MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Anyone seen one of these speedo trims before?

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  steviejones133 
#1 ·
I found it lying about in a donor car I was working on in a scrapyard yesterday and thought it looked quite nice. I don't know if it's an aftermarket bit of trim or if it was standard on some cars. It was taken from a W reg F........

Not sure if I will use it or not yet, mainly as once you've started with adding trim, it kind of escalates to other things such as heater knobs, and other bits of 'bling'...........still, for £3 I thought I'd have it.....

I also came away with a few other bits and bobs - wiring loom for electric windows (as some of you might have read) and a nice clean coolant expansion tank as mine's looking a bit grubby even after I've cleaned it out.

£13 for the lot.....I must go the the scrappie more often....trouble is, it's addictive! :grin:

See less See more
#6 ·
There used to be several sellers on eBay around 10 years ago offering tailored to fit alloy trims for the instrument clusters in a wide range of cars (I had one in my old ZR). Their popularity must have waned, because there don't seem to have been any available for some time now.

They were quite expensive at around £20.

#7 ·
#10 ·
Okay, so just how does one remove the clear plastic lens from the speedo to get this sodding thing in there????? - had it in bits yesterday late evening, messed abut with it a bit, had the complete speedo assembly loosely out thinking that the lens would just pop off with a few clips....started prying about a bit until I started hearing the dreaded sound of plastic about to crack......

Fortunately, it did not and I ceased activity right away and put it all back. Anyone got any ideas? - it seems that it might be glued on in a few places.....

#12 ·
I fitted years ago the aluminium dial rings so very easy. Regarding this particular piece, it has been done before by others so it must be possible without damaging anything.

Once you get the fitting inside, I suggest that you use hot glue. I am a greart believer in 'hot glue' as it does little or no damage and can easy be removed if either you 'over' glue or change your mind about the look of the new fitting.

#13 ·
Nah, all I did yesterday was to remove the trim that surrounds the speedo - the part that holds the leccy mirror switch and dash brightness control. I then removed the four screws that hold the speedo assembly in place along with the top part of the steering column housing. That allowed me to wiggle the speedo forward an I just messed about with it there thinking it might have been straightforward. Alas, not.

I just found this thread/post: http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf...ove-your-instrument-panel-212388/#post2207748 which has some good pics and maybe the solution.

Seems like I really need to remove the whole cluster and then 'operate' on it with more room to work. Does that sound about right to remove the glass? - I'm sure that mine looked like it was glued at the bottom on both sides......

I fitted years ago the aluminium dial rings so very easy. Regarding this particular piece, it has been done before by others so it must be possible without damaging anything.

Once you get the fitting inside, I suggest that you use hot glue. I am a greart believer in 'hot glue' as it does little or no damage and can easy be removed if either you 'over' glue or change your mind about the look of the new fitting.
Yeah, I saw that the rings can go in from behind without touching the glass, but I'm not going to be able to wedge this whole bezel in without taking the clear glass off.......

#16 ·
Well, that was a pig of a job. Whilst the guide above was correct to a degree, it was a bit misleading in the fact that the clear perspex is NOT designed to come off at all. I followed the instructions and all that happened was that the grey fascia came away from the instrument panel with the glass remaining glued to that!

After Yesterdays 'prying' around said clear plastic, coupled with the creaking and more than likely event of shattering/cracking the damn thing, I decided to get some heat on things. I managed to heat up the top part of the perspex enough so that the glue began to let go......with a bit of gentle persuasion, it came undone - sufficient for me to drop the trim inside the casing.

I'd already cleaned up the rear of the trim and surface it was going to adhere to with a wipe of meths. I stuck random small bits of thin double sided sticky foam pads to the trim and once it was in, jut pressed around firmly to secure it.

With that done, operation 'clean up my fingerprints' was called for. Did that and whislt the speedo was off, I decided to use some fine abrasive car polish to buff out the scratches in the surface of the clear perspex that had been caused by years of over zealous cleaning. Came up well, methinks.

In true Haynes style, assembly was the reverse of disassembly. I put it all back together and job done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.