MG-Rover.org Forums banner

coolant lose

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  IanMc 
#1 ·
I have for the last 7 months had a small coolant lose. When I put coolant into the expansion bottle I use the seam in the bottle[ between the top and bottom ] as a marker of where the coolant is but it would seem it is leaking out of the seam as I can see staining on the seam of the bottle Any thoughts on this as the bottle seems water tight.

#3 ·
It could well be from the seam, possibly only happens when the system is under pressure. Some expansion tanks on F/TF’s have been known to fail completely blowing coolant over the engine and some cases working the fluid into the boot so if unsure it may be worth changing the tank. Another possibility is the expansion cap is failing allowing some coolant out that way.

#9 ·
........Have to look on ebay to see if any modified ones exist
I have never heard of any 'modified' ones being available. The standard expansion tanks are normally very robust, and whilst there have been instances of them failing, such failures are pretty rare, and in at least some cases are very likely to have been caused by faulty expansion tank caps failing to release excessive pressure build up.

#8 ·
How would you check the level or would you rely on a level sensor kit?

Reactions: barkingdog
#18 ·
With respect, that is not a solution that is an accident waiting to happen.

You appear to have found the problem, now it's time to effect the cure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.