Air filter MG TF - MG-Rover.org Forums
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By batoutofhull
  • 1 Post By batoutofhull
  • 1 Post By batoutofhull

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-01-2017, 13:45 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
Air filter MG TF Jetex and oem comparison

I have bought a new panel air filter for my Tf. from Jetex.

There are not many pictures of this type online. I have included a few with comments.

This photo shows the code number for a TF.

The filter fits the airbox very nicely.

The gause construction in the pleated surface.

The sides and the ends have the length and width measurements moulded into them. If you ever picked one up second hand you would know it would fit.

Old and new filters together from the top. There is a lot of bleeding of sealant around the old filter.

Old and new filters from the bottom. The area that catches the dust,dirt and particles.
The old filter has a lighter line where the inner plastic tube of the intake hose touches. The new filter is thinner in depth so this will not happen.

The old filter has caught 'fluff' in the folds. This however could be restrictive to air flow. It was like this in every fold.

The open pleats of the new filter will not let this happen.
It still filters at 99% efficiency.

Other things to notice: The new filter is ever so slightly thinner in width and a touch longer. It still fits the air box perfectly well. The old filter has got trapped on the side due to being a bit wide.

To add another point. I have a link to a ford focus K&N panel filter. The Jetex and K&N look very similar. There are no K&N filters for the TF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-filter-with-code-for-t.jpg (66.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg blue-filter-in-airbox.jpg (46.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg blue-filter-in-box.jpg (249.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg blue-filter-old-filter-comp.jpg (167.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg filter-comprson-bottom.jpg (214.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg gauze.jpg (148.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg measurements-on-side.jpg (110.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg old-filter-muck.jpg (249.0 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by batoutofhull; 31-01-2017 at 15:28. Reason: title addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:18

Car: MGF
a neglected item for many i think, and i am very guilty of that... so thanks for the info. very well explained.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:51

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
Just a couple of questions if I may......
So is there a noticeable improvement in performance or throttle response ? Sound any better? Why did you choose one of these over a Pipercross foam filter and how much did it cost?
Sorry for the 3rd degree but im looking at changing my "Track-day" TF160 filter very soon so very interested in your findings batoutofhull.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
Just a couple of questions if I may......
So is there a noticeable improvement in performance or throttle response ? Sound any better? Why did you choose one of these over a Pipercross foam filter and how much did it cost?
Sorry for the 3rd degree but im looking at changing my "Track-day" TF160 filter very soon so very interested in your findings batoutofhull.
Hey BRG Norm. BRG is just the best isn't it?
Sorry off on a tangent.

I have a 1.6 TF. Not really able to tell yet, if a there is a performance boost in my 1.6. Its only been on a day. I haven't put the dead dog back over the engine inspection panel yet, so I guess it sounds a little louder/suckier. These filters do flow more air than the green cotton type and have about the same air flow characteristics as the piper cross, but because it is a cotton gauze it offers better filtering. 99% efficient at 2.8 microns. The oem filter is 99.75%. ITG foam (piper is foam too) 75% filtering. I have done so much researching on filters i've forgotten my sources.

The look is very similar to the k&N in the Focus up the road. You would think they are made by the same company, apart from K&N do not make a TF panel air filter and the colour is blue not red. Maybe the pleats are slightly wider apart. (subjective opinion) Also re oil every 60,000 miles.

Price delivered =49 in the uk. They are advertised at 35 but with delivery and vat not included. They are in Stratford if that is near you.
Green are 45 delivered, and piperx ebay 29 delivered.

I dealt with Neil. He normally has to have a batch made up as not many MG owners use this filter. I spoke to him yesterday and he did have stock. Jetex were pretty good to deal with. If there is none in stock he will get one to you in about 10days.

I will give a more objective opinion when it has been a bit longer and done a few more miles than a trip to the shops.

One more thing. Daft idea moment. If you are racing. You could get rid of the air box and move the filter out of the engine bay, you would see a marked improvement with a cone filter in a cold area, especially with the jetex. There is no easy way to do this on the Tf. Even to the extent of putting the filter outside the car or through the inspection panel via a hole and near the removed rear or lowered passenger window. You could have 2 set ups. 2 engine panels and 2 filters and hoses. As the air loops around the top of the car(hence why we need wind stops) the cold air feed at the back window could work.
DocMark likes this.

Last edited by batoutofhull; 01-02-2017 at 10:39.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:59

Good info. I'll be looking in to ordering one of these so that I can get around to fitting my Trophy box. I think I will also be leaving the internals of the box unmodified - not cutting the plastic tube as I once planned. As you know, the new filter is much shallower and therefore air should move around underneath it more evenly than with an OEM type panel.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:31

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
Thanks for the prompt response batoutofhull. I'm not racing my TF,just track days I'm afraid. I've done 1 really local to me so far,and absolutely loved it. Got another planned for mid March too. Pity I was nearly the slowest car there,but will have rubber sorted and roll hoops fitted,so will be more confident I hope.
I thought about relocating the air filter but also read lots of articles that said you could actually loose power by not using the standard airbox on a TF160 as MG had done a really good job on it compared to the F (which I incidentally fitted a cone filter with remote airfeed taken from one of the side air-ducts on mine,sounded lovely too.)
Isnt the TF160 airbox a different size to a TF115? hopefully Neil at Jetex would know.
And yes B.R.Green is a lush colour,but my TF is Trophy blue,and ive had more compliments about that than I ever had about my BRG F.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 14:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
Thanks for the prompt response batoutofhull. I'm not racing my TF,just track days I'm afraid. I've done 1 really local to me so far,and absolutely loved it. Got another planned for mid March too. Pity I was nearly the slowest car there,but will have rubber sorted and roll hoops fitted,so will be more confident I hope.
I thought about relocating the air filter but also read lots of articles that said you could actually loose power by not using the standard airbox on a TF160 as MG had done a really good job on it compared to the F (which I incidentally fitted a cone filter with remote airfeed taken from one of the side air-ducts on mine,sounded lovely too.)
Isnt the TF160 airbox a different size to a TF115? hopefully Neil at Jetex would know.
And yes B.R.Green is a lush colour,but my TF is Trophy blue,and ive had more compliments about that than I ever had about my BRG F.
BRG Norm.

1) All MGTF air boxes are the same size! No difference in size. The only difference is that the 115 has only the rear duct/hose. The front is blanked.

2) Yes, Roger Parker investigated a cone filter in a TF and found it to loose power when the engine bay warmed up. So you are right.
My daft idea for a non road car though, was to move a cone filter totally away from the engine, so no heat.

3) I think swapping the oem panel filter for a longer life one with more air flow and comparable filtration is a no brainer.

oh.. and get those tyres warm.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 14:39 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Good info. I'll be looking in to ordering one of these so that I can get around to fitting my Trophy box. I think I will also be leaving the internals of the box unmodified - not cutting the plastic tube as I once planned. As you know, the new filter is much shallower and therefore air should move around underneath it more evenly than with an OEM type panel.
Stevie, when I posted about the air filter I just knew you would be popping by.
I can't disagree with you. Sounds like a plan.
I won't be near the MG for a while now, as my Father in law had to go in to hospital. I now have to look after my mother in law.
I am hoping he gets better very very soon.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
Stevie, when I posted about the air filter I just knew you would be popping by.
I can't disagree with you. Sounds like a plan.
I won't be near the MG for a while now, as my Father in law had to go in to hospital. I now have to look after my mother in law.
I am hoping he gets better very very soon.
Haha, when I saw your thread about panels, I just had to stop by

Hope the Father in law gets better soon and good luck with the Mother in law
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 20:22 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incony View Post
a neglected item for many i think, and i am very guilty of that... so thanks for the info. very well explained.
Incony - thanks for the nice comment.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 21:40

How's that filter bedding in? - now that you've had it running for a bit, any noticeable improvements? - as you know, I'd be interested to hear as I've still to order one as I've not had the chance to set time aside to do anything regarding my airbox/filter conversion.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
How's that filter bedding in? - now that you've had it running for a bit, any noticeable improvements? - as you know, I'd be interested to hear as I've still to order one as I've not had the chance to set time aside to do anything regarding my airbox/filter conversion.
Hey Stevie, I wish I could tell you! I am abroad still looking after the outlaws. Parents who'd have em? I will be back to the TF in 3 weeks time. Then I can test it properly.
It got down to -10 last night so I have to chop the wood and keep the fire in for my mum in law. However it seams to be just as cold in the uk.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 13:08

Quote:
Hey Stevie, I wish I could tell you! I am abroad still looking after the outlaws. Parents who'd have em? I will be back to the TF in 3 weeks time. Then I can test it properly.
It got down to -10 last night so I have to chop the wood and keep the fire in for my mum in law. However it seams to be just as cold in the uk.
Ahhh, no problem Bat. I'm in no real rush, so I'll probably wait till you're back anyways. -10c ??? - the least the outlaws could have done was to have lived in a warmer climate!!! (and yes, sub zero figures here, too - mores the pity....roll on summer time.....)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 14:30 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Well.....back in the uk and back in the TF. I have had to wait some time to try out the new panel filter. I've had the engine panel off today so I wanted to double check how the filter seated and drive with the old oem one in beforehand.

Just to add to earlier posts: It is easier to disconnect the rubber elbow duct from the filter box. It can get in the way so I found it best to push it downwards under the lip of the bottom part of the air box. The top of the box comes off much more easily pulling it towards the passenger compartment then turning it 90 degrees.

How did it run?

This is not scientific. The old one was dirty but I took the mg down the Gordano valley and back up the M5. A little mixed 'type of road' circuit.
Once I was used to the oem filter, I switched the new one back in.

There is a difference but it is subtle on a 1.6 and depends on the rpm.
I could not feel any difference under 2000 rpm.( I did 3 standing starts). Over 2000 in 2nd gear the car seemed more willing. 2500-3000 in 3rd a cleaner uptake. 3000-4000rpm a noticeable response.
4th gear on the motorway 60 to 70 a little sharper. No difference in 5th.

Regarding induction noise. There was no difference inside the car.
steviejones133 likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 06:53
Supporter

Quote:
BRG Norm.

1) All MGTF air boxes are the same size! No difference in size. The only difference is that the 115 has only the rear duct/hose. The front is blanked.

2) Yes, Roger Parker investigated a cone filter in a TF and found it to loose power when the engine bay warmed up. So you are right.
My daft idea for a non road car though, was to move a cone filter totally away from the engine, so no heat.

3) I think swapping the oem panel filter for a longer life one with more air flow and comparable filtration is a no brainer.
I have just recently got a 160 TF as my F has 230,000K on the clock and the 2nd engine is starting to get a bit lazy. The F has a Pipercross and the cold air intake running down to the intake in front of the left-hand rear wheel. Took the F to the Nationals at Perth (Australia) last Easter and still a quick car with big brakes, trick suspension, and a few other mods. When I got it home I thought it time to re-oil the cone filter. Um... the internal filter is gone!! Somewhere in Western Australia it got sucked in and is no more. There was a noticeable difference when I changed to the cone filter on the F. The TF has a cone filter (already fitted) that is sitting on top of the engine with no cool air access and in Australia, cool air is hard to find. So I will be reinstalling the OEM airbox real soon.

Getting cold here in Brisbane Queensland as we head for winter. WE are down to 27C during the day and a chilly 18C (grin) at night! Brisbane can get down to almost Artic conditions in winter with a 12C (snigger) overnight temps and we have to put on a coat to drive with the top down.