thermostat leak & the AA Breakdown Repair Cover - MG-Rover.org Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 17:24 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Car: '54' Facelift MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 SE
Posts: 176
thermostat leak & the AA Breakdown Repair Cover

Hi all!Here's a quickie! Always read the Term's & conditions of a contract!!
I've just heard that a ZT owner had coolant pouring into the "V".He had The AA Breakdown Repair cover,so thinking he was covered for the leak from the thermostat housing,he proceeded to drive the car to the garage for them to claim on the policy.

Turn's out that the leak would have been covered by the policy,but the AA refused to do the work because the car hadn't actually broken down,as he was able to drive it to the garage!!The cover is only valid if they attend the car in a breakdown situation!!Needless to say the ZT owner was not full of xmas cheer! so beware!I have the same leak again on mine so i guess i'll be calling themfrom the side of the road!

wishing everyone on the forum a merry xmas & happy 2010

cheers
kings
Vortac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 17:58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortac View Post
Hi all!Here's a quickie! Always read the Term's & conditions of a contract!!
I've just heard that a ZT owner had coolant pouring into the "V".He had The AA Breakdown Repair cover,so thinking he was covered for the leak from the thermostat housing,he proceeded to drive the car to the garage for them to claim on the policy.

Turn's out that the leak would have been covered by the policy,but the AA refused to do the work because the car hadn't actually broken down,as he was able to drive it to the garage!!The cover is only valid if they attend the car in a breakdown situation!!Needless to say the ZT owner was not full of xmas cheer! so beware!I have the same leak again on mine so i guess i'll be calling themfrom the side of the road!

wishing everyone on the forum a merry xmas & happy 2010

cheers
kings
Yep thats correct mate to claim on the policy you have to call out the AA i have home start so when mine started leaking i called them to the house two days later and a hire car (stay mobile on policy also) all fixed...

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 18:16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ashford Kent
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 3,524
Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
Tell him to ring the AA up again, and say that If he was a normal driver and just drove the car and not checked the water levels and just drove untill it boiled over then they would have to pay a lot of money with a new hg etc, but beause he checks his car he found the problem before it costs them more.

They said the same to me about my power steering pump leaking, but i said my little speach saying it would cost them more if i ran the system dry by not cheaking, they soon said yes they will pay for it!

But he needs to ring the AA first to come look at the car, then the aa man will do the leg work!

My car has never "broke down" but ive used it 3 times!
Alex30013k is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 18:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ashford Kent
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 3,524
Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
Also, they didnt want to give me a hire car, as my car could still be driven, but when i booked it in to be fixed i called them up and said i wasnt happy that i paid all this money not to have a car, and 5 mins later i got a call from a hire center, just ring! lol
Alex30013k is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 19:09 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Car: '54' Facelift MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 SE
Posts: 176
Martin when yours started leaking,what did you say to them?that you had a leak or ,that the car had overheated?
Vortac is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 19:12 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Car: '54' Facelift MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 SE
Posts: 176
Alex,apparently the AA went to the garage & told him the bad news in person!Is the hire car option in the contract?i don't recall seeing a clause pertaining to hire cars in the policy

kings
Vortac is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 19:33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ashford Kent
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 3,524
Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
I got the full package, i get a car if i break down,

Just try and call them, they will come round!
Alex30013k is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 20:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortac View Post
Martin when yours started leaking,what did you say to them?that you had a leak or ,that the car had overheated?
Nope i phoned up saying i had a water leak....(i knew what it was) and that i didnt want to drive the car....patrolman came out and said yes its a leaking thermostat. i drove the car down the local garage and they delivered me a hire car...i always let the garage phone up and sort out the details with the AA

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 21:01 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Car: '54' Facelift MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 SE
Posts: 176
Do the AA take the car to a garage of your choice or their choice?
Vortac is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 21:14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortac View Post
Do the AA take the car to a garage of your choice or their choice?
Your choice mate as long as it VAT registered i think.

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-12-2009, 23:32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Your choice mate as long as it VAT registered i think.

Martin
They do like a Nationwide Autocentre, part of the same group I believe. They towed my boys Corsa halfway across Hampshire to fix his gearbox linkage there. Good service as it could be argued it was wear and tear, sameday replacement, so no complaints.
pompeyrich is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 07:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyrich View Post
They do like a Nationwide Autocentre, part of the same group I believe. They towed my boys Corsa halfway across Hampshire to fix his gearbox linkage there. Good service as it could be argued it was wear and tear, sameday replacement, so no complaints.
Possible i suppose but it does say in the terms and conditions a garage of your choice.

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 07:49 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Car: '54' Facelift MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 SE
Posts: 176
Hmm!my nearest decent MG Rover garage is about 22 miles away in Herts! So i'll get it towed there!The thermostat was done in july '09,but it was the first MG the guy had done,though he looked fairly competent.However i was told that coolant is pouring into the V,so either the housing has failed or there's a bad seal ,or he nicked a seal ,apparently this is easily done when refitting thermostats!Worst case scenario bill will be 240,so the AA breakdown cover will pay for itself!
Vortac is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 10:01
Trader Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: stourbridge, west midlands
Car: MG Express (Van)
Posts: 5,138
Garages
you don't have to be vat registered I changed a intake manifold on a 190 under aa warranty for a custumer a lot of grief phoning them with the details cost of parts, mileage, service history, ect and am I sure it's the manifold how do you know it is blah blah
ts autos is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 11:01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Livingston
Car: MGZT 190 (mk2) & Mazda RX8 PZ
Posts: 1,102
You actually don't have to be recovered/towed to a garge... you just need to have been attended to by a roadside assistant to confirm the part needed fixed (which to be fair is not unreasonable, and it's all stated clearly in the T&C's)...
I had my thermostat replaced under the AA warranty without issue

I knew I was loosing water from somewhere & after some rummaging spotted the V-chamber was covered.... so I drove towards my favoured garage, and 'as if by magic' the temp gauge started going up & down en-route so I pulled over and called AA.

Roadside guy filled up the system & bled it... gave me an incident number, & I drove the rest of the way to the garage.. with that incident number I called in to the AA and they confirmed that I could get the garage to proceed with the investigation/strip/down & then they should call in to them with the price to get the final OK.

All went fine...
gorrieman is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 12:08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrieman View Post
You actually don't have to be recovered/towed to a garge... you just need to have been attended to by a roadside assistant to confirm the part needed fixed (which to be fair is not unreasonable, and it's all stated clearly in the T&C's)...
I had my thermostat replaced under the AA warranty without issue

I knew I was loosing water from somewhere & after some rummaging spotted the V-chamber was covered.... so I drove towards my favoured garage, and 'as if by magic' the temp gauge started going up & down en-route so I pulled over and called AA.

Roadside guy filled up the system & bled it... gave me an incident number, & I drove the rest of the way to the garage.. with that incident number I called in to the AA and they confirmed that I could get the garage to proceed with the investigation/strip/down & then they should call in to them with the price to get the final OK.

All went fine...
Yep sounds about what happened to me mate....easily sorted.

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 16:18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newark
Car: Rover 75 Club 2.0
Posts: 305
Am I the only one who's had a bad deal with the AA then? On my previous 75 I noticed a knocking on the front wheel. Called the AA man who said it was the upper joint on the strut (or something like that). Took it to my local garage for repair. They called the AA for payment and AA refused to pay arguing that it was wear and tear.
DaveyDave is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 16:29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Workington and Sheffield
Car: MG ZT CDTi
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Am I the only one who's had a bad deal with the AA then? On my previous 75 I noticed a knocking on the front wheel. Called the AA man who said it was the upper joint on the strut (or something like that). Took it to my local garage for repair. They called the AA for payment and AA refused to pay arguing that it was wear and tear.
they refused to pay for my flywheel, putting it down to wear and tear. the thing is they could probably argue that with just about anything, although most folk do seem to do ok out of them.
KevBrm is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-12-2009, 16:42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helensburgh
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Am I the only one who's had a bad deal with the AA then? On my previous 75 I noticed a knocking on the front wheel. Called the AA man who said it was the upper joint on the strut (or something like that). Took it to my local garage for repair. They called the AA for payment and AA refused to pay arguing that it was wear and tear.

As i have said always paid out for me 1700 worth. Head gasket for my 160, drive shaft, water pump, thermostat, few others i cant remember...

Martin
tazman3 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AA Breakdown Cover Gareth1982 MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400 14 12-12-2009 13:30
AA Breakdown repair cover??? mgf88 MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 12 30-04-2009 20:53
Anyone taken out AA breakdown cover? kelvin MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros) 50 23-12-2008 12:52
AA Breakdown repair cover baggyboy MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 6 17-01-2007 21:53
The AA - Breakdown Cover with Parts/Labour Cover parsec MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 12 10-06-2005 19:30

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome