Now that the major mechanicals have been completed, time to tie a few lesser loose ends. First thing this morning was to connect two new sensor purchases to the loom inside the engine compartment. First I connected the new Low Brake Pad Wear Sensor to its appropriate connector. The original had been abused and tied up out of the way as previously mentioned. I have taken images of that bodge and all the others I've come across in this car. I will post up all of them in a single post when the work on the car is completed.
When I first got this car, in previous ownership the nearside wheel arch was not secured properly. Driving over a bump, it dropped under the front wheel and was ripped out. That also took out the nearside front ABS Sensor's cable.
So, connected that to the spur connector on the wiring sub-loom. Although neither sensor fully fitted, the car's electrical management will not know that so, now the test. I switched on the ignition and was delighted to see the Brake warning and ABS warning icons no longer stayed on. Fully fitting these sensors will have to wait so I removed them and got on with other lesser tasks.
Firstly, I really dislike the monotone Horns on these later ZTs and 75s, false money savings measures resulting on a slightly lesser car and precious little real saving.
So, having recovered the complete twin tone horn sub-loom set up from an early car in a local scrapyard along with its 500Hz one Horn, fitted that. Fiddly and time consuming job rather than difficult. Here's the sub-loom in place. :~
Close up of the 500Hz Horn fitted :~
Then on to the replacement of the self-destructed Shannon Tube. The replacement fitted nicely and below it on the floor, the remnants of the original most of it long since extinct. Apparently, reading on-line, this is a genuine case of they all do that! ..
I also used some G3 rubbing compound on the headlamp lenses and they showed much improvement. Still a way to gho though but, another session with the G3 and they should show more improvement. This is how I accessed them. Much easier with all the stuff removed and out of the way :~
Future loose ends to be tied. Before putting the front back together, I will flush out the large Washer Fluid Reservoir. Years of Algae build up which when some dies off, then moves to block the various Screen Washer Jets. ... usually just in time for the next MoT...
Job for tomorrow.
Oh yes, a quick test blast on the Twin Tone Horn upgrade... That's much better. Enough to wake the dead and dozy jay walkers watching their mobiles rather than looking where they are going....