Brakes and Wheels - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-06-2005, 11:13 Thread Starter

Car: Mustang GT
Brakes and Wheels

Quick question.

My 115 performed very well in Switzerland apart from the brakes.

The brakes were close to overheating quite badly at one point, what can I do to improve the situation.

Eg, new discs or new discs and calipers. I'm not hell bent on changing to race discs as the operating temperature will be different - eg great for heavy braking on big hills, but useless in normal conditions.

Also, rather than putting performance mods on the cars - how much do 15" standard minilites weigh, and could I go for a lighter wheel/tyre arrangement to bring the unsprung weight down a bit?

Finally, what do I need to buy to reduce its suspension height a little bit with a firmer shock that will stop the wheels rubbing on the arches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-06-2005, 11:44

Car: TF160, ZT260
Send a message via MSN to SHARKYMGF
Quote:
The brakes were close to overheating quite badly at one point,
Do you mean that when they got hot the pedal feel or break responce faded?
If so than a change to some fast road pads should cure that. Try something like Mintex 1144's, or 1166.
Its the brake pads that dictate the opperating tempertures, not the disks or calipers so changing these for for larger items will improve the pedel feel (even for normal day-to day use) but not stop the breaks from fading when they get hot. For this you need to change the pads.

Quote:
Finally, what do I need to buy to reduce its suspension height a little bit with a firmer shock that will stop the wheels rubbing on the arches?
Firstly I am surprised your wheels are rubbing, its something I have never had a problem with, even when using 16" wheels and lowered suspension. Perhaps your wheel arch liners need reshaping a bit to give more clearance.
To reduce the ride height slightly, you could fit the Sports Pack 2 springs, which will lower it approx 10mm. If you require more, than your options are a set of Eibach/X-power lowering springs (approx 130 + Fitting) or and adjustable ride height kit, which will come with springs & dampers (prices range from 750 + fitting too 1500 + fitting). I dont know of a manufacturer that makes replacement stiffer dampers for the standard TF springs yet though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-06-2005, 12:08 Thread Starter

Car: Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKYMGF
Firstly I am surprised your wheels are rubbing, its something I have never had a problem with, even when using 16" wheels and lowered suspension. Perhaps your wheel arch liners need reshaping a bit to give more clearance.
To reduce the ride height slightly, you could fit the Sports Pack 2 springs, which will lower it approx 10mm. If you require more, than your options are a set of Eibach/X-power lowering springs (approx 130 + Fitting) or and adjustable ride height kit, which will come with springs & dampers (prices range from 750 + fitting too 1500 + fitting). I dont know of a manufacturer that makes replacement stiffer dampers for the standard TF springs yet though.
they arent rubbing as I havent done it yet, but its something i'd like to avoid from the outset.