Continuous heavy rain until early afternoon. Then fine Sunshine. Lifted the bonnet and in the superb light, looked behind and below the Inlet Manifold at the Starter Motor. One of the Solenoid Spade Connectors had become detached. That's why the car's engine wouldn't start! Reattached it and turned the Key. Engine burst into life.
Moral, ALWAYS check the simple things first, even in the dark! Convinced it was faulty, I was all prepared to remove the good starter from an SORN car. In the event, a few seconds to check and fix...
That drained Diesel Fuel from the sump overnight had done its job. It came out very black even after only ten miles of light running. Tipped it into the now empty GM ( Bought from local Vauxhall Dealership ) 10-40 Semi-Synthetic Engine Oil plastic bottle after filling the engine with the new oil. Will take old to the local Council Waste facility along with some other old engine oil in other plastic bottles. These images illustrate what is left in the engine after a routine engine oil change.
I want that remnant sludge out of my engines. It makes a BIG difference as I soon found when I drove the car later today. Nice near silent rustle from the Valve Gear at Idle ... no clacketty-clack Diesel Type noises from varnish sticking Cam Followers.
Then with all the tools cleared away, drove the car to a nearby garage and checked and adjusted the Tyre Pressures. One was showing only 18psi .. not bad since I last checked them months ago. Then drove home the long way ... adding about ten miles to the trip. As I left the Filling Station after the tyre check, a sleek Mercedes pulled up alongside at the Traffic Lights. Merc driver edging forward ready for the Traffic Lights change from Red..... Oh yeah. Now very confident in the car thought I would participate. The Merc driver was a millisecond or two quicker off the mark than my ZT-T. I held onto near the red line in first, second and part of third mainly alongside the Merc when my car edged in front and then the Merc dropped back quickly. This engine is good...
. Better, far better than I expected. Back home I checked the Top Coolant Hoses for excess pressure and an hour later, undid the Coolant Expansion Bottle Cap. Just the barest trace of a "Shuush" sound as the little remaining Cooling System Pressure was released. Good sign that with a still warm engine and the coolant level was where it should be.
Delighted with the way this car is shaping up now. I got some SPEEDFLush ready to put into the cooling system. Then I remembered I had fitted an Elastomer Cylinder Head Gasket to this engine and that aggressive Cooling System Flush may be too aggressive for the Elastomer Seals.
.. about that but, will not risk it. I will use one Dishwasher Tablet in the water only currently in the system then drain and flush. Then fit 50-50 "Blue" Antifreeze mix. I like my engines and their cooling systems to be very clean in their unseen insides.
Then the car will be my daily driver for a few weeks whilst I watch it like a Hawk.
There's one mechanical job remaining. When the nearside wheel arch liner dropped out and went under the front wheel, it tore out the ABS Sensor Cable. I have a new replacement but, reading some of the ABS fitting stuff on this and others sites it's not a task I look forward too.