The F/TF community - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 07:11 Thread Starter
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
The F/TF community

Seems a lot of people are being easily offended lately on here. While I don't think anybody should feel offended, picked on or bullied in any way, I still think this forum is a very sheltered and safe place to be, and it is very active.

I have joined other forums where personal insulting is a way of life and it can get very viscious. You can also wait weeks to have your question answered, which can be very frustrating if you are stuck until you find a solution.

It isn't just car forums. Computer forums etc are bombarded by people who seem easily offended and attack you because you have asked a question about something they obviously love.

We would all like a forum of close friends who think like us and agree with our views, but that will never happen. In life you can pick your group of friends who you can discuss matters with, but on the net you are throwing your conversation open to the world, so don't be surprised if some of the views are a long way from what you feel are acceptable.

The advantage of having conversations where anybody can join in is that you will always get a unique perspective and the chances that someone has had the same problem as you is greatly increased.

I have heard a lot of people say the forum isn't what it used to be. Is that simply because a tried and trusted group of friends has sadly broken up for various reasons (new cars etc) over the years and you are now faced with breaking in a new set of friends with different values and views? If you went down the pub year after year with the same group and they slowly moved on leaving you on your own and then a whole new group of people came and sat with you, would you feel comfortable? Would you feel as though things have changed and it is toodifficult to accept these new people and their different views?

Don't look on these changes as a bad thing, think of it as an evolutionary process. OK, you may not have the same clique and the same type/standard of questions you used to have, but I bet you are learning some new things and getting some new perspectives.

Go back a few years and you probably wouldn't have thought that so many people would want to turbo/supercharge/tune their car to the degree that is now happening. You wouldn't have thought that somebody would fit Lambo doors to an F/TF. Some more staid owners would frown on these things, but I bet we have all learned something from them.

I would rather get flack and have people disagree with me if it means that I get a wider view of things. In fact I like a good disagreeing with every now and then, it keeps me in my place

Lets be more accepting, a little more tolerant and a little less sensitive on what is, after all, a public forum.

Please feel free to slag me off for such a long and boring post, just feel that things are getting a bit out of perspective around here. You lot have changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 07:32

Car: MGF
I agree with you completely CJJ If one is to precious or prissy to except a little flack then one should not take part. Having read Ally's thread yesterday whoever it did raise a question in my mind. Why is that some individuals should be able to enjoy the benefits of this forum (& there are plenty) long turn without becoming supporters. Otherwise what is the point in being a supporter ?
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 07:38 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I agree with you completely CJJ If one is to precious or prissy to except a little flack then one should not take part. Having read Ally's thread yesterday whoever it did raise a question in my mind. Why is that some individuals should be able to enjoy the benefits of this forum (& there are plenty) long turn without becoming supporters. Otherwise what is the point in being a supporter ?
I wasn't singling anybody out with these remarks, this has been happening for months, so anyone who has posted recently, I am not getting at you personally.

I think a lot of the subscribers on here started out as casual posters. It is a credit to the forum that it allows people so many rights when they don't pay, I wouldn't want to see that change. I personally would feel guilty if I stayed for a long period and didn't pay my dues.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 07:54

Car: TF160 + Freelander
Great post CJJ

As for supporter benefits, there are some (discounts, extra pm storage, extra pic upload facilities etc) that can be handy. There are others that are possibly not that much use to everyone.

Supporting the site is an option (and a good value one IMO as I have used the benefits to my advantage), if they made the site supporters only then all those that choose not to support (for whatever reason), would almost certainly go elsewhere and .Org would lose a very valuable group of people. Not everyone who chooses not to support is a ****, in the same way that not all supporters are angelic beings to be sat on pedastals and looked up to.

I support because I want to and it's as simple as that.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 07:59

Car: Other Manufacturer
Send a message via MSN to PaulMGTF160
That deep CJJ but very true and totally agree! Times change people move on and we all have to adapt!

Aside from some of the things that do go on in here (Ally's post - which i agree with too) it's generally a very good community of people and a place where the smaller groups of memeber / clubs come together with other groups/ Almost a sense of family!!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:05

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
I'm old CJJ, can I have the abridged version please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jan View Post
....not all supporters are angelic beings to be sat on pedastals and looked up to.....
yes we should !!!!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:08 Thread Starter
CJJ

I know. Sooo deep for this time in the morning, but I have just come home from nightshift and this is my afternoon.

I think part of the problem is a general misunderstanding of a public forum.

A group of likeminded friends that you can vet and have a discussion with is more of a social networking site.

I think of a public forum as more like standing on a stage in front of hundreds (if not thousands) of people, friends and strangers, and asking your question. Now try that sometime and see what responses you get
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:14 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevick View Post
I'm old CJJ, can I have the abridged version please
Be more flexible (metaphorically speaking ) and accept the diversity of the members, and accept new friends for what they are.

More abridged?

Stop waving your walking stick at passers by and shouting "Young whippersnappers" in a slightly whistly voice.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:22

Car: MG TF 135 Trophy Blue RHD Originally on 03 plate
Good Post CJJ.

I joined this Forum looking for help with my TF and because of general interest. I've noticed some disagreements but as you said it is still on a very decent standard when you compare it to other forums. (the British are soo polite )
Because of the great amount of help I became a supporter and I haven't regretted it.
I can't profit from any discounts though because I'm not a UK resident but that's no problem cause there's always someone on here that will give a hand with such things!

Oh and Ian, Did you get a chance to find the instruction sheet thingy yet?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:23
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint
Garages
Well written CJJ. Although not necessarily posting in them, I've been following one or two recent threads with interest. You get a remarkable insight into the type of person making the post by just reading what they've written.
As with all walks of life, there are good folk and there are some folk who are not so good. I tend to avoid those that I regard as 'not so good' and it's the same on this forum. Yes, there may sometimes come a point where a post should be reported. You can't stop freedom of speech, but if we all just ignored the 'idiots', then I would think that they would eventually get bored at the lack of response and then go away of their own accord!

I have only ever been a member of a very small handful of forums, but I believe this is without any doubt, the best of them. I've had shedloads of help, been entertained, had a laugh and despite still being new to MGF's (if not MG in general) I've even been able to help one or two people in return. Perhaps most importantly of all, I've made new friends.

.org, I love you!
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 08:29 Thread Starter
CJJ

I'm starting to get a warm feeling

Oh, hold on, my rubber pants have leaked again
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:01 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF135CoolBlue View Post
Perhaps that's part of the problem and why people don't feel welcome and inclined to post. Especially with it being so visually indicated who pays and who doesn't. Personally I looked at the list of benefits and decided I would not personally benefit from them. I looked to see where the money goes but couldn't find that information. It it was explained if/how it contributes to the running of the forum it might be different although I am sure a lot of people use many forums where there is no expectation to pay and in fact I have run several myself in the past.
You see, I see it differently to you. The benefit is to get free advice and banter, all of the other things are extras. You seem to be saying "OK I will take all your free advice etc, but what are you going to offer me for my 1 a month"

The forum must incur running costs, even if it doesn't, I get a damn site more off it than the lottery and that costs me a whole lot more. Even if the money went into the owners pocket (which I'm sure it doesn't) I personally don't care because at least someone has got off their backside and provided a valuable service.

As said, the indication helps people to see who are the comitted posters, and I don't mean that as a jibe, it is just human nature that people will see someone who invests in the site as a more reliable poster. In reality that isn't always the case, as there are some people who don't pay and are very knowledgeable.

This is not a personal dig, but I never really get someone who thinks so deeply about parting with 1 a month for such a vast resource.

There is no expectation to pay. My understanding is people can stay for free as long as they like and not be looked down on. Surely you don't think that people should get no recognition for subscribing and supporting the forum.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:04

Car: Hyundai Coupe 2.7 V6/MGF Steptronic/Skoda VRS 1.9 TDI
Nice one CCJ,

Nail well and truly whacked on the head!
I am in total agreement.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:23 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF135CoolBlue View Post
That's fine that we see things differently. I don't see that the vast majority that provide advice get paid for it. I try to give advice/answers on the few times that I have that knowledge and I have never been paid! I have also not contributed to some threads when I see a sea of red.
People give their advice for free on here, but someone owns the servers etc and rents them out to the owner of the site.

Why have you such a bee in your bonnet about subscribers vs non subscribers? It seems to me that you are the only one making an issue of it. I choose to subscribe. That doesn't make me any different to you as a non subscriber. I don't look at you any differently, why should you look at me differently.

Are you saying that you might not offer me advice just because my name is in red? That is a bit sad. I have never withheld advice because somebodies name is in orange.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:26
Supporter

Garages
I think in fairness, the red he is referring to is when things get nasty!
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:31

Car: Renaultsport Clio 197 & Renaultsport Clio 172
Send a message via Yahoo to Emily
If you think this forum is bad, try going on some of the other ones i use.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:33 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanmike View Post
I think in fairness, the red he is referring to is when things get nasty!
Maybe, but he was talking in the context of subscribers and non subscribers. I took it to mean when there is a gaggle of subscribers.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:38
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Maybe, but he was talking in the context of subscribers and non subscribers. I took it to mean when there is a gaggle of subscribers.
You're possibly correct CJJ..... in which case I would retract my comment.

Personally, I never even think to look at whether a poster is subscribed or not. It's my choice to suscribe and it's totally down to the individual.
I see it as my small contribution to helping the forum survive. I think it would be a great shame if anyone did have a prejudice between subscribers and non-subscribers (either way!)
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:40 Thread Starter
CJJ

I see.

I think the other thread was in response to baiters and trolls. It is easy to sign into a forum and just turn up to bait people and post insults. Some people think that by making it subscribers only it would get rid of these people as they wouldn't pay just to annoy people, and it probably would.

I think this would be sad because we would lose a lot of valuable input from people like yourself.

Some people may just post once in their life with a problem, others may post once in their life with advice, it would be a shame to lose these people by enforcing a subscription, and that one piece of advice might just be the one I am looking for.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 14-11-2008, 09:43 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanmike View Post
Personally, I never even think to look at whether a poster is subscribed or not.
That's funny, because in one of the posts above I put that I would never withhold advice from somebody who's name was in green. I then had to edit it when I realised it was orange. Shows how much attention that I pay to the colours.