Brakes sticking on all wheels - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 16:26 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Brakes sticking on all wheels

Hi there

I have an issue with my Mgf where all the brakes stick on when driving, I've replaced the brake servo, servo pipe, master cylinder and abs unit each time I've done the job it seems fine runs wrk and after a few days of low mileage driving the problem reoccurs running out of ideas any suggestions?

Can't stop any pattern in driving or road

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 23:12

Car: 99T MGF VVC - 03 Freelander
It's a process of elimination, looks like you have covered from the pedal onwards. My experience of sticking brakes is that the cause is either in or around the calliper. Must admit though that it's unusual to have them all sticking at the same time.

Barney
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:20

Car: MGTF 160 And Mercedes SLK
Next time they are stuck on, crack a bleed nipple at one of the calipers. If fluid squrts out you know the problem is in the system, if it doesn't, then likely hood is the calipers them selves. Is there any play in the pedal connection.

strange one this. good luck and keep us posted

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:38

Car: TF 160 Sprint LE + MG RV8 + ZR 160
I would look again at the master cylinder.

The master cylinder contains a non-return/shut off valve that releases when you take your foot off the pedal. If it is incorrectly assembled the fluid is not released and the brakes stay on and get more and more applied with each press of the pedal. In the end you can't move the car! I had this on an old van that had had a cylinder refurbished...badly...by someone else.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:39
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Seem to rember one guy on the forum had a similar issue. He said it came down to a collapsed hose. How that worked I can't fathom. Have a search around for the thread.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 13:44

what occasionally happens is when the car is driven and brakes applied and brake fluid becomes warm and expands, the clearance between master cylinder pushrod and servo becomes nil and eventually 'holds' the brakes on, this can be checked by releasing any bleed nipple as already explained and allowing fluid to escape thus releasing brakes..........try removing master cylinder and screwing in nut on end of servo, half or a full turn in and refit master cylinder and retry on road test, some servo's were incorrectly set on length
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 18:01

Car: MG TF
I had this very recently.
All wheels completely locked up after a ten minute drive. With hindsight, the car had been a bit 'sticky' a couple of times prior to that.
I can't tell you how this turns out yet- ended up as a growing project. Replaced master and servo, all discs, pads and hoses, BUT still waiting for new rear calipers. They were pretty seized up. I was hoping they'd show up today
Once they arrive I ought to have her back together pretty quickly, so will soon find out if there's something else going on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I had this very recently.
All wheels completely locked up after a ten minute drive. With hindsight, the car had been a bit 'sticky' a couple of times prior to that.
I can't tell you how this turns out yet- ended up as a growing project. Replaced master and servo, all discs, pads and hoses, BUT still waiting for new rear calipers. They were pretty seized up. I was hoping they'd show up today
Once they arrive I ought to have her back together pretty quickly, so will soon find out if there's something else going on.
wow......no process of elimination there.......only leaves the metal brake pipes left :-)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 21:08

Harr Harr . . .
The process just grew arms and legs. Locking all the wheels suggested something common to all four corners of the car- hence master cylinder. But wasn't sure of servo, so did that.
Decided I better do the pads as I'd fried the brakes (smoking hot!), but the front discs were horribly rusty. Euro Car Parts did a deal on discs and pads, so why not do all?
Since I was in there, didn't seem much more work to change the hoses, as the connectors were badly corroded. Plus, stainless steel is so fashionable!
Got to the rear calipers and they were almost locked onto the discs- the pistons did wind back but very reluctantly. Figured that since I'd drained off all my fluid, and come this far, why not replace? Local motor factor came up with a good price, so whipped off the old calipers.

Our car only has 37K on the clock, but I don't lay her up for the winter as some do. In fact, some of my favourite drives have been in the dead of winter. Unfortunately it does expose the car to road salt, and half the problems with my brakes are down to corrosion.
I've used the time spent on the brake overhaul to do some cleaning and waxoyling too, so consider it all an investment in her future.
Cheers!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 21:41

no worries :-)......as most people do garage for winter, it does make sense to do whats necessary if your driving in all weather conditions.......but my previous post was a problem with the servo pushrod not having enough clearance with the master cylinder so it did make all the brakes come on when warm, i worked on these cars a lot and know them inside and out.......warts and all lol........hope yours is all good now
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 22:09

Hi Dave- good to hear from someone who really knows these cars.
Right now my baby is up on axle-stands waiting for rear calipers. Once I get them on I can road test her. With luck, half a day rebuilding and she'll be good to go.
I am very new to spannering. I work fairly slowly because it suits my temperament. The Mrs has already warned me she won't be going in the car 'until a proper mechanic has checked it'- so, I'll report back on whether my problem with locking brakes is officially fixed.
Have a good weekend- Cheers!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 11:22 Thread Starter

Thanks guys lots of comments to work from, been busy week but hopefully get it stripped down soon and follow through some of the ideas

Appreciate the help

James
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 14:25

no problemo james :-)......hope you get sorted, and hope skellum is good to go on the road ..............all have a good weekend, cheers