traction control light - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 00:26 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Rover 75
traction control light

Ive got a traction control light which stays on all the time and the tc switch is non functioning.
Common problem I see and ive read loads of posts re the same issue but not found anyone who has posted a resolution to the issue.
The TC unit is working,can here it doing its startup check when switched on and the cog is free.
Any info from anyone solving this issue.
Ive read if its the wheel sensors you usually also get an ABS light and TC light which I dont have so any info appreciated.
Anyone solved this issue ?

Edit - - just went and had a look at the TC and did a bit of testing,had a new wheel sensor laying around so just to check that it wasnt somthing like that,plugged into both front sensors,no change !! . Unplugged they both threw up the ABS warning on the screen sp they both appear to be working.
Unplugged the traction control unit and it still came up with the Tc fault symbol but suppose it would anyway if it was unplugged.
One thing is interesting, I switch the car on and off a few times in a row in position 1 (not start it) get the engine disabled light with a cross through it and it wont start until it disconnect the battery and reboot the car. Normal start stop during the day seems fine so maybe it dosnt like the on / off thing

Last edited by genpk; 11-12-2016 at 05:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:14
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
I can see that you have this problem way back from 2009.

Common problem of TC light is within actuator Rover 75/MG ZT Actuator - Secondary Throttle - Traction Control at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

White plastic gear is prone of stripping and loosing cogs. Last year I helped one member local to me to resolve this problem and solution was to replace white gears within actuator.
You can see excellent pictures of this resolution from another member on this forum as well: Traction Control light stuck on
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:59 Thread Starter
Supporter

Yes,had something similar some time ago but this time the cog and actuator seem fine unlike last time when the cog was jammed.
Even plugged a spare one I have in and still got the TC light so appears to be something else I think as even the TC switch is not working.I assume that as the TC unit turns on startup that it's working.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 19:59

From time to time Iíve tried to understand the traction control system. Initially people said it was just a dumb mechanical unit that closed the air flap to slow the car down.

Iíve since learnt that step is just the second of the three settings the abs TC ecu can call for

1st. Application of the brakes but if that doesnít help then
2nd Reduction in the amount of air entering the engine via the secondary throttle, but it that doesnít help
3rd Request for a reduction in engine torque via the can bus system

I havenít noticed this extra can bus link on the non TC abs units. Nor do I know whether this communication is checked during the first initialisation procedure, but would guess so as itís part of the redundancy

Wondering if your error is pointing to a failure in communications between the abs TC ECU and the Engine Management ECU.

Someone understands this any better?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 22:34 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse v8 View Post
From time to time Iíve tried to understand the traction control system. Initially people said it was just a dumb mechanical unit that closed the air flap to slow the car down.

Iíve since learnt that step is just the second of the three settings the abs TC ecu can call for

1st. Application of the brakes but if that doesnít help then
2nd Reduction in the amount of air entering the engine via the secondary throttle, but it that doesnít help
3rd Request for a reduction in engine torque via the can bus system

I havenít noticed this extra can bus link on the non TC abs units. Nor do I know whether this communication is checked during the first initialisation procedure, but would guess so as itís part of the redundancy

Wondering if your error is pointing to a failure in communications between the abs TC ECU and the Engine Management ECU.

Someone understands this any better?
Great post, yes I agree, there is more to this system than meets to eye !!
This is how I see it, startup sequence ,ECU sends signal to traction control actuator unit,that activates and pulls the flap closed and then releases it.This action is detected by a rotary pot (sensor)on the left hand side of the throttle body (drivers side) and then sends a response back to the ECU.
I pulled out the sensor and cleaned it as much as I can (its semi sealed) but still no joy.Maybe the sensor is shot.
Be interesting to see if somone knows the pot values so we could measure them for resistance.
I notice it looks identical to the sensor (throttle position) on the other side of the throttle body so not sure if they are inter changable or not
Im going back into the ECU using TOAF as I have some vague recollection the the traction control box was ticked "disabled"
on the menu.
As far as I can see,unless some other thing in the car (airbag light etc) makes the screen throw up the TC light NOT SURE.
but I did try to spin the front wheels on some sand but interestingly the traction control did not kick in at all as it does in both my other cars.
This would suggest either the wheels are not detecting the spin or sending the signal or the system (ecu ?) may not be receiving the the signal ??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 Thread Starter
Supporter

Ok, the saga continues, Im documenting this as I go as it might be of help to somone in the future who has a similar issue.
Got the key coding from Marcin, using TOAF, the BCU accpted the key and asked me to synchonize the key.
Tried pressing the lock button on the key numerous times,still nothing.
Thought then it must be the RF receiver unit that sends the key signal to the BCU located behind the instrument cluster.
I had a secondhand spare one, put that in, still nothing.
Checked a few fuses but they all appeared fine.
So it appears the BCU is doing the right thing re accepting new keys but it appears its not receiving any RF signal , either I have had 2 dud RF receivers (improbable ??) or the key although appearing to operate (red light flashes when buttons pushed) maybe faulty.
Only other option I may have is to try and code a known working key from one of my other Rover 75 s .
The saga continues!!!
As for Traction control, TOAF tells me somthing about a right hand wheel sensor so next port of call re that !!!
I assume the wheel sensor is different to the brake wear sensor ??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:24

Good luck with the key solution - I've never even tried Toaf and key coding so you're well ahead of many there.

Yes the brake wear sensor is different to the wheel sensor. The wear sensor is just a wire that gets cut when the pad material wears low.

Spinning on sand should activate the sensor, mine works but at minus 13 this morning, I get it with ice / snow, I also get the TC warning symbol on the message centre IPK.

Regards
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:09

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
The saga continues!!!
As for Traction control, TOAF tells me somthing about a right hand wheel sensor so next port of call re that !!!
I assume the wheel sensor is different to the brake wear sensor ??
Its the ABS sensor I think??????
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

A bit of progress !!!
Finally got rid of the airbag light!!!
After cleaning all the connectors under the front seats,unbolted the front drivers seat and found the side impact airbag sensor under the carpet,under the drivers seat.
Pain to get to but managed to unplug it and cleaned the contact pins and it did the trick !!
My guess is if you have an airbag light and have tried the under seat connectors but still have the warning light, its probably the drivers side impact sensor.
Still got the remote key locking and traction control light to sort out but im getting there!!!

edit - just had another go at the remote key issue.Went down to the local electrical shop to see if they had a RF signal detector, and they did have one but it wasnt quite what i was after but I did manage to test the suspect key and it appears to be emitting an RF signal when the button is pressed.
Next pulled out the RF receiver unit behind the instrument cluster,took the wire plug off,put a voltmeter onto the 2 pins on the wire plug and there appears to be voltage (not sure what its supposed to be) but it is present.
I think these units are inter changable as long as they are the same MHZ (433 in my case) and have read some Landrover guys that use the same unit have just swapped theirs over without issue.
As mentioned I did try another spare unit I have but that didnt seem to change anything.
I suppose I could have 2 dud receivers but unlikely.
Next option - pull a known good RF receiver out of one of my other cars and try that.
or the key I have is not the right frequency ?? (it appears to be the key that was loaded into the BCU originally so cant see any issue) or the BCU is unable to receive the signal from the receiver due to some issue in it ??

EDIT - Key SUCCESS !!!
Had the key checked and was told it was transmitting at 433mhz so assumed it was the car not the key.
Decided to code a known working key from the wifes Rover 75 to the BCU AND LOW AND BEHOLD it recoded using the new key (using TOAF 42?) and now have remote locking on the car via the key working.
The original key is still not working so must be a fault in that keys RF transmissions even though it is transmitting ??
Interestingly, when re coding the key, it did not ask for the key to be resynchronized ,it asked for the BCU to be resync'd.
Basically the "how to " that was posted it pretty spot on.
You will however need TOAF 42 as all other more recent versions (44 onward) will not work.
I will point out the I did get in touch with Marcin re getting a password to recode the original existing key that was already listed in the BCU which he helped out with free of charge so good kudo's to him.
Also the expertise of Brian (marinabrian) and Phil (Philt4) were both also of great help as well so hat off to all!!!
The old doer upper is slowly getting back together, just re licenced her and next is paint work !!!

Last edited by genpk; 17-12-2016 at 00:41.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-12-2016, 09:20 Thread Starter
Supporter

Just finshed cutting the clear coat off on the boot,roof and bonnet and re primed all of them in black base coat ready for a new coat of Copperleaf tomorrow!!
Not looking to good with the weather forecast of 41c, - paint will go off too quick !!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:53

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Great post, yes I agree, there is more to this system than meets to eye !!
This is how I see it, startup sequence ,ECU sends signal to traction control actuator unit,that activates and pulls the flap closed and then releases it.This action is detected by a rotary pot (sensor)on the left hand side of the throttle body (drivers side) and then sends a response back to the ECU.
I pulled out the sensor and cleaned it as much as I can (its semi sealed) but still no joy.Maybe the sensor is shot.
Be interesting to see if somone knows the pot values so we could measure them for resistance.
I notice it looks identical to the sensor (throttle position) on the other side of the throttle body so not sure if they are inter changable or not
Im going back into the ECU using TOAF as I have some vague recollection the the traction control box was ticked "disabled"
on the menu.
As far as I can see,unless some other thing in the car (airbag light etc) makes the screen throw up the TC light NOT SURE.
but I did try to spin the front wheels on some sand but interestingly the traction control did not kick in at all as it does in both my other cars.
This would suggest either the wheels are not detecting the spin or sending the signal or the system (ecu ?) may not be receiving the the signal ??
I to have this problem 29th no solution to add is there anyone from ROVER with a definative answer to this problem as it seems to be happening a lot I am putting all New sensors on all four wheel next week and hope that worldwide me luck will let everybody know the result
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 20:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

I eventually sorted this out and found the traction control unit was faulty which I changed and the warning light disappeared