine was cold and in 1st gear as i took up drive and at low revs in 2nd. After 10mins it stopped, i ended up getting a 2nd hand front exhaust (the bit will the cats) from ebay and this stopped it.
I cut open my old exhaust thinking the cats will loose inside but no it turned out to be the inside of the flex joint was loose.

#13 ·
Thanx Si, i have a Rover 75 V6 Auto. do you think it might be the same problem like yours? The only thing is my 'rattling' sounds like 'two spanners hitting each other'. The sound is permanent and continous. When i rev, the rattling sound gets faint.

#17 ·
Thanx T-C. I am keeping two eyes on the rattling but i hope its not going to get worse. I could have given it a go by whay Mr. Edd posted but i am hopeless technically. I wish i can belike you guys. My garage has promoised to have a good look at it over next weekend.
By the way, my Rover is wired for the CD. What type would you recommend? I am hoping to get a CD Multichanger with a Sat Nav and where do you think i can get it from.

#18 ·
By the way, my Rover is wired for the CD. What type would you recommend? I am hoping to get a CD Multichanger with a Sat Nav and where do you think i can get it from.

Apparently the CD multichangers are a bit dodgy. Try one of the 2-Din head units from China including SatNav TV and Reversing Camera. Most are going over to these as they have a micro SD card port that I believe will take a 32 gig card. I think it will hold about 12000 tracks so far more then what the CD changer will carry. These are supplied by RadioGuy, have a look for his posts here or on t'other side in their ICE section.

Edd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.