3rd Stop Light Transplant - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 22-11-2007, 18:56 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Send a message via MSN to PERRY-MGTF Send a message via Skype™ to PERRY-MGTF
3rd Stop Light Transplant

As some of you remember my 3rd stop was almost off! only 1 led was working as you can see in the video I uplaoded today. So tonight my car electrician friend did a transplant. I got a 3rd stop that was working but cracked, so we trasnplanted my cover on that. Mission was a sucess but you should see why my old stop seized working......RUST!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 22-11-2007, 21:49

Car: MG TF
Hi Perry,
I notice you have a TF, there has been several threads on wether it is possible to remove the reflector on the high level brake light on a TF, you seem to have succeeded, was it difficult. My h/l brake light has some of the led's not working, I am hoping to replace them if it is possible to get at them without destroying the reflector.
Bob
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 24-11-2007, 09:57 Thread Starter

Hello bobt! in order to remove the 3rd brake light on the TF:
  • You open the boot
  • On the left hand side and inside the boot lid there is a rubber thingy where the 3-rd stop light cables are coming out
  • Dosconnect the cables
  • Push them inside the rubber thingy and in the boot lid.
  • You may take the rubber out or not
  • Use a long screw driver and try to locate the 3rd stop light left plug as you cannot reach the right hand side one from that space.
  • Push the plug with the screw driver so that the left side of the brake light pops out.
  • Then it is easy to pull the right side out too.
Notice that when you unseal the stop light the leds are placed facing the opposit way!!! so that the cnnectors run on the front side of the brake light.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Last edited by PERRY-MGTF; 07-12-2007 at 20:03.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 13:14

Smile 3rd brake LED's

Hi Perry

I have the same problem with this brake light and intend to attack it as you describe...thanks. However you didn't say what you did to make them work!
Was it just the rust that prevented them working and a little wd40 was the cure...... or did you have to replace the whole set? If replacement was made where did you purchace them?

Thanks

Mark
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 13:32 Thread Starter

Hello Mark! And welcome to the forum!

I did get from a friend another working 3rd stop light but it was cracked!
So I had to fit the uncracked cover from my stop light to the other one.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRY-MGTF View Post
Hello Mark! And welcome to the forum!

I did get from a friend another working 3rd stop light but it was cracked!
So I had to fit the uncracked cover from my stop light to the other one.
Thanks Perry for your reply.
I wonder if it is possible to clean up the faulty fitment to make it work. Must give it a try.

Mark
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 16:55 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coord47 View Post
Thanks Perry for your reply.
I wonder if it is possible to clean up the faulty fitment to make it work. Must give it a try.

Mark
I think if you know a bit on electronics it must be fairly easy to fix it...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 17:17

Car: MGF
ive got a problem with my boot mounted stop-light too, basically it doesn't work at all but if i open the boot as i close the boot the light briefly illuminates so i'm thinking loose connection?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 18:03

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by guciman View Post
ive got a problem with my boot mounted stop-light too, basically it doesn't work at all but if i open the boot as i close the boot the light briefly illuminates so i'm thinking loose connection?
that will be the loom as it comes off the left (near side) hinge and enters the main loom, there WILL be a broken wire or two in there somewhere.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-10-2008, 11:25

Car: MG ZT 135. Previously: MG ZS, MG TF, 418GSD, 214GSi oh and a Toyota Paseo
Top notch Perry!

Had some trouble pushing the black retaining clip through, even with a torch and finding it first with my finger it was almost impossible!

Replacement now fitted!

Thanks very much.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 21-05-2011, 07:28

Car: Rufuz! The MGTF160
Sorry for the bump but I think I have a good suggestion for getting the brakelight out.

On the back of the brakelight are 2 pins (so to speak), one left, one right, that attach the brakelight to the car. These are reusable pins, I was actually required to reuse them so I'm glad I didn't break them.

If you push the pin hard, it widens, which makes it harder to pop it out. If you push from the back, it might be better to push on the brake light itself instead. Do expect the requirement of quite some force.

Additionally, I was not able to push it out at all from behind. I think that a better/faster result can be obtained by pushing a strip of fabric (say 1x20cm) or thin rope behind the left side of the brakelight on the outside, slide it as far right as possible (it'll then hit the pin and won't be able to go any further) and then try pulling the brake light towards you. You should make sure that the fabric/rope is behind the black plastic of the brake light, else you'll break off the red reflector.

You could actually do this on 2 sides at the same time. This might balance the force (star wars joke here) and make it easier to come out at once.

I haven't tried it with the rope/fabric, thought of it afterwards. I tried pushing it out from behind, combined with a screwdriver on the front to flip it out. I broke the red reflector thingy. Good thing the light was not really reusable anyways.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 16-04-2012, 21:19

Car: 2003 135 Starlight Silver
Did anyone ever find out what the type of LED is in the brake light??

I need something to search for on ebay...
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 07:11

Car: MGTF160
Its not what type led you need but the size resistor that lights them, and the diameter of the unit, measure the size of the tulip and ill send you some with the correct resistor.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedunga View Post
Its not what type led you need but the size resistor that lights them, and the diameter of the unit, measure the size of the tulip and ill send you some with the correct resistor.
This is may be a very sill question, but what is the tulip??

Would all TF 3rd brake lights not be identicle??

Thanks
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcrowe View Post
This is may be a very sill question, but what is the tulip??

Would all TF 3rd brake lights not be identicle??

Thanks
Id have thought they were all the same, the tulip, in my terms is the diameter of the led bulb, but its possible that these are a different type, closer inspection may be needed.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 09:02

Quote:
Id have thought they were all the same, the tulip, in my terms is the diameter of the led bulb, but its possible that these are a different type, closer inspection may be needed.
I will messure When I get home later this evening and get back to you

Also, is it not a case of taking out blown LED's and replacing them with new ones?? Were do the resistors go? behind each LED? is there one for each LED?

When I got the car a month ago only the left hand side of the unit worked. When I checked the other day, only the 3 left most LED's are working. I dont think its a wiring loom issue as then the whole unit would not work. Would that be correct?

Some working and some not leads me to think individual LED's have blown...
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 09:11

Wire them up in parallel and fit just 1 resistor to run the whole bank, that way when an led blows as they can it will allow others to run still
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 09:19

Car: MGF and MG ZT-T (also Mk3 Triumph Spitfire and Mk1 Austin Mini)
Quote:
Wire them up in parallel and fit just 1 resistor to run the whole bank, that way when an led blows as they can it will allow others to run still
Presumably this is how it's wired as standard?

With the corrosion damage, I wonder whether (a) there is loss of circuit continuity or (b) the corrosion has lead to an excessively high resistance across the LED? It may be that the LEDs themselves haven't failed, but rather this is a problem with the wiring. What would a longer-term fix be if this is the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guciman View Post
Intermittent function like this points more towards a wire break in the boot loom than a loose connection. You'll need to strip back the taping of the boot loom and repair broken wires as necessary...
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 09:25

It is easier in my opinion to just replace the lot at once, led's are pennies on ebay, rip out all old innards and replace with new.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 09:36

Quote:
Sorry if I am a total n00b at this, but would that not be the way they are wired up from the factory??

I say this because currently only the 3 left most LED's are working, meaning the other 11 are blown, however the 3 remaining are still working...

Does this make sence?