• 2 Post By CJJ
  • 4 Post By Mollydog
  • 1 Post By Roverlike

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 17:06 Thread Starter

Car: MGF + ZR
Angry halfords autocentre LOL

droped off my 2 wheels this morning to have new tyres
just got back from picking them up and as i was pulling the sticker off the tread i looked to see how many weights they used but didnt see any

phoned them up and they said the balancing machine is broken

would of been helpfull if they told me this before picking them up now have to take them back tomorrow

i could of just left them there if i had known idiots

also there are loads of marks and scratches on the front lip and all on the back
these are old alloys so i dont care but i would be pritty annoyed if they just come back from a refurb

will be avoiding them like the plague in future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 17:58

Car: 1971Triumph TR6, 2006Jaguar X Type 2.5 AWD, 2008 Volvo C70
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_cds View Post
droped off my 2 wheels this morning to have new tyres
just got back from picking them up and as i was pulling the sticker off the tread i looked to see how many weights they used but didnt see any

phoned them up and they said the balancing machine is broken

would of been helpfull if they told me this before picking them up now have to take them back tomorrow

i could of just left them there if i had known idiots

also there are loads of marks and scratches on the front lip and all on the back
these are old alloys so i dont care but i would be pritty annoyed if they just come back from a refurb

will be avoiding them like the plague in future
I would approach the subject of a partial refund to cover your expense both in time & fuel etc. Give H/O a call & explain the circumstances ie not told before hand.

Cheers

Mike.
super_cds and Pilzy like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 18:10
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Good luck with that one.
super_cds and Mikeadman like this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 19:10

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Good old Halfords can't do anything right....even their 15% code issued today has been a c0ck up taking £15.00 off instead of 15%....mind I'm not complaining got a set of their professional screwdrivers for free
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 20:00

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
Good old Halfords can't do anything right....even their 15% code issued today has been a c0ck up taking £15.00 off instead of 15%....mind I'm not complaining got a set of their professional screwdrivers for free
Might be useful if you could post up that code so others can get the same kind of 'cocked up' deal
Mollydog, super_cds and Mikeadman like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 20:09

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Might be useful if you could post up that code so others can get the same kind of 'cocked up' deal

They fixed the issue now but the code still gives 15% off hand tools code is WORK15
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
They fixed the issue now but the code still gives 15% off hand tools code is WORK15
Ahh, shame that they fixed it . Still thanks for the code
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 00:27
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
When we had the Focus ST we got Halfords to fit a Parrot system that worked with the in car hifi. When we got it back, it looked as though they had prised the carbon look facia off with a crow bar. They gave us some touch up paint.
super_cds and Mikeadman like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 03:34

Car: Lotus Elise
A few years back I had the AA with P&L, it was not long after I had my accident so the Elise wasnít used for some time, maybe 4 weeks as I had all my ribs on my left side cracked there was o way I could get in the car if my life depended on it

anyway had a friend of mine pop over one day, so I asked him to get in the car and turn her over as it had been standing still for so long

well the car didnít turn over so called the AA, when they got here they put this thing on one of the battery cables and said the battery was knackered and P&L would cover the bill, they said they recommended Halfords auto centre, well I knew no better so said OK Iíll go once weíve finished here,

they phoned Halfords auto centre to say I was on my way and would be there in the next 30 minutes told them the make and model of the car so I dinít have to hang around when I got there, the AA guy connected one of those jump start things to my car and it started right away

yes when I got there I was hanging, my car takes battery size 063, the car manual says this everywhere on the internet says this but they eventually came with a different size battery that was just too big for the limited space, but they were insistent they had got the right battery, wouldnít listen to me,

spending a good 20 minutes wondering why this battery (that was not the right one for my car) wouldnít fit, in the limited space and scratching their heads, now if that wasnít enough, my car had a Bosch S5 battery, they were trying to tell me the Bosch S3 was just the same, I would have non of itI told them to get my car started and Iíll be on my way and get the S5 battery off the net (saw them selling for around £55 - £60) well they bucked up their ideas

after an hour and a half of waging around they came with the right size and S5 battery, price? £119, I paid and the AA reimbursed me, but around 100% more than off the net, yes they did fit it but had they got the right one in the first place it wouldnít of took long, takes me around 10 minutes to take out the battery, if it has an handle

6 weeks after the 5 year guarantee the bloody battery gave up the ghost, emailed head office with proof of purchase with a small hoping that maybe they would still honour the guarantee but thought at least offer a good discount on another new one

nothing, they thanked me for using them but as the battery was out of the five year guarantee I was more than welcome to buy another one at their auto centre, not bloody likely at their prices, I went and got one off eBay for £55 and took me all of 10 minutes to replace it

will I be using them again? nope Iíd sooner take it to B&Q and hope someone in their kitchen department might know something about car batteries and let them have a go, canít be worse than the guys at Halfords Auto centre. In case some people donít know, these people are nothing to do with the Halfords people some of you go to get car accessories and car shampoo

long post but I've kept it as short as poss without taking out the important parts
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 05:20
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Just one note on car battery lifetime, in my experiance car battery will last a month or few more from the warranty period. Nevertheless it is Varta, Bosch, Exide or whatever vendor, you name it.

So when I am buying battery I just pick good enough with no so high price but with long warranty, because at the end they are all the same.

Only car battery which lasted for a long time were two OEM Rover ones in my Rover 600. Factory one lasted 9-10 years, I bought new OEM after that one has gone and paid £150 for it (mind I need to pay extra cost for postal delivery to my country) and it was well worth, since it lasted another 9-10 years.

Now I have Varta with warranty of 2 years. After 2 years I will have to buy another one...
barkingdog likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 09:12

Car: Lotus Elise
we bought our MR2 roadster in 2006, as an X demo car, was around 6 to 9 months old iirc, we had the same battery in it till around only 18 months back, lasted a good 9 years,
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 11:13
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Replacements never seem to last as well as the OEM. The one on the MG was well over 10 years old.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 12:46

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Yes, I've noticed the same - original fit batteries seem to last for years - perhaps because they are fitted to a car soon after manufacture and initial charge, where replacements may have been on the shelf for some time (possibly having been recharged once or twice too).

However, my current ZR had a replacement Yuasa battery on it when I bought it a little over 4 years ago, and I have only recently had to replace it due to it losing charge if the car was left unused for more than a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Just one note on car battery lifetime, in my experiance car battery will last a month or few more from the warranty period. Nevertheless it is Varta, Bosch, Exide or whatever vendor, you name it.
........Only car battery which lasted for a long time were two OEM Rover ones in my Rover 600. Factory one lasted 9-10 years, .........
Now I have Varta with warranty of 2 years.
The factory fit batteries in Rover Group and MG Rover vehicles were supplied by Delphi (and were indeed an excellent battery). In 2006, Delphi pulled out of manufacturing vehicle batteries, and sold their technology and factories to Johnson Controls, who had acquired the Varta battery business in 2002. This probably makes the current Varta battery range about the nearest you would find to the factory fit Delphi ones.

Johnson Controls produce about a third of all the automotive batteries manufactured each year, many supplied under one of the five Johnson Controls own brands, with many more being supplied to other companies for sale under their own brand, so there is fairly good chance that you may be buying a Johnson manufactured battery anyway. For one, if you compare the casing design and spec of Bosch vehicle batteries, it is fairly obvious that they are a actually manufactured by Varta
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 13:19

My Bosch S5 is still going strong after well over its 5yr warranty. Still starts first time, every time with no grumbling.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 17:00
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
I always invest in good batteries as they struggle less and seem to have more in reserve.

I buy Yuasa.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 18:47

Car: CityRover
Halfrods!

Can anyone remember the farce they had when they teamed up with Daewoo?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 18:55

I got an S5 for my F, must have been 9 years ago. It's now in my dads nissan and still working fine. Replaced the batteries in both my other cars towards the end of 2015 with Bosch S5's we'll see how they last.