Back to basics How To-No. 1: Replacing headlamp bulb (MGF) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-01-2009, 16:26 Thread Starter

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
Back to basics How To-No. 1: Replacing headlamp bulb (MGF)

Many how tos on here are for mechanically minded folks, and some people simply dont want to do anyhting complicated themselves. However I am still amazed that people still pay their hard earned kids inheritance to the monkeys in Halfrauds to fit a bulb, or wiper blades etc.

So this is how to change a headlamp bulb on an MGF.

Time to complete: about 2 -3 minites per bulb, if that.
Difficulty: 0 (its just not difficult)

Now I have trophy headlamps, and either that means they ahve different bulbs from standard, or it just means Halfrods catalogues are completely wrong, becuase the recommend the wrong bulb for me!!

Anway for my car, its H1 (448).

OK, so you need to open bonnet (pull handle in the top right hand corner of your boot).

This is what the headlamp looks like. To the right, the large white textured glass lens is the dipped beam. To the right, is the full beam, and the small white LED bulb is the side light (yours will most likely be a proper bulb)

Behind the lamp, is a black plastic circular protector. This screws off (to the right), but may need a little persuasion to pull it off (had to push mine with a screwdriver as it had stuck)

Once this is removed, you will see some wires. Yellow, attached to bulb, and the black attaches to the housing.

Remove these wires and you will see a metal clip with "rabbit ears" at the top. Push the ears apart and the clip can be removed. The bulb can now be pulled out and reaplced with a new one (it only goes in one way due to the uneven shape of the bulb base).

DO NOT touch the glass of the new bulbs with fingers as grease will transfer to bulb. It is easy to do with just holding the base.

Replace clip and do all in reverse.

The full beam bulb and sidelight bulbs are behind the second black protector. Full beam lamps are removed and fitted in the same way as dipped.

Sidelight bulbs simply pull out and push in. Side lights are 501 bulbs (or you can use LED 501 style).

Last edited by Broon; 20-05-2010 at 14:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-01-2009, 16:35

Car: MG TF 160
I can see this being useful for a lot of people! well done! now we just need a TF one! Bulbs are similar to replace but the side lights are a little fun!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-01-2009, 16:36 Thread Starter

Yeah, I dont know about the TF ones, but someone can add it here, or start Back to Basics number 2!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-01-2009, 16:59
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Good post Broon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-05-2010, 14:12

Car: MGF
Very useful, thanx
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-05-2010, 14:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus67 View Post
Very useful, thanx
Hopefully better now I have fixed the links for the images
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-05-2010, 15:35

Car: mgf 1.8 vvc, volvo s40.
i might post a back to basics how to for the female members.....green or black handles in the petrol station....

lol...