Bought some ALloy heater knobs - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-07-2016, 21:33 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT 190 and MGTF
Bought some ALloy heater knobs

Hi there. I've bought some alloy heater knobs for thirty odd pounds but I cant get them to fit. Seems to be the grub screw is too loose. The original part had a long sleeve and the grub screw doesnt cover much of the heater spindle. They are for the TF.

Shame they look ace.

Like ones in this TF.

MG TF 1.8 160 2dr

Any thoughts or advice at all guys and dolls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-07-2016, 22:35

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
You haven' got the knobs for the F rather than the TF have you?

MGF ones are the length shown by this seller MGF MG F Mk1 Ali Heater Knob Set Brand New | eBay

MGTF are this length MGF MG F Mk2 Ali Heater Knob Set Brand New | eBay
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-07-2016, 08:06
Supporter

Car: MG TF
When I replaced the original knobs with alloy ones on my TF, I found that two of them worked loose quite quickly. I adjusted them until they were a tight-but-not-too-tight fit and then put a drop of threadlok on the grub screw. Has been ok for the six months since. It did take a number of tries to get each grub screw to just the right point.

My reading of the difference between the F Mk1 and the Mk2/TF knobs is that they aren't interchangeable at all, so possibly the solution might be to find a slightly longer grub screw?

Mark

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-07-2016, 11:44 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT 190 and MGTF
Thaks guys. helpful stuff as always. Cheers. Del
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-07-2016, 11:48

Car: MGF
It sounds like you might have the MGF Mk 1 version as they are shorter. The ones I have in my Mk 2 F are the same as a TF and the grub screw seems to hold onto the spindle fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-07-2016, 12:07

Car: mgtf160
Grub screw? I got mine from MG MANIA they have a spring clip and just push on and I have had no trouble at all with them 37

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:41

Car: MGTF & R75 Tourer
I've got those ones with the grub screw on my wifes TF, the trick is (as mentioned) to get it tight, but not too tight and the grubscrew picks up on the flat of the spindle.

Hope that makes sense?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 19:26

Car: MGF
my Trophy has the long shaft knob.. in the blower fan knob - shaft opening - it has a metal insert tube that allows it to fit the smaller 4 position switch shaft the blower has...

its a push fit...

i only mention that because i am doing away with the switch and resistor pack completely... and going pwm.. my own design. it will use the existing knob, no change, except to fit a potentiometer the metal insert is removed from the tube of the knob.. it will give infinite variable speed from slow to max, and a turn on and off switch integral to the potentiometer the knob turns. either from max or from slow.. i.e you turn on and the blower starts fast or you can make it turn on and the blower starts slow. it will look exactly same until maybe i make a new laser cut overlay for the graphic - but act completely different, no more resistors... for those that understand that... its a better way to control a fan... even if its current demand is nearly 16A and why the blower has a 20A fuse... its a doddle for hyperfet Mosfets.. .. the IXFH58N20 can cope with 58A, is fast switching and very reliable - pwm motor control...

Last edited by Incony; 04-08-2016 at 19:43.