Spare time? whats that? I own a Rover - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By the chauffer
  • 1 Post By the chauffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 15:10 Thread Starter

Car: R75 Mk2 1.8t, Mazda6 (Gen 2) TS2- 2.2TD
Spare time? whats that? I own a Rover

Well in the last few weeks Ive been very busy, going through and sorting my new 75 out. I really want to get this finished so I cant start driving it. Problem is Ive also had work to do on my other car, engine stabilizer bar was shot, brakes need work and its service time again for it.

All seems well, just a few little niggly things.

So far done

1) simple engine service, just cheap plugs until I get her up to where I want, then throw in some NGK's. Leads, still need to do the coils. Cheap oil for a 1000 mile or so as a flush. New coolant.

2) new back box and fixed two blows. Tightened up the exhaust studs, as they were only finger tight.

3) lower engine bar

4) both lower arm bushes. What a pain that was, manged to snap one of the locking wheel nuts, so spent an hour getting that out. Then it only took half hour to change the bushes over.

5) front brakes replaced, new discs and pads. Cleaned up and serviced the rears as well, nothing need replacing as like new. Flushed the fluid as well. New pad sensors, as the dash warning wouldnt go out.

6) new tyres

7) Battery

Things to do

1) Still need to sort the non functioning fan out

2) I have a problem in the column for the Air-bag, light comes and goes if it gets moved.

3) both front drop links, there not to bad but came in the kit for the arm bushes. Top engine bar bush has started to tare, so that will need doing soon.

4) a few door/trim seals need putting on correctly

5) grab a inlet pipe to throttle body seal, the one on is ripped and wont seal fully.

6) sort out the milky head lights and a few screen scratches

7) clean up the body work, few scabby patches. Full valet and sort the trims out

8) Finishs service fully, fuel filter and coil packs

And finally 9) sort out the service light.

So hopefully wont be long now. Just getting a little impatient now and want to use it.

Any tips on the to do list, will be gratefully appreciated.
ajsmith66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 16:02
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
book a few days off work and clear your diary.

gnu
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 Thread Starter

Oh and forgot that I need to investigate why my reverse sensors aint working.

But I do have to say I love the car. Its so much more then my old 25.

Works not a problem, I have a very good boss. Although she hates the amount of receipts I end up with.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 14:22

Car: Rover 75
You seem to be following in my footsteps. I've had the car 2 1/2 years now and it has been a steady trek through the "usual suspects" but I'm getting there now. Everything is working as it should (touch wood) and just needs a bit of underbody tidying to be as pretty underneath as it is on top. The red oxide, black gloss and Bilt Hamner are at the ready, just waiting for a bit of higher temperature and sunshine.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:25 Thread Starter

Its not to bad to be honest. The engine fan is the most important thing, apart from that I can live with the rest for the time being, for me knowing what is wrong is more important than sorting them out. I just put them on a list and keep going.

Most of the body work should come up with a good T-cut, theres just one bit where a wall or pillar has gone down the rear wing and rear door on the near side.

Found that the reverse lights dont work either, looks like a new switch is needed and that should sort the sensors out as well.

Im getting there, half the battle is the bloody weather. The other half is the money side of things. But thats not to bad, paid 490 for the car, and so far Ive put something like 350 into it as well. So I think with the resr of things needed, it gonna owe me about a grand in total. So not to bad,, some may say thats a lot but Im saving another Rover, and to me thats worth it.
Matt.s likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 19:20

Car: MG ZT
Post some pics 😁

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 09:43

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Re the sensors, trying listening (very closely!) to all 4 with the car in reverse (obviously without the engine running :-)). There should be a slight ticking noise. One of mine was silent and the system just gave a single long bleep when putting it into reverse, then nothing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 14:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
Re the sensors, trying listening (very closely!) to all 4 with the car in reverse (obviously without the engine running :-)). There should be a slight ticking noise. One of mine was silent and the system just gave a single long bleep when putting it into reverse, then nothing.
Thanks but sorted it now, the reverse sensor was at fault, a new one quickly sorted it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 18:28 Thread Starter

Well Im slowly getting there, the list was

1) Still need to sort the non functioning fan out-> Sorted the fan was not plugged in.

2) I have a problem in the column for the Air-bag, light comes and goes if it gets moved-> Sorted loose connection

3) both front drop links, there not to bad but came in the kit for the arm bushes. Top engine bar bush has started to tare, so that will need doing soon-> Drop links done this week, top engine mount will have to wait, its not to bad yet anyway

4) a few door/trim seals need putting on correctly-> Sorted

5) Gap a inlet pipe to throttle body seal, the one on is ripped and wont seal fully-> sealed up for now with instant gasket, but a new one on order

6) sort out the milky head lights and a few screen scratches-> Had a go at these with t-cut, should pass MOT but I am gonna have another go over the weekend or when my polish kit turns up.

7) clean up the body work, few scabby patches. Full valet and sort the trims out-> Scabby patches still to go

8) Finishs service fully, fuel filter and coil packs.

9) sort out the service light-> Got a OBD service canceler the other day and it sorted this, not bad for 4 delivered.

Ive hard wired a dash cam in place, nearly had a few bumps recently. Done this to both cars, its just not worth not having one these days, for the price of them. Only cost me about 28 per car.

But now I have a engine light on, I need to read or get someone out to do it. My current reader wont read the 75.

Is there a cheap reader that read these cars? or am I best getting some one out to it.

Then its just the MOT, but Im not worried about that, car seems fine and should pass.

Last edited by the chauffer; 06-04-2017 at 18:34.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 19:10
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Good work

Your R75 looks a late one, so I expect a cheap OBD2 reader will do.

gnu
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Good work

Your R75 looks a late one, so I expect a cheap OBD2 reader will do.
Thats the thing, I have one for my mazda and it does loads of cars, reset loads for friends cars. But mine wont read it what so ever. The cars a 54 plate 1.8t facelift.

Last edited by the chauffer; 07-04-2017 at 11:14.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 17:38
gnu
Supporter

Garages
That's surprising, I thought all cars 2002 on were.

Assume you tried in different intuition states, including on and engine running?

gnu
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
That's surprising, I thought all cars 2002 on were.

Assume you tried in different intuition states, including on and engine running?
I have ye, multiple times. I thought it would have worked may have another go later.

Maybe a stupid Q, but is the car OBD or OBD2? Im sure is 2 but if not that maybe the problem Im having.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 13:00 Thread Starter

Well that was a successful few hours.

The engine light is sorted, god know what I was doing wrong before but I got it to connect first time and cancel the light.
Had two codes a missfire, which I knew would be there and a low bank for the cat. Canceled them off and been for a quick spin and so far they have stayed of, but time will tell.

Also bled the clutch, what a pain that was. But well worth it, the old fluid was like oxtail soup. Now the clutch feels so much better, its not snatching and the gear change feels so much smoother.

The exhaust has had a look at as well, the back box I got wasnt a great fit and needed a giggle.

Also changed the broken fog light on my Mazda, its been chipped since it got it last year, so was about time. That took most of my time, was only about 3 times harder than bleeding the clutch on the 75. Having to remove a cover for a cover and then the bumper strengthening beam and fighting between cross members, wiring and the rads and the inner bumper supports.

Oh just remembered, after loosing the R25 to the timing adjuster going, I feel very lucky. I just happen to check my belts the other, then thought Id check the timing belt. The bloody thing was loose and slapping needed adjustment. I was very lucky it hadnt skipped a tooth.
So thats another job to do, dont think its been to long since it was done, but still gonna get a full kit and get it done, just incase.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 20:34
gnu
Supporter

Garages
R75 timing belt or Mazda? Anyway, lucky you checked it! Back to the title of this thread then...

gnu
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:34 Thread Starter

The 75's belt.

I think the next thing to be done now will be the MOT, after a good blast over the moors. Every job Ive seem to have done just seems to make it that little bit better. Found little things on it, like loose bolts on the manifolds and throttle body, tightening them up have made big differences in the running, and make it perform so much better.

But I do wish I could get hold of the guy that did all the owrk and slap him silly for tightening bolts up in the first place, or not putting seals and pipes back correctly.