MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Funny sparkly stuff

633 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  unsavoury 
#1 ·
I think I know what this is but I'm not sure, can you guys tell me why I have funny copper sparkly stuff all over the place?

I have some in the coolant and some in various places in the engine bay. I'll get some pics asap

#2 ·
Sounds like a HG cure potion...

#4 ·
Sometimes people put this gunk in even though there's no evidence of HGF.
It's to give themselves a false sense of security.
In fact, it could do more damage than good if it clogs up your jiggle valves and radiator.

When my HG failed, I put 'Steel seal' in as a temporary measure until I could get the gasket replaced.
Useless! My external leak continued. That stuff is clear - like washing up liquid so I thought
it would be less intrusive than the coppery stuff.

#5 ·
Sounds like Radweld. You will probably never get rid of all of it, but best way to get rid of most of it would be to drain the cooling system and flush as many places as you can with a hose pipe and then refill with water and coolant flush and follow the instructions on the flush. Then repeat the process at least once more before filling with coolant at the proper concentration and ensuring that bleeding is done thoroughly and properly and then flush and change the coolant at least once a year until you see no more signs of the copper flakes. Once you are seeing no signs of copper revert to scheduled coolant change intervals

#8 ·
Someone put K-Seal in your car which means at one point it had a HG problem.

That stuff doesn't come out btw... ever so just check your service history for when the work was done and learn to live with your sparkly gold stuff :)

Internal K-seal decals add at least 500 hp btw.. helps redistribute the heat better meaning power output increase.

#9 ·
You could also try to get rid of as much of it as possible, if it is some nasty additive, by crushing up a dishwasher tablet (or a decent glug of fairy liquid) and adding that to the coolant tank and running the car for a bit prior to flushing out completely. Apparently it helps to clean out the system, but I don't know how effective it would be against the likes of K-Seal or Radweld.

#10 ·
That stuff is evil. My Freelander came with it too and while trying to get rid of it I got some on my gloves. Didn't think anything of it at the time but later was driven mad by it. It was like I had grabbed a thistle or cactus. The copper bits are tiny little bits of wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.