For some, like me, there's no known cure. - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 21:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Cool For some, like me, there's no known cure.

... Gorn and done it again! My third MG ZT-T 1.8t... an 05 Reg example with moderate mileage in dull as ditchwater bland Grey... and ugly Black Gridspoke wheels just ripe for a decent refurb in Silver...Used the A-Frame to collect it .... try as I do, can only drive one car at any one time. A-Frame work surprisingly well and no need for second pilot.

Starts and drives fine but, overheats from coolant loss after a few miles according to the helpful previous owner. Not had a chance to look at it due to poor weather and bad light. Could simply be a worn or leaking hose leading to the so called "They all do that" scenario. Maybe something else. We shall see. Even if it has a damaged Cylinder Head Gasket, I shall enjoy the investigation and repair. This poor image was taken a few minutes before dark and the hand held camera has lied about light levels... It was much darker hence shaking image effect as the auto camera exposure action held the lens open to allow extra light. Hence poor image.

I'll get some better images in due course... no sign of any sunshine at all today. My camera is showing "clocks back" tonight time already.

My son who has more cars and projects than you can shake a stick at. He queried why I should get another. I explained that in a year or three's time, these opportunities will not be there. This ZT-T 1.8t has lots of potential, but, should effective repair not be a realistic proposition, it will be useful pool of parts for the two better ZT-Ts in the family.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 22:07
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Looks alright John. One of the later ones, XPG, trendy black wheels (were gridspoke an option on these? not in black of course) and the ZT's seem to hold there price better than the smaller models. Have fun.

gnu
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 22:30 Thread Starter
Supporter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Looks alright John. One of the later ones, XPG, trendy black wheels (were gridspoke an option on these? not in black of course) and the ZT's seem to hold there price better than the smaller models. Have fun.
Yes Gridspokes with much scuffing. They will be removed and refurbished in Silver. I dislike Black Alloy Wheels.

The three ZT-Ts bought over the past year or so are all MKIIs and all came with Gridpsokes. Mostly with large areas of protective coatings lifted by surface corrosion so all were refurbished.

This blue ZT-T 1.8t was a p/x taken in by a local used car dealership back in the summer. Would have been destined to suffer a premature end if I had not come along. It is now my daily driver complete with its refurbished Gridspokes in Brilliant White .... which I think are ...Brilliant. Previous owner pro-advised car had the "They all do that" so called HGF. Even the dealer told me the car has that problem and sold to me on that basis.. It did not, coolant loss due to perished coolant hoses as I discovered the first time I used the ZT-T at sustained higher legal speeds :~

This is the car. I like ZT-Ts. Quite a lot about locally too so yes, they are popular. I see more ZT-Ts rather than the also popular Rover 75 Tourer locally :~

B>>M>>W ....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 22:40
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Out of interest do these dealers call you when they get one in or do you just happen upon them?

Something like:
I've got an ZT trade-in, I'll call MG John!

gnu
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 00:01 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Out of interest do these dealers call you when they get one in or do you just happen upon them?

Something like:
I've got an ZT trade-in, I'll call MG John!
Yes, it can work like that but, very occasionally. Usually once in a blue moon...

Good idea to visit local dealerships. Particularly now with most nice old cars worth next to nothing at auction or in scrap value. Bargains to be had if you are polite and explain what your interests are.

Some years ago, soon after I retired, I had 500 business cards printed detailing my "amateur" interests in cars and car parts.

More often than not, initial contact with local dealerships originates from cars they put on ebay or in local classifieds. Done this more than six times over the past five years or so. Three ZTs included from dealers within say a fifteen mile radius of my home. Have looked at rather more though. Always on the look out for a bargain project. Being local, best to take advantage by going to have a look before bidding. I'm usually outbid ... you can't win 'em all...

That blue one was only four miles away. I went along to have a look at the car the dealership had on ebay before bidding. I was handed the keys and had a good look. However, after checking the car, I spoke to the staff there and gave details of what cars are of interest to me. Left one of my cards. I told them I would bid.

I bid what I felt was a good price to allow for any HGF work needed as mentioned in the ebay description. I was outbid and so thought nothing more of it.

Checking my answerphone some days later there was a message to say the top bidder had made no further contact so if I'm still interested in the car, my lower underbid they would accept. That happened soon after agreeing on the very same morning to buy another ZT ( Saloon ) from a different local dealership. So, circumstances conspired to make me buy TWO ZTs that same day!

TYPICAL.... London buses scenario... wait ages then several come along at the same time. Both were opportunities hard to refuse like this latest grey ZT-T.

Mind you, it's ages since I travelled on a Bus let alone a London One..

He who dares Rodders...

B>>M>>W ....

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 10:17
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Sounds like you're the real life wheeler dealer; Mike and Ed in one.! Keep it up - I'd like to do similar when I have time. Many years to go until there's any chance of retirement for me though. Until then enjoyable small projects that take ages to complete...

gnu
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 10:58 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sounds like you're the real life wheeler dealer; Mike and Ed in one.! Keep it up - I'd like to do similar when I have time. Many years to go until there's any chance of retirement for me though. Until then enjoyable small projects that take ages to complete...
Be patient. Your time will come soon enough particularly if you have a demanding job which consumes most of your time which for me has flown by!

I now have some time to do the things there was no time for when I had a demanding job. I could now put my feet up and sit in front of a TV screen all day. That's not me. I have the time for these things and will continue to do so for as long as it gives me pleasure. I have no deadlines to meet. I might work on a car from dawn to dusk or not touch one for a week or two.

It's an old cliche but very true. Now retired I'm so active I wonder where I found the time to do a full time job year in year out for over fifty years.

As the MG-Rover adverts reminded us all over ten years ago, life is too short not to. It really is.

Trouble is, us Brits in our wisdom formed queues to pay over the odds for cars not built here which many soon found were not all that after all . I have worked on them for friends and relatives so I know what I'm on about. ..Then allowed the asset stripped remnants known as MG-Rover to simply die. Some posters on the car enthusiasts web sites at the time expressed delight at the final demise of Longbridge once the receivers were called in. That after a Government turned its back on the thousands of jobs related to the now almost extinct British Car and other manufacturing Industries.

Whilst I type this, I have the Andrew Marr show ( BBC1 ) on at the same time. Marr is currently asking questions about the so called "British" car Industry NOW and how to protect it after severance of the parasitical umbilical cord of EU membership. What an oxymoron! Where was this ever so clever so and so and all the other cushioned against reality media smoothies asking those very valid questions all those years ago when that was a much more timely question to ask.

It's what we do ... correction, just maybe did after June 23rd.

Over the years, I have enabled a number of nice old cars to live on and avoid an unjust premature end. They live on in friends and family member ownership and look set to do so so a good few more years yet.

It's what I do....

EDIT to add ...

My Dad was a real wheeler dealer come Del Boy Londoner. He spent his life working hard trying not to work hard... that when not dodging bombs and stuff between 1939 and 1945 in London's East End. Here he is about 1965 with his wheeler dealer Minivan ....

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 30-10-2016 at 11:07.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 14:45 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up Talk about London Buses coming along in threes. How about this beauty?

Talking about London Buses coming along in threes. Now fours even! ..

TYPICAL! Get thee behind me ...

This looks an even better opportunity for me if I did not already have too much on my plate. In a more vibrant favourite colour too and not all that far away for a tow.

Turbo Temptation in vibrant Red

Must be strong and resist ....

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 03-11-2016 at 02:28.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 16:08
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
But for that small amount of money.... only clutch.... I would go there and see it. And left it for repairs later....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 17:25
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Resist - you'll probably fall out with the neighbors if you park up another car in the street...

gnu
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 16:44

Car: Rover 75 CDT, Metro 116,MGF VVC,Mrs JoCoLo's Panda 1.2 and Mstr JoCoLo's TF 115
Worth Keeping

MGJohn - My 75 is just coming up to the moon mileage and is now over 13 years old. Still used almost everyday and is just fine. These cars are worth it.

(Moon Mileage 225,000)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 20:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoLo View Post
MGJohn - My 75 is just coming up to the moon mileage and is now over 13 years old. Still used almost everyday and is just fine. These cars are worth it.

(Moon Mileage 225,000)
Who's moved the moon then? Thought it was a tad short of 250,000 miles ... on a good night... or, day come to think about it...

Ah but, yeah but, it has the BMW engine and not the Rover one otherwise your car would have self-destructed about five miles after leaving the showroom new. Well known fact. Been on TV and everything. Clarkson formerly at the BBC spearhead of British is rubbish, German is superior so must be kosher. They're all professionals so obviously know what they are talking about. OK, I lied about the latter. Shame on me for not believing most what those oh so clever media folks know.

Far too many over rewarded know-all know nowts on the TV and elsewhere where UK Motoring Journalists are involved with the now beyond endangered species former UK Indigenous Motor Industry is concerned... Extinction only a matter of time.

Not all, today I did something I rarely do. Bought a Motoring Magazine this month which was not Car Mechanics which I always buy each month. That other magazine being the relatively new:~ MODERN CLASSICS.

A delightful refreshing change to read a UK Car Magazine which is not always bad mouthing the products of Abingdon, Cowley and of course ... Longbridge.

Mind you, according to my "Always buys German" neighbour and the bloke I bought my Rover Turbo from, both assured me the reason all my MGs and Rovers are so powerful and reliable is because of their Honda Engines. I kid you not.

Media negativity influence John? No way. Simply does not exist. They know what they're on about ... after all they are highly paid professionals. Say it often enough and it becomes gospel. You heard it here last.

Right off to study the odds on tonight's Football. I'll back the foreign teams ... after all. The Brit teams are all losers... well known fact.

What's that hissing sound I can hear?...

Oh, just another cylinder head gasket letting go. Only happens every week there's a day in it..

Yow heard it here last ... (See what I did there... added a smidgeon of black country accent... )

... Does you good to have one occasionally ..

EDIT to Add @ 19:56

Quote:
Resist - you'll probably fall out with the neighbors if you park up another car in the street...
Yeah but, yeah but ... I have a cunning plan.

One of my properties has it's nearest neighbour a quarter of mile away. You can cut the peace with a knife... Bliss...

P.S.

Has Man C. scored yet?... after all they're playing some little known team of also rans...

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 01-11-2016 at 20:56.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 22:11

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Who's moved the moon then? Thought it was a tad short of 250,000 miles ...
The moon doesn't orbit the earth at a set distance; the moon-earth distance varies between 221500 miles and 252700 miles depending on the point of the orbit at which it is measured.

The average distance normally quoted is 238856 miles.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 23:43 Thread Starter
Supporter

05-Reg ZT-T Project. A set back. Trashed Wheel Arch Liner and lost ABS sensor.

This Sunday afternoon was the first opportunity to have a close look at my latest project and drive it on my own personal track. Yes it's an old cliche but I have one, a small oval in a few acres which for close to thirty years I've been turning into a mini Nature Reserve. My main interest outside family and cars being Natural History. The family and friends have spent many happy hours there from camping out in high summer. Lots of interesting wildlife to observe every visit. Even today disturbed a female Buzzard as I pulled up to the gate. Even fireworks on November 5th. Not this year though ... Twenty years ago, my two sons both learned how to handle a reasonably powerful car there well before they were old enough to drive. So did many of their school friends. Here's my eldest boy in an MG Montego 2.0i enjoying himself during his schooldays.

So, although a little overgrown in places, did a few laps in the ZT-T 1.8t to get the engine up to working temperature to assess the state of the Cooling System, Cylinder Head Gasket, Brakes ( V.good ) and other things. Pleased by what I've found so far. Right last lap gave it a bit more and as I took the very last turn there was a muffled explosion like running over say a supermarket 6 Pint Plastic Milk Bottle. Something was dragging in the front nearside wheel arch as I pulled up. Amazed by what I saw. Somehow, the complete Wheel Arch Liner had been ripped out of the wheel arch, taking with it the ABS sensor cable which was more of a concern. Yes, the ABS icon now glowed brightly Damn und blast ... Can only assume that in previous ownership, the Liner had not been fastened correctly for whatever reason, dropped down during spirited driving and became trapped under the wheel and so ripped out immediately! All part and parcel of old car projects. Have to take things like that in my stride.

The cooling system had been overfilled in previous ownership ( No air for expansion ) and yes it boiled over a little once parked up and with no air to expand into, escaped via the cap as loosened it a little. No healthy gentle hiss as with a healthy cooling system and CHG ... so looks like I will have to remove the Cylinder Head with this one which has a damaged gasket. Here's an image showing coolant on the Air Filter Housing :~

Lucky I had my Multimeter with me and some other tools. That included a length of old ABS cable prepared with both Blue Connectors. First I took readings on my "Control" car... my 55-Plate ZT-T which provided control guidelines of an known working ABS system for comparison with the faulty items on the 05-Plate ZT-T. Here is the set up using those off cut ABS cable connections I'd prepared previously. I have them for the various car types in the family ~ just in case. Which gave this and other readings from the control car's feed supply. :~

These were the range of readings for comparison. The final reading, the resistance of the cable to the wheel sensor, produced a big fat ZERO. 0.000. Not written down as the rains came down and had to pack up and cover the tools for a while. The paper is actually wet with the rain.

So looks like the car will need a replacement front nearside ABS Sensor. Deep joy removing the old one : rolleyes:

The rapidly changing weather and brief heavy shower soon had the car fully misted up on all the inner glass surfaces. So before packing up completely, opened up all the doors to allow the cabin to become fully aired and dry ... just as the weak Sun, now low in the sky and soon to disappear behind the Hills, shone brightly. Better late than never sunshine ... Yer Tis :~

B>>M>>W ....

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:27
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Bad luck - but better to find these things whilst scoping the work. May be worth having a good look under that loose arch to see why it's been off recently.

gnu
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:10

Car: Rover 25 (05 ), Rover 45 (05)
Having recently tried to replace an ABS sensor which I found impossible because of corrosion - it had welded itself in with rust, I ended up replacing the whole hub assembly.
Some hubs with ABS sensors on the ebay at 30ish.
MGJohn likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 17:17 Thread Starter
Supporter

Red face

Used this project for a few brief journeys just enough to warm the engine up despite often below freezing temperatures. Soon sees steam out from around the bonnet when you pull up and stop. This is what I saw when that happened. A jet of steam appearing to come from the Radiator Core or, more hopefully, from the Coolant Hose. The Fan was running at high speed so blows away the leak effectively disguising where the coolant leak is coming from. :~

View My Video

Later, with the powerful fan not operating, clearly the leak is from the short top hose attached to the T-Piece.

View My Video

So I will not need a new Radiator ... that's good news. Here's the problem. Could that be the prime reason for coolant loss in previous ownership? Loss leading to Cylinder Head Gasket damage from resultant overheating. Your guess is as good as mine but, it certainly wouldn't help.

It pays to lift car bonnets on scrapyard visits and having done so, I had a couple of good used spares including a pretty blue one. :~

I did not use that one... :~

Keen eyed observers will spot the OE Manufacturer's alignment Indexes on the hose are not lined up. To have correctly done so would have twist stressed that short hose... something to avoid for obvious reasons.

Very hard to spot unseen hose fatigue wear like that even by an observant car user who does lift the bonnet as all car user should do to check for pending problems. Losses of coolant at Motorway Speeds would be far more rapid because of higher coolant pressure with Motorway engine speeds. Hard to spot at engine idle speed. The previous owner obviously knew about coolant being lost but not where from. He had been topping up and when I checked the car the day I picked it up, the Coolant Expansion Bottle had been over filled to the top of the filler neck... leaving no air gap for expansion. The previous owner is a railway engineer so knows his way about a box of tools. Less so about what goes on under a car's bonnet.

There's always a reason for these things... always.

Ongoing...

B>>M>>W ....

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 17:25 Thread Starter
Supporter

You couldn't make it up.

Not touched this car for some days now, mainly due to unsuitable weather for working outside and having caught a nasty chest and throat infection which saps the energy. Now I know how HRH Liz ( and Phil ) felt recently.

Even so and despite that, dry underfoot today and light cloud without any threat of rain. An hour or so in the fresh air will be beneficial to my health and in the past, has aided a speedier recovery. Felt good to be outside and productively active again in the fresh air.

Right, will tackle that pesky CRANKshaft Pulley Bolt. The thick wodge of Invoices that came with this car included one for 1423.26 for Cylinder Head Gasket repairs which included sub-contracted bottom end repair on the same date: 17th September 2015. No doubt power tools used and that 22mm Crankshaft Pulley Bolt will be silly tight. So it proved. By the way, masses of work done on this car since 2011 ~ lots of useful renewals if they can be believed ~ and a quick count up of the Invoice totals came to ... wait for it ..

OVER 4000 ...

That since 2011! Truly ridiculous bearing in mind the wording for some of the completed work on those invoices. Lost count of the times I've seen something like that with "problem" used cars I've bought over the years.

Any road up. Back to the task in hand, still dry under foot and got all the tools in place and the car Jacked up securely on Axle Stands and front offside wheel removed. Even used my recently arrived Knee Pads which takes a lot of the pain and strain out of kneeling when working low on cars. Then guess what. Clouds moved in swiftly a large spots of rain falling and looking set to get heavier.

Sometimes I think the whole world, nay Universe is against me. Happens far too many times with perfect timing to be mere coincidence... GRRRRRHH. . No going back now.

Using my trusty 24 Volt impact driver no way would that 22mm Crankshaft move. Not a good sign it usually copes except when power tools in previous ownership means bolts silly tight.

OK, plan B involving my heavy duty 3/4" Drive Breaker bar and extension rested on anAxle Stand for more control. Always worked without fail for me in the past as this set up did precisely that ... in the past. Like this :~

First the BIG Breaker Bar with my son's fight foot heavy on the brake pedal with car is 5th Gear. That usually cracks it.

Then socket wrench to remove it.

Not this time though and now I'm getting really wet. OK, I know when I'm beat ... Here's the working area view just before I rapidly packed the now thoroughly soaked tools away.

Thing is, I lent my son my 240volt Impact Driver and so that is over thirty miles away. That usually makes short work of even those Bolts silly tight. This one. Will PM my son asking for a speedy return :~

Meantime, about an hour ago the rain stopped with clearing blue sky and bright sunshine before it disappeared behind the Hill. The Weather Gods really rub it in sometimes...

Just about to press Submit Reply button with my eyes streaming, and nose and chest sore. Worse than before. Not such a good idea to get some fresh air after all..
COLVERT likes this.

B>>M>>W ....

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 20:31

Car: R 75 Diesel. Plus Honda CB 1,000 R. motorbike. 130 bhp engine
Now why does the word MASOCHIST spring to mind ???

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 22:23
T4 Diagnostics

Car: R40, R41, P6, CB40, FL2, Imp, R56, Street Twin
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post

Oh how I wish I could share a pint with you sometime to compare notes. Alas being at the other end of the country it will likely never happen, however here's my take on jubilee clips.

The jubilee clips are prone to collapse the unsupported plastic t-piece, because they do not grip evenly and the plastic stub soon ends up egged with heat or even worse collapses with too much pressure applied. You would be better going back to the scrappy and also collecting some of that spring type of clips which give an even clamping force. There are a few spring clips fitted to a KV6 that will fit.

This is the reason folks end up cursing the original plastic t-piece and buy an alloy t-piece instead because during the life of the car the original swaged pips clips loose their tension and start to leak, the clips also cut into the easily cut turbo hoses leading to leaks. some folks cut a little bit off and fit them with a jubilee clip only to find them leaking again. If decent spring clips and a light touch are used you will not have an issue with the plastic t-piece.

Having spent the whole weekend on sons ZS180 doing the timing belts and finding all sorts of leaks. I found the dreaded jubilee clip bodger had been at it on plastic housings too and had collapsed the pipe.

Jubliee clips work well on older cars which are mainly fitted with metal stubs but if you use them on plastic you are asking for a problem if you cant control the tightness of the jubilee clip.

Some plastic stubs have metal inserts where the jubilee clip will work fine such as the intercooler hose on the turbo models. MG Rover in their wisdom unfortunately decided to omit inner metal sleeves from the plastic connection for one reason or another to the detriment of the vehicles life if some heavy handed person sets to the car.