What to replace ZTT Cdti with?? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 01:04 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZTT
What to replace ZTT Cdti with??

Hi Guys its a sad day but a descion has been made to rid out the ZTT CDTI.

Love the car just cant take any more of the repair bills.

just 3 yrs old, lost warranty through rover collapse, a week later injectors fail, major break down. $$$$$$

Next service MG report fan failure replacement fan 500, said if i dont do it Air Con will fail and cost 2000 to repair.

Now another breakdown problem unknown, awaiitng diag. more $$$$ i bet

Car only done 60k and is running into thousands of pounds in repair bills, hundreds of pounds in tyres and only 30 miles to the gallon.

I dont have a clue what to replace it with as i love the car style etc but i need a reliable car that doesnt cost 2000 a year in repair bills. German Maybe? Jap? volvo saab?

The only other option i have to keep the car is to marry a Rover Dealers daughter. Do any of you know any
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 07:52

Car: BMW 330d M-Sport
It does sound like you have had a lot of bad luck. The fan issue is quite common although if you do a search on here there is a cheap fix for about 50 from what i understand.

The injector issue is unusual, not heard of anyone else having this problem.

What is the current problem?

With regards to replacement the new Passat estate TDi sport looks good, much better than the saloon version.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 08:01

Car: mgf 1.8vvc
Have you considered replacing it with a more reliable ZT-T?

From what people write on here, you do appear to have been incredibly unlucky and picked up a Friday afternoon car....

Bear in mind though that given the ludicrous pricing for 75s & ZTs at the moment, unless you have a large chunk of additional cash to throw at your new purchase, you're either going to be forced to sacrifice a lot of the spec or get something significantly older, and therefore likely to be as or more expensive to run.

Finally, don't forget to decide how much value to place on such a wonderful, supportive owner community in your equation

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 08:09

Car: MG ZT
I would try another ZT-T or 75 Tourer, I'm sure you'll be luckier next time.

You'll find it impossible to find another estate with the looks and value of the ZT-T.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 10:04 Thread Starter

car swop

I have to agree with the last posts, the car looks great and drives great. Get a lot of looks as it isnt as common as other euro boxes.

I keep repairing the car as i like it.

To replace it with something the same spec would cost 20k + which when your planning a wedding isnt good news. do like the new a4 avant tdi sport though.

But reading around there seems to be a number of common faults, pumps, sensors, ecu, and fans all of which cause break down and all of which end with a 500-1000 pound repair bill.

also to note when i reverse there is a strange noise comming from what sounds to be the clutch. I take it that this not normal and probably another common fault.

reversing strange noise, air con on = bottle nose whale in engine makeing starnge noise. Although the car has fixed these by not starting at all again. No start = No noise.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 10:07

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTTBoy
But reading around there seems to be a number of common faults, pumps, sensors, ecu, and fans all of which cause break down and all of which end with a 500-1000 pound repair bill.
Don't be put off by reading these forums, remember it's only a tiny minority of owners who suffer problems but a large majority of those suffering problems post on the forums. If you know what I mean !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 10:18

Car: CityRover
Hold onto your ZTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTTBoy
Hi Guys its a sad day but a descion has been made to rid out the ZTT CDTI.

Love the car just cant take any more of the repair bills.

just 3 yrs old, lost warranty through rover collapse, a week later injectors fail, major break down. $$$$$$

Next service MG report fan failure replacement fan 500, said if i dont do it Air Con will fail and cost 2000 to repair.

Now another breakdown problem unknown, awaiitng diag. more $$$$ i bet

Car only done 60k and is running into thousands of pounds in repair bills, hundreds of pounds in tyres and only 30 miles to the gallon.

I dont have a clue what to replace it with as i love the car style etc but i need a reliable car that doesnt cost 2000 a year in repair bills. German Maybe? Jap? volvo saab?

The only other option i have to keep the car is to marry a Rover Dealers daughter. Do any of you know any
Hi ZTTBoy,
Just a thought! Why not purchase a good quality warranty? When MG Rover failed my car still had nearly 2 years warranty left so I purchased a 3 year warranty which gives a little peace of mind. The company I'm with have a sliding scale re age and mileage, so it could be worth your while to consider this method to protect your wallet. I appreciate there are warranties and warranties, so great care must be taken in choosing one. Fortunately to date, I have not had any cause to use it for my 75 Tourer.
Regards
Telfer

PS The fuel consumption seems very high for a diesel, my 1.8 Tourer is returning 34/35 mpg on local running and on a recent trip to Liverpool from Scotland returned 37.2 mpg. I feel therefore something is amiss with your diesel engine settings. I would have thought you should be able to see fuel consumption being at least in the upper thirties for local work and well into the forties for longer distance running. T.

Last edited by 20696; 26-05-2006 at 10:28.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-05-2006, 10:40 Thread Starter

dont be put off

Yes it is true people only tend to post problems when they have them, as they try to resolve them.

so we should perhaps not take so much notice of the the Thousands of problem posts, they are generally good cars.

just clapped a guy driving a cdti, tribute goes to him. He managed to keep it running,

need to lie down now rant over..ZZZzzz