Elusive misfire - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-07-2011, 16:46 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Question Elusive misfire

Took the car out for a short run after getting the gearbox sorted, and had another brief spell of misfiring. I've had this for years, and it occurs very infrequently, maybe only once or twice a year. I go to accelerate and it starts going brrrrr---brrrrrr---brrrrr like a series of intermittent cut-outs. I back off the throttle and hold speed on a gentle throttle for a spell, and it goes away. Fortunately it's never happened as I was attempting a brisk overtake - could be interesting=
Just back from a nice long run through the wilds of Ayrshire with wall-to-wall sunshine and about 24C (top down all the way, please note) and it didn't miss a single spark.
Over the years it's had new spark plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, new good HT leads and a new coil, and it still has this hiccupping fit when I least expect it.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-07-2011, 16:50

Car: CityRover
If the fuel flow is compromised, that could also cause a misfire.

Try replacing the fuel filter as the cheapest option moving onto maybe the fuel pump if fuel delivery is the problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-07-2011, 16:50

Car: MG TF
Hey!!!

I don't know if this would help but when I had my tf she kept doing this for a while, it drove me mad! Sometimes it would even cut out! Normally in second gear x I don't know if this would help but someone told me and it worked x turn the ignition into position 2 and pump the accelerator 3 times then turn back to 0 then start the car up x

It really worked for me but again I'm not sure if it's exactly the same prob so see what everyone says x

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-07-2011, 16:58

Car: MG ZS
had a missfdire on my ZS that simply wouldnt go away, replaced plugs, coil packs, ignition leads and fuel filter, turns out in the end to be a loose connection to the ECU, gave it a wiggle and a push, has not missed a beat since

always worth a try, tis free and only takes 2 minutes, could save you alot of hassle
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-07-2011, 16:59 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinjmatt View Post
If the fuel flow is compromised, that could also cause a misfire.

Try replacing the fuel filter as the cheapest option moving onto maybe the fuel pump if fuel delivery is the problem.
I've not tried the fuel side, but it's so infrequent I can't visualise what fuel fault would do it unless the pump goes on strike briefly. But why wouldn't it do it much more often? I sometimes wonder if it's external radio interference - my wireless bike computer usually finishes with max speed on the trip of 60+mph and my pulse meter can register 240 as a max, neither of which are remotely possible. I've not been able to check whether the misfire occurs at any particular location though.