Friends Round London 2017 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 15:30 Thread Starter

Car: TF148
Smile Friends Round London 2017

...yup...time to launch Friends Round London 2017.

This will be the 7th year we've run the event and in the 6 years to date we have raised over 31,000 for charity.

For those that don't know or haven't previously attended this is a ROOF down run round the M25 on a Saturday night in February....fancy dress optional

We've averaged just over 100 convertibles a year attending which is magnificent.

The date is Saturday 18th February 2017. The meet point is South Mimms services on the M25. When you get to South Mimms, you need to go to the hotel and register your car there to avoid getting a ticket!!!!

In the past, peeps tend to arrive from 7.30 pm onwards. Then, after chats etc...a briefing about 10pm and we set off about 10.15pm - 10.30 pm for an anti clockwise lap of the M25....making plenty of noise through the Dartford tunnels....stopping for coffee/tea and photo's at Thurrock.

The charity we are supporting again is UK homes 4 Heroes. A small charity that does superb work helping house homeless ex servicemen of which there are in excess of 4,500 in the UK which in my opinion is appalling.

The Just Giving web page is up and live and getting donations already. There is a Facebook page for Friends Round London which will have hoodies/T shirts on offer. There is also a website dedicated to FRL which has sponsor forms etc..(being updated)

www.justgiving.com/FRL2017

I start a list of attendees....lots of FB groups doing it as well....and there'll be the usual auction posts no doubt

Come and have a laugh and PLEASE help us raise loads of money for guys who gave it all for US!!!!

Mods please make a sticky as per usual....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 17:13

Car: Lotus Elise
All being well Lee, I plan on being there, not in the MG sadly but the Elise
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 19:27 Thread Starter

Elise is fine.....just make sure that roof is off
Mollydog likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee121 View Post
Elise is fine.....just make sure that roof is off

its the only way to drive
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 05:13
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Hi Lee,

I suppose you are missing link to names adding thread in this one: I'm coming on FRL 2017
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 06:54

Car: MGF VVC MK2
Ther is a way of keep non-MG cars to certain numbers?

Last years I felt there where too much MX-5 and wahtever.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:35

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Can I put in a request that the hoody be available with a zip front, there are only so many occasions where a non zip hoody can be worn.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:46

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
See you there Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post

Best solution seems to be to make sure there are enough Fs and TFs in attendance to swamp any other marque
Mollydog likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 26-10-2016, 05:40

Quote:

Have you re read what youve said? keep people who are trying to help away as they dont drive and MG

in one way yes its an MGF/TF run, while I still had my MG TF on the road I came in it and was nice to see lots and lots of MGs all driving round the M25, and at the same time help to raise money

on my first FRL run (I think it was 2011 not sure now without looking it up), there must have been well over 120 MGs going round the M25 and maybe only one or two non MGs, in those days all Lee asked for was that the open top car was a British made one

things have moved on, as these MGs die there are going to be less people in one who might attend, surely better to see people raising money for a good cause, with or without an MG.

instead of asking Lee not allow so many non MGs, why not ask if there is anything you can do to get more people to attend

if keeping the numbers of non MG cars away is the opinion of the majority, I am sure my wife will be more than pleased I stay at home keeping her company instead of taxing and insuring the Elise (it is kept off the road over the winter) for one month just to go out on a cold Saturday night covering well over 300 /350 miles round trip just to help raise a few quid for Homes for Heros

irrespective of what open top car we come in, were all on the same side, raising as much money as we can for a very good cause, but as I said, Ill be happy to stay at home if its better to keep it an MGF/TF only run

YMMV
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 26-10-2016, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydog View Post
Have you re read what you’ve said? keep people who are trying to help away as they don’t drive and MG
Well, now is clear: it's a charity event, everyone welcome.

Even if I donate, of course, to help Lee and for respect to all his effort, I'm more interested in the MG event then else.

But probably it's just me.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 17:16 Thread Starter

In response to above comments....and my word is FINAL as it is me that has organised this event for 7 years now...if you don't like it....don't bother coming.

The clue is in the title
Friends Round London
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 14:29
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
Hi Lee, we'll be there again
hung2hi likes this.

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee121 View Post
In response to above comments....and my word is FINAL as it is me that has organised this event for 7 years now...if you don't like it....don't bother coming.

The clue is in the title
Friends Round London
I want to apologize that my post come out somewhat aggressive.
Was not the intention.

The drive of the initiative is pretty clear and a nobile one.
Mollydog likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 16:55

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
Quote:
I want to apologize that my post come out somewhat aggressive.
Was not the intention.

The drive of the initiative is pretty clear and a nobile one.
I think you are right that for 'most' people, myself included, the interest lies in this as an MG event and the turn out and the event wouldn't be quite the same if it were just another general car event, however good the cause. I think last year I only noticed 25 or 30 non MGs there, bar all the other cars on the M25 , so I've never really seen it as an issue when people want to come in other cars and/or raise more money for the charity.

I/we can be a little sensitive as the same questions and complaints come up every year (shouldn't the guy with the Rover 25 be along about now to moan about not being able to come? ) but ultimately it always seem to all work out on the night...

DeathFromAbove likes this.

Last edited by Bromsgrove man; 16-11-2016 at 11:48.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 19:23 Thread Starter

Breaking News......

Those that have been before will remember that we had EastEnders Star Jake Wood come back in 2014......well Jimmy from the Charity has announced that we'll have another top Celebrity attending FRL 2017....but he wont tell me who!!!!!!!!!!
Mollydog likes this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:33

good news Lee, also are we still getting a of couple military vehicles leading the convoy?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:56
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Hi Lee.
I have downloaded a sponsor form and will start getting the lads at work to fork out some worthy squidley diddleys for the cause.
Whats the best way to get the money in when I have finished. Would I be able to get the sponsor money in up front and bring it with me on the night?

Sundance
Lee121 likes this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 18-01-2017, 14:23

Car: CityRover
Frl

I'm planning to be there in my MGF. Despite some criticism about it being an MG only event, can my mate come along in his healey or spitfire??? He promises to have the roof down!!!
Lee121 likes this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 18-01-2017, 21:14

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbullen View Post
I'm planning to be there in my MGF. Despite some criticism about it being an MG only event, can my mate come along in his healey or spitfire??? He promises to have the roof down!!!
Hi and welcome to the forum

Your mate is more than welcome as is anyone in an open top car.

James
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 20-01-2017, 18:43 Thread Starter

you can if you want too....or you could pay it into your own account then donate to the just giving link.....HUGE THANKS for your support