TOAF worry ye not! - Page 11 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
post #201 of 523 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 21:54

Car: 2004 MG ZT+ CDTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Earlier I'd asked if it would be possible to have the cruise control come on by default just like the rear demister does in winter.
You can actually do this very simply electrically - you just join two wires behind the switch.

Cruise Control - remember speed? - The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 523 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 23:11

Modified my cables to bridge the pins, and it's working great - I've added a switch just in case I need to connect it to another car in future.

I can now communicate with all my modules!

The good:
It works!
It's cheap (free)
I can change a lot of the things that've bugged me for years
The realtime logging looks FANTASTIC. Far too much data to display it all at once (perhaps where the much more limited Torque works better), but I can see trying to track down an intermittent ABS fault being super easy with this
Fault codes - no more guessing which corner the ABS system isn't happy with. It tells me. That literally saves me hours!

The not so good (not bad!)
Lots of options, and not much explanation of what they do
Some text is poorly translated (not the end of the world)
I'd like the interface to be bigger (i.e. maximisable)
Ideally I'd like to be able to export all the fault codes to a file so I can go away and look them up
Lots of fault codes! e.g. every mislock, blown bulb etc - but hardly the softwares fault if the car reports them
Some terminology isn't as I'm used to - i.e. IKE etc

Things that would be nice
Battery voltage display at all times in the software (if remotely possible). I dread to think what happens if it runs out of power mid-reprogramming of a module.

I can't stress enough how handy this is going to be - especially for diagnosing ABS faults. Bane of my life.

Questions:
Has anyone tested turning off the bulb warning feature? Surely that'd save loads of money instead of buying "no error" LED bulbs that just waste power with a resistor?
post #203 of 523 (permalink) Old 21-04-2016, 23:35

Car: Rover 75
Yes, you can turn off every bulb monitoring for example, we turning off reg plate bulbs, and using less without can.

FAQ and how to is still to do at our list.
With translation we do what we can, sorry, but most important was to public software, even with some translation errors is still enough simple to understand.

Bigger interface - maybe later , when soft will be good enough to tweek its visible side.

Names of modules like IKE - instrument cluster or LSM - light switch module are stay as original same as in omitec soft.

About battery voltage, this is good idea, I will report this to Marcin.Misek.

Srs... You are lucky with this module... Newer modules have problems with communication

-----------------------

NEW version available .43

Last edited by longer86; 22-04-2016 at 09:00.

post #204 of 523 (permalink) Old 22-04-2016, 18:10

Car: Rover 75 1.8T Connoisseur
New version available on the website 0.5.00.43.

Regards John
post #205 of 523 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 14:59

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
I am surprised it has taken this long to finally get some software produced for the after market user that is free/cheap and seems reasonably useful.

Cloned versions of lots of makes are available and have been for years for other makes mostly coming from China.

It is great for DIY users no doubt but sadly quite a bit too late for most, the number of 75 and ZT's on the road are dwindling and will continue to do so.

A quick look for them fro sale on Autotrader for example these days does not bring many results usually.

Last edited by simcor; 01-05-2016 at 15:04.
post #206 of 523 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 16:14 Thread Starter

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcor View Post
I am surprised it has taken this long to finally get some software produced for the after market user that is free/cheap and seems reasonably useful.

Cloned versions of lots of makes are available and have been for years for other makes mostly coming from China.

It is great for DIY users no doubt but sadly quite a bit too late for most, the number of 75 and ZT's on the road are dwindling and will continue to do so.

A quick look for them fro sale on Autotrader for example these days does not bring many results usually.
The sad fact is that it had been cracked but not put out. I've only had a Rover 75 a year and this was the BIG thing that I couldn't keep my mouth shut about.
Someone who I had ferocious arguments with is openly saying now that there was a Cartel in place. People had to regard others as their friends or risk excommunication as I have suffered. Its understandable but wrong and we are free'd from those shackles now.
Me even more so as I'm going over to Mercedes
post #207 of 523 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 19:35

Quote:
The sad fact is that it had been cracked but not put out. I've only had a Rover 75 a year and this was the BIG thing that I couldn't keep my mouth shut about.
Someone who I had ferocious arguments with is openly saying now that there was a Cartel in place. People had to regard others as their friends or risk excommunication as I have suffered. Its understandable but wrong and we are free'd from those shackles now.
Me even more so as I'm going over to Mercedes

As you know Shawn there was the Remote T4 alternative which sadly I was the only one to benefit from. It also met disapproval and while perhaps it was in beta stage and in need of refinement, I feel had it just received support it would have been in my mind the grail. And a source of income to the experienced individual capable of supplying such services but the T4 owners would have had to put aside their “not on my patch” mentality.

The innovator moved to another forum, and the T4 operator moved on too. Occasionally I hear whispers of a gent in the London area with a T4 who is known to travel some distances to help others despite his poor health but his asking for petrol expenses didn’t fit the business model of the “club”.

But TOAF is a most welcome addition, sadly I must admit I’m fumbling trying to understand it and would have much preferred to pay someone to do what is to me the complicated bits. Maybe someone with more understanding will use Teamviewer someday and help us mere mortals with tuning, key programming etc - and earn a few bob along the way. But not trading you understand!

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, and indirectly providing a sanctuary from the groupies. And good luck with the Mercedes.

Mike
post #208 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 13:33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse v8 View Post
As you know Shawn there was the Remote T4 alternative which sadly I was the only one to benefit from. It also met disapproval and while perhaps it was in beta stage and in need of refinement, I feel had it just received support it would have been in my mind the grail. And a source of income to the experienced individual capable of supplying such services but the T4 owners would have had to put aside their “not on my patch” mentality.

The innovator moved to another forum, and the T4 operator moved on too. Occasionally I hear whispers of a gent in the London area with a T4 who is known to travel some distances to help others despite his poor health but his asking for petrol expenses didn’t fit the business model of the “club”.

But TOAF is a most welcome addition, sadly I must admit I’m fumbling trying to understand it and would have much preferred to pay someone to do what is to me the complicated bits. Maybe someone with more understanding will use Teamviewer someday and help us mere mortals with tuning, key programming etc - and earn a few bob along the way. But not trading you understand!

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, and indirectly providing a sanctuary from the groupies. And good luck with the Mercedes.

Mike
I second those thoughts, good luck with your new car. As mentioned for us that wish to continue the use of TOAF to keep our cars on the road, can but hope anyone using TOAF,finding out more about how it works and what can be done,they document it for other members knowledge.
skeleboy likes this.
post #209 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 18:48

Ok time for a techy question.

I need to do some datalogging of my car.

Specifically, I need to monitor the ABS modules inputs - all four wheel speeds.

Can TOAF log to a file?
post #210 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 20:22

I don't remember if abs section have live data?

If yes and toaf connects with your abs module...

Live data tab: Right click. Choose what you want to log...
Then select group which you created, push start and go for a drive, after this you gave to click save data log...

But I am not sure if live data is in abs.. You have to check
post #211 of 523 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 22:34

Quote:
There was someone the other day asking how he could get his LSM coded and I couldn't believe no one said "TOAF" made me laugh when Brian said BMW scanner That was cheeky!
That someone was me, and it wasn't at all funny. There is a LOT of BIAS on the other side. If I don't know something I will ask, when you saw a reply that you thought to be "misleading", would it of hurt you to let me know?

Fortunately for me one of the TOAF developers PM'd me and let me know how easy it was with TOAF, I felt that was very decent of him (especially in light of the treatment on the "other site") and I would like to publicly thank him.

Last edited by Vanbursta; 09-05-2016 at 23:02.
post #212 of 523 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 23:53
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
That someone was me, and it wasn't at all funny. There is a LOT of BIAS on the other side. If I don't know something I will ask, when you saw a reply that you thought to be "misleading", would it of hurt you to let me know?

Fortunately for me one of the TOAF developers PM'd me and let me know how easy it was with TOAF, I felt that was very decent of him (especially in light of the treatment on the "other site") and I would like to publicly thank him.
Think the other site is slowly coming around, there is now a thread which is getting used and not shut down or drawing as much animosity on it so thats a good sign.
As I have mentioned, TOAF is a brilliant tool but if I intended on mucking around with the modules (ECU etc) I think I would still seek out somone who knew alot more than I and who could access the whole cars system like a T4.
Unfortuately there is neither people with knowledge or T4s anywhere near me to I (We!!!) need to master our TOAF skills and figure out exactly what it can or cant do and use the knowledge and help of people who do know the electronics of these cars inside out !!!
I have seen all the modules you can copy to each other and I for one are not game to use it.
I think Longer86 stated they were for changing IPKs etc.
Strange thing is I actually see TOAF may in fact create work for the T4 guys as some people will see what can be done in their cars and TOAF may not be able to do all that is required.
All depends how far Marcin and his mates take the TOAF program ??.
post #213 of 523 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
If I don't know something I will ask, when you saw a reply that you thought to be "misleading", would it of hurt you to let me know?
Believe me I would have said but I'm banned over there for enquiring about the electronics and remapping a couple of cars and complaining about the fee being charged for the 160.
I'm a terrible man sorry!
Though Brian wasn't being misleading.
post #214 of 523 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:31

Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
just a question is Cold bulb monitoring what I need to switch off to stop having bulb warnings?
post #215 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:47

Quote:
Believe me I would have said but I'm banned over there for enquiring about the electronics and remapping a couple of cars and complaining about the fee being charged for the 160.
I'm a terrible man sorry!
Though Brian wasn't being misleading.
I didn't know you were banned, you didn't need to tell me over there, I have been a member here since 2007.

And I didn't say you were a bad person.

I am surprised at the prejudice on the other side though, it used to be very friendly but not so much any more.
post #216 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:04
Supporter

Quote:
I didn't know you were banned, you didn't need to tell me over there, I have been a member here since 2007.

I am surprised at the prejudice on the other side though, it used to be very friendly but not so much any more.
Must admit I was a bit suprised at some of the reactions that appeared when TOAF arrived on the other site but seems to have subsided now a bit.
Probably understandable though if some people thought their livelyhoods were going to be affected but in reality somthing like TOAF wont be buried as to many people want to find out about it or wish to try using it.
Already been worth the "donation" for me !!!
post #217 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:33 Thread Starter

Quote:

It could have been that my mentioning it here got someone to PM you there.
I was just joking about the "terrible man" thing,
Though I probably am!
EDIT: Did you manage to do the job anyway?
AND: if you think they've been hostile so far wait until the remaps start.

Last edited by Shawn; 11-05-2016 at 12:41.
post #218 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 13:28

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Probably understandable though if some people thought their livelyhoods were going to be affected ....
Especially when a certain person was pushing TOAF forward with a thinly disguised gloating undertone which suggested great pleasure at seeing T4 services providers being put out of business (which of course they won't be unless/until someone extends TOAF or creates software to accommodate all the other Rover Group/MG Rover/MG Motor models - the 75/ZT isn't the only car there is, in spite of what some owners appear to think )
post #219 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 13:40 Thread Starter

"A certain person" has noticed that when he was over there getting kicked about that there was only a few "thin blue" people.

Now when you look at the bottom of the home page its about 25%.
There is a problem with the culture where "thick blue" people think that because they pay they can do and say what they like,and they have been allowed to do so to the extreme.

I wanted to be master of my own electronics,I felt like the car was rented with only a few people having the "keys to the kingdom".

Others are echoing those same words now.
Poke me at your peril.
post #220 of 523 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 13:51

I must admit I agree with you. I have always thought that there is a clique of people who have and can use T4, that don't want us mere mortals to mess with our cars. I think that TOAF is great and also that the guys who developed it should be given more appreciation, it's such a pity that some people find TOAF a threat and have to put it down as much as possible, I guess if you have invested in a T4 then lose the monopoly it makes you sore! I dared to mention the fact that it felt like a members only club, and I got shot to pieces, some of the PM's I got were almost threatening, so I know exactly what you mean, it really is a pity we can't all just play nice. There are some T4 operators who are open minded about TOAF, but quite frankly I am fed up with TOAF being slagged off, those guys wrote the program for our* benefit and they didn't have too, they could of stopped because of the negativity, but they didn't and I for one really appreciate it. Sure you could probably damage something if you don't know what you are doing, but surely you wouldn't try to commit a change if you were not certain? at the very least if you are going to use TOAF make sure you know your limitations, and if in doubt ask. NOBODY knows it all straight away - we all have to learn. I have been a hardware engineer for 36 years and I am still learning.

*By OUR I mean all people worldwide with a 75 / ZT

I also am not referring to any one particular T4 operator

and finally a quick note for those from "the other side" changing your username doesn't change the IP address you are posting from so don't count on anonymity.
Shawn, keith8000_0 and skeleboy like this.

Last edited by Vanbursta; 11-05-2016 at 18:13.