what is this screw for on the throttle body? - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy400
  • 1 Post By keith8000_0

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 15:25 Thread Starter

Car: 75
what is this screw for on the throttle body?

i was gonna give my tb a good clean by taking it out but stupid me didnt do proper research on how to do it and so given up when i couldnt unhook the cable out.. before i tried unhooking the cable i removed various screws including the one circled in green.. i dont remember how deep in it is, i thought it controled idle speed and played around with it to see if it did control idle speed but i dont think it does.. how deep should i screw it in and what is it for really?

my idle speed is between 770-860 (1.8K T) is it high? handbook said it should be around 750+-50

i ended up just spraying the inside of the TB with brake cleaner, throttle opened and closed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 20:23 Thread Starter

figured it out, i think.. it's called an idle stop screw, ****** around with it all afternoon ******* up my idle speed to the point my engine overheated to 112 which i then promptly turned off. found a sweet spot, loosen it if the engine's over revving.. tighten if the gas pedal feels sticky like fingers with hunny. moral of the story is dont **** with this ******* screw
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:00

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
yes basically its a stop screw to prevent the butterfly flap from sticking everytime it shuts.. as you say there is a sweet spot between ticking throttle and revving

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 19:22

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
this screw it set at the factory and their is never ever any reason to adjust it what so ever after it has left the factory.
as said it is just a stop for the butterfly valve so it doesnt stick and start to wear out faster than when in normal use.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 20:26 Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith8000_0 View Post
yes basically its a stop screw to prevent the butterfly flap from sticking everytime it shuts.. as you say there is a sweet spot between ticking throttle and revving
speaking of throttle.. is it normal for rovers to have a "dead zone" in the gas pedal? like about half an inch on the accelerator is blank and wont start revving past the half inch. it was annoying on my 214 and so i adjusted the throttle cable, i leave it for now on my 75 cause i got used to it now but other cars ive driven dont have it. is that normal or do they usually go loose?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 20:29 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
this screw it set at the factory and their is never ever any reason to adjust it what so ever after it has left the factory.
as said it is just a stop for the butterfly valve so it doesnt stick and start to wear out faster than when in normal use.
yea i found that out when googling it. tbh i was gonna pull the throtle body out and just started taking out screws.............
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 00:48

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
you can as you already say adjust the cable to remove the slack but remember to make sure it isnt over tightened when at full throttle due to over tightening.
pingpong likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 13:48

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
speaking of throttle.. is it normal for rovers to have a "dead zone" in the gas pedal? like about half an inch on the accelerator is blank and wont start revving past the half inch. it was annoying on my 214 and so i adjusted the throttle cable, i leave it for now on my 75 cause i got used to it now but other cars ive driven dont have it. is that normal or do they usually go loose?
As Andy has said, the throttle cable can be adjusted to take up the slack. this slack is what you will be going through with the pedal before it pulls on the throttle cam..
pingpong likes this.