MG-Rover.org Forums banner

broblem in the gearbox

906 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Herbie 
#1 ·
Hello my name is Mike and i 'm from Greece. Recently bought mg tf 2004 model No 646 of 1600. I have a broblem when i 'm trying to put a reverse on gearbox. I can lock the gear at reverse but i hear a creack. They told me to hold on the clutch for a few seconds before i lock the reverse or to put first the gear at 4th and after to lock the reverse,i tryed both and it continues the same creack. I want your "lights". Sorry about my English,thanks.

#2 ·
Hello Mike and welcome to .ORG

Reverse gear can be noisy when you try it and it sometimes does not work. This is because it does not have "synchromesh" gearing. Trying 1st gear before using reverse normally fixes this.

How noisy is reverse gear, and does it work when you try 1st gear then reverse gear?

#7 ·
This is interesting, my reverse gear makes all sorts of bad noises. Thinking about changing the oil as Herbie suggest. Is there a how to out there? What kind of specs is there on the oil? What are the intervals between gearoil changes?

Sorry about the tread hijack Mike.. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.