DIY: The end of misty headlights - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:04 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Send a message via MSN to PERRY-MGTF Send a message via Skype™ to PERRY-MGTF
DIY: The end of misty headlights

Inside the yellow cap there is a small sponge that absorbs the humidity.
Just take it out, wash and dry it and put it back, or insert another dry piece of sponge and humidity is history!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:26

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
nice one Perry. I wonder if some of those pellety things that keep stuff dry in packaging would be any better than sponge
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:27

Car: BMW 3 series
Send a message via MSN to Ralz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevick View Post
nice one Perry. I wonder if some of those pellety things that keep stuff dry in packaging would be any better than sponge
Silica Gel packets

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:34 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Send a message via MSN to PERRY-MGTF Send a message via Skype™ to PERRY-MGTF
Quote:
Maybe........
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
Silica Gel packets
thats what I said
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:39

Quote:
thats what I said
You said "those pellety things that keep stuff dry", I was just saying that they are sillica gel packets.
I imagine that searching for "those pellety things that keep stuff dry" on eBay wouldn't yeild many results
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
You said "those pellety things that keep stuff dry", I was just saying that they are sillica gel packets.
I imagine that searching for "those pellety things that keep stuff dry" on eBay wouldn't yeild many results
I'll try and keep my humour to myself on here in future being as it seems to keep getting lost
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 19:57

Car: 98 MGF 1.8i
I always wondered what was under that little yellow cap...
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:07

Car: MG TF
Wink wow..nice 1

I have had foggy head light for some time now been looking on ebay for a new 1 but not verry hard...lol

Now ill give this a try Thnx

Gr8 Post
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:12

Car: 98 MGF 1.8i
Quote:
I'll try and keep my humour to myself on here in future being as it seems to keep getting lost
It just means that your humour must be ahead of its time pete!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:42

Quote:
Sorry, there was supposed to be a sarcastic face after the "You said "those pellety things that keep stuff dry" bit, but I forgot because I am a crazy fool.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:48

Car: Other Manufacturer
I have a little problem but dont think its to do with the sponge??

one headlight looked clear and the other dim when i got the car. I bought 2 high intensity bulbs yester day ( cost me 40 OUCH!!!! should have installed candles! ) anyway, got home and when i looked before replacing them i noticed there are no sidelight bulbs??? ( have to buy those 2morrow ) anyway...replaced the bulbs only to find the same thing has happened with the new bulbs!!! Haven't got a clue, could it be to do with the sponge or could it be something else?

Lise
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:51

Car: MG ZT 260 SE V8
Being an MGF (rather than TF) it's most likely that the silvering in the reflector has past it's prime (TF's have projector lights and don't suffer this problem). Unless you can find someone who can re-silver it, it's a case of a whole new light I'm afraid
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by James C View Post
Being an MGF (rather than TF) it's most likely that the silvering in the reflector has past it's prime (TF's have projector lights and don't suffer this problem). Unless you can find someone who can re-silver it, it's a case of a whole new light I'm afraid

I kinda sense this little car is gonna cost me enough to make me re-mortgage!!!!

How did i get into this ???? Never ever wanted to get a car up to ship shape and spanky before just drove them till they needed to go to the great garage in the sky! Don't understand whats happened to me

Well i think mayabe i need to take it to the garage Myromeo sugested and get the engine checked before i keep spending

Lise
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 21:32
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Garages
Quote:
I was with you at first read
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 21:44
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious View Post
I have a little problem but dont think its to do with the sponge??

one headlight looked clear and the other dim when i got the car. I bought 2 high intensity bulbs yester day ( cost me 40 OUCH!!!! should have installed candles! ) anyway, got home and when i looked before replacing them i noticed there are no sidelight bulbs??? ( have to buy those 2morrow ) anyway...replaced the bulbs only to find the same thing has happened with the new bulbs!!! Haven't got a clue, could it be to do with the sponge or could it be something else?

Lise
I bought two (90% brighter) headlamp bulbs from Halfrauds @ about 23 each, but on a buy one get one free. Great, 23 for two bulbs, but guess what, even after checking their database, they gave me the wrong one's (I should have taken an old one in). I needed a new bulb desperately for MOT and went to the local Sam Centre.......I got a complete set of six bulbs (the brighter one's) for under 20. Refund at Halfords and quids in
I don't know if there are Sam Centres elsewhere, but they have some great deals and seem to be generous with discounts (I also got 2 lower suspention arms and front disks for which they gave me 33% off list price!

Could your brightness problem be the reflector rather than the bulb?

Last edited by MoonManMike; 25-11-2008 at 21:45. Reason: comment added
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanmike View Post
I bought two (90% brighter) headlamp bulbs from Halfrauds @ about 23 each, but on a buy one get one free. Great, 23 for two bulbs, but guess what, even after checking their database, they gave me the wrong one's (I should have taken an old one in). I needed a new bulb desperately for MOT and went to the local Sam Centre.......I got a complete set of six bulbs (the brighter one's) for under 20. Refund at Halfords and quids in
I don't know if there are Sam Centres elsewhere, but they have some great deals and seem to be generous with discounts (I also got 2 lower suspention arms and front disks for which they gave me 33% off list price!

Could your brightness problem be the reflector rather than the bulb?
seems that is what is being suggested hard to explain but one bulb shows clear and bright and the other shows "opaque"

after reading your shopping tally Pingy ...think i need to bargain hunt more !!

Lise
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 22:21
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
seems that is what is being suggested hard to explain but one bulb shows clear and bright and the other shows "opaque"

after reading your shopping tally Pingy ...think i need to bargain hunt more !!

Lise
I have a similar thing on Pingu. I fitted a new headlamp unit and there is a difference compared to the older unit......new unit nice and 'sharp', old unit looks a little duller (slightly yellow by comparison). Could it be that one of your units is newer than the other? Have you tried swapping sides with the bulbs.....that would tell you if it's the bulb or the unit
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanmike View Post
I have a similar thing on Pingu. I fitted a new headlamp unit and there is a difference compared to the older unit......new unit nice and 'sharp', old unit looks a little duller (slightly yellow by comparison). Could it be that one of your units is newer than the other? Have you tried swapping sides with the bulbs.....that would tell you if it's the bulb or the unit
they're new bulbs - old ones i assumed were odd since one was brighter - hence new but new are the same - same side too, sounds like the same as Pingys i'll keep an eye out for a "bargain" replacement set,

Lise
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-11-2008, 22:42
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
they're new bulbs - old ones i assumed were odd since one was brighter - hence new but new are the same - same side too, sounds like the same as Pingys i'll keep an eye out for a "bargain" replacement set,

Lise
Options might be new units (expensive) or I understand you can get the existing units re-silvered, which must be a lot cheaper than new units! I'm not sure where you can get that done (someone on here will know). Otherwise, it may just be something you will have to live with (which is what I'm doing now, lol)