Auto Express - Rover V8 review... - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 15:32 Thread Starter

Car: Smart Roadster Coupe
Auto Express - Rover V8 review...

Sorry if this has been covered already, but Auto Express give the new Rover V8 a big thumbs up in their test review this week.

They say its going to be one of the stars of the Paris Motor Show, which I guess means we're not going to get any surprises there then...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 15:41

Car: Other Rover
If there not launching anything new why do they bother splashing out on stands at shows? Its bad publicity if anything
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 15:50

Car: Rover 75
Send a message via MSN to red_rover
Bad publicity? When I see the MGR cars in the flesh - they look so damn impressive!

Its brilliant Publicity!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 16:58

Car: Smart4four, Seat Altea TDI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Boy
If there not launching anything new why do they bother splashing out on stands at shows? Its bad publicity if anything
Not turning up to the The Brum Motor show after the takeover was one of the worst decisions MGR made. It saved some money but a lot of people assumed the company was about to die. Same in Europe. If MGR don't turn up then the local dealers may give up.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 20:10

Car: MG ZT Cdti MKII SE Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Boy
But you would have posted a negative comment if they weren't turning up also wouldn't you? Saying it's bad publicity not to be there or something!

90% of your posts regarding MGR tend to be negative.

Anthony.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 20:17

Car: Rover SD1
Autocar have got it too. It's a bit muted, to be honest. They like it, but are a tad disappointed it's not the super-powerful barnstoming supercruiser a 75 with a 4.6 litre V8 ought to be.
Fair comment I guess. 256 bhp??? Why is it less powerful than the MG? Come on Rover - 320 is not unreasonable!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 20:21

Car: Fiat Panda 100HP
I agree, all these big engines with low power out puts?!?
Top Secret Tunig have got an MR2 Turbo engine to 750BHP!!
And that a 2.0 litre!!!
Whats the deal here then?!?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff
I agree, all these big engines with low power out puts?!?
Top Secret Tunig have got an MR2 Turbo engine to 750BHP!!
And that a 2.0 litre!!!
Whats the deal here then?!?
The deal here is that this is a pretty old 2 valve per cylinder v8. The quad cam 32 valve v8 as fitted to the SV wouldn't fit under the bonnet properly without bulges and they apparently didn't want bonnet bulges so that was that. It might also have been a cost consideration too. The payback though is the quite good torque of the engine.

Anthony.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 21:09

Car: Rover Streetvan: Gimp. MG TF 115 Sunstorm: Rosie. Smart Roadster: Rodie
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony
The deal here is that this is a pretty old 2 valve per cylinder v8. The quad cam 32 valve v8 as fitted to the SV wouldn't fit under the bonnet properly without bulges and they apparently didn't want bonnet bulges so that was that.

''''It might also have been a cost consideration too. The payback though is the quite good torque of the engine.''''

Anthony.
Hence its suitablity for the Rover.. which should be torguey and refined.. where as the MGs which should have high revvy engines
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-09-2004, 21:40

I agree Pete. And everyone on this forum and xpower forum who has a ZT260 has no complaints at all about the performance so I'm sure it will be fine for a Rover too.

Anthony.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 16:00

Quote:
But you would have posted a negative comment if they weren't turning up also wouldn't you? Saying it's bad publicity not to be there or something!
90% of your posts regarding MGR tend to be negative.
Anthony.
My point was not negative or postive i just wondered what point there is in attending foreign shows with nothing to show when cash is so tight. The money would be better spent on a European ad campaign if they want to prove to the general public they are still alive
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 16:40

Car: Z3 6-cylinder
I would have to agree with you on this actually, StreetBoy.

Not that long ago, MGR said that they only wanted to got a motorshow when they had something new to show, otherwise it would be a waste of their prescious resources.

Extra advertising would be a bonus, yes, I agree, but then one would argue that the funds for advertising would be better spent on RDX60 et al.

On my little trip to Cyprus, I noticed a distinct lack of MGR products. Only 2 75s, and a handful of Rhondas were all that I saw, plus a couple of MGFs. I did see the football car-park TV advert being played in a bar, which was nice. However, I couldn't find a single MGR dealership. There was one of the old-school Rover dealers with the Maroon and Brown/Cream colour-scheme in Lefkosia, but they only seemed to sell LandRovers for some reason.

MGR need to do a lot of things at the moment, advertise, bring out new products, go to motorshows, increase awareness and presence in other countries.

All of which comes down to the green stuff - and I ain't talking about grass.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 17:01

Car: MG ZS
Look what happened when B*W didn't turn up to the Birmingham motorshow, people said they didn't give a cr*p about the UK market. That may or may not be true, but if MGR don't show at Paris they're will be two reactions. 1) the press "MG Rover imminent dimise" 2) the public "MG Rover can't be bothered to display in our market".

I'm not in the know at all, but who is to say MGR have nothing to show at Paris? Show the French the Rover V8, unless they came to the UK they haven't seen it in their local market yet.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 17:37
Supporter

Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
If they didn't show up though, people in france would think they weren't going to last much longer - they have to show to the european public that they are still very much alive and kicking.

btw, the French stand is almost double the size of the Brum show by all accounts - that's rather large!

F/TF Hybrid in Firefrost Red
ZS 180 in Aurora
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 17:45

The French wouldnt even notice whether MGR were at the show or not and they wouldnt be interested in the 75 V8 anyway. The cash will be needed for a HUGE campaign when the RD60 arrives next year
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 19:41

Car: Lotus Elise S2
75 V8

As for the V8 producing a meagre 260bhp, I would imagine it's be the easiest thing in the world to eke out a bit more grunt from a 4.6 litre V8, 2 valves per cylinder or not.

By the way, any news on the ZT385?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 20:23

Isn't the 385 canned until at least 2006 now?

I guess they have decided RD60 must be ready first and you can't argue with that really. It is still a shame though.

Anthony.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 20:30

Car: Jaguar XJ6
Send a message via MSN to king arthur
Quote:
Isn't the 385 canned until at least 2006 now?

I guess they have decided RD60 must be ready first and you can't argue with that really. It is still a shame though.

Anthony.
I doubt the extra development costs can be justified for this model ATM. How many would they sell, a couple of hundred?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 21:08

Car: Volvo S40
Yup, it was a very large stand - probably about twice the size of Brum and certainly about 3 times the size of Geneva. A very smart and wel laid out stand too

John
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-09-2004, 21:13

Car: Jaguar XJ6
Send a message via MSN to king arthur
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwitzer
Yup, it was a very large stand - probably about twice the size of Brum and certainly about 3 times the size of Geneva. A very smart and wel laid out stand too

John
Twice the size of Brum? Blimey, I didn't even know Paris was that big!