Heater cable adjustment. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 17:25 Thread Starter
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Heater cable adjustment.

I have been suffering for a while with a heater system that will never fully shut off, so even though the knob was turned fully into the blue I was still getting warm air. This wasn't good on a warm rainy day with the hood up.

So I decided to have a fiddle a couple of days ago and see if I could adjust the cables.

This will work for either the hot/cold or the directional knob (winscreen/feet etc) as they are bothe cable operated.

First of all you need to take the footwell light panel off.

Drivers side for the temp and passenger side for the direction/vents.

First remove the 2 crosshead screws holding the panel in place.

And pull the panel forwards and down.

And disconnect the 2 spade connectors to the lamp holder. Remember which way around they were connected.

The heater control cable is the red cable shown here and the clip you need to play with is circled in yellow.

The first thing I noticed was that a loom was very close to the moving parts of the valve.

So I tucked the cable out of the way to prevent damage.

You can see the clip that secures the cable in place. The clip is just a spring clip that bites into the cable outer and holds it in place. You need to push the rounded tab away from you and towards the cable.

This releases the clip and allows you to move the cable up or down.

You need to move the cable up if you want more hot (A) or down if you want cooler (B).

I needed to move mine down.

Once adjusted you need to feed the rounded tab back through the bracket and push it until it clicks into place and bites into the cable.

The valve should now close more in my case when the knob is turned to blue. If the knob won't turn to the full cold position then you have adjusted too much

and you shoud readjust the cable until it is right.

So, know I have cool air once again. Err....Cool.

Remember not to place too much stress on the valve as it could easily be damaged. It is also possible that the symptoms are of a damaged valve and if this adjustment doen't work then you might have to change the valve.

The cable that controls the vent selection is on the passenger side and is coloured grey. The clip is similar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 17:27

Car: BCAWW - Sunspot Yellow TF, Monty - Typhoon 160 TF - Fizz 160 TF - white with purple leather interior
Send a message via MSN to Pendle Lass
think this is the same as my problem Clive....... I never get any cold air at all.....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 17:38

Car: MG TF160, Daytona 955 x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
I have been suffering for a while with a heater system that will never fully shut off, so even though the knob was turned fully into the blue I was still getting warm air. This wasn't good on a warm rainy day with the hood up.

So I decided to have a fiddle a couple of days ago and see if I could adjust the cables.

This will work for either the hot/cold or the directional knob (winscreen/feet etc) as they are bothe cable operated.

First of all you need to take the footwell light panel off.

Drivers side for the temp and passenger side for the direction/vents.

First remove the 2 crosshead screws holding the panel in place.

And pull the panel forwards and down.

And disconnect the 2 spade connectors to the lamp holder. Remember which way around they were connected.

The heater control cable is the red cable shown here and the clip you need to play with is circled in yellow.

The first thing I noticed was that a loom was very close to the moving parts of the valve.

So I tucked the cable out of the way to prevent damage.

You can see the clip that secures the cable in place. The clip is just a spring clip that bites into the cable outer and holds it in place. You need to push the rounded tab away from you and towards the cable.

This releases the clip and allows you to move the cable up or down.

You need to move the cable up if you want more hot (A) or down if you want cooler (B).

I needed to move mine down.

Once adjusted you need to feed the rounded tab back through the bracket and push it until it clicks into place and bites into the cable.

The valve should now close more in my case when the knob is turned to blue. If the knob won't turn to the full cold position then you have adjusted too much

and you shoud readjust the cable until it is right.

So, know I have cool air once again. Err....Cool.

Remember not to place too much stress on the valve as it could easily be damaged. It is also possible that the symptoms are of a damaged valve and if this adjustment doen't work then you might have to change the valve.

The cable that controls the vent selection is on the passenger side and is coloured grey. The clip is similar.
Thanks CJJ! Just what I need. Never get any air on the windscreen.
Very funny when it's raining and roof is up and windows closed....
steam everywhere!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 17:50 Thread Starter
CJJ

It is possible that the valve or the heater matrix is at fault, but it is always worth starting with the cheap or free fixes first.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 17:51 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Lass View Post
think this is the same as my problem Clive....... I never get any cold air at all.....
Try doing the same as I have done, it might solve it. I had to drive with the window down in the rain because it was too warm.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 19:41

Car: MGTF 160
Talking warm

You wont be getting too warm this winter now you've fixed it!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 20:50

Car: MGF mk2 Freestyle 1.8mpi 16" wheels
Another useful 'how to'.

When the cable is disconnected - is it worth manipulating the valve lever to check the valve operation?

David
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 20:53 Thread Starter
CJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiketgate View Post
Another useful 'how to'.

When the cable is disconnected - is it worth manipulating the valve lever to check the valve operation?

David
If you can, never really tried. I would have done if the cable adjustment hadn't worked.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 20:55

Car: MG TF 160
Great post CJJ.

A little off topic; I think i may need to take those pannels off as my HU has millions of cables and the last thing i want is them getting jammed, but you can never get to them as the HU is in the way.... so side ways is next....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 21:07

Car: Tigger, MGF 1.8mpi 2001, ST Orange
Thanks for that CJJ... Mine seems to have the same problem too.... All hot air and no cold at all..
Will have a little fiddle with mine during the week..

Great step by step
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 14:27 Thread Starter
CJJ

Let me know if this solves anyone elses heating woes.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 15:27

Car: MG TF 135 X Power Grey
I had to do a similar thing to you CJJ, while you are doing it its also a good opportunity to straighten out your alarm/immobiliser receiver (itís the yellow cable that doesnít seem go anywhere) it usually gets curled up but if you straighten it out and tape it down it should give you a longer range on your key fob.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 16:11

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_wh View Post
.....while you are doing it its also a good opportunity to straighten out your alarm/immobiliser receiver (itís the yellow cable that doesnít seem go anywhere).......
only on the F, on the TF it seems to be invisible !!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-09-2009, 17:31

Well got round do doing this today and it doesnt seem to have made any difference.. Still blowing hot air, so I guess it must be something to do with the valve?
Without sounding too stupid, what do I try next?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-09-2009, 17:50 Thread Starter
CJJ

A new valve probably. You can try moving the valve by hand if you can get to it, but it sounds like it might be jamming slightly open. The bad news is you have to drain the coolent to do it.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-09-2009, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
A new valve probably. You can try moving the valve by hand if you can get to it, but it sounds like it might be jamming slightly open. The bad news is you have to drain the coolent to do it.
Pahh thats what I didnt want to hear lol.. Oh well winter is coming I suppose, so better to have warm air than cold eh?.....
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-09-2009, 18:21

Car: MGF
Been meaning to post a question about this for a while. I get cold air when the dial is at cold, but if I move it one notch it goes straight to hot-will this work for my problem do you think cjj? Need to try it on the air direction dial too, don't seem to get any air to the windscreen...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-10-2011, 12:52

Car: MG TF
Just looking at this thread. Nice write up . My heat source comes constantly through the vents regardles of where i position the knob. I really need the heat to come out of the windscreen vents. Any ideas which direction i need to be adjusting the grey cable?

Also, when i have my heater on vents, i don't want any hot air coming through the centre vents (as i don't have any anymore). Would i be ok to block up the centre vent from behind to force more air through the side vents?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-10-2011, 17:07 Thread Starter
CJJ

I think the air comes out of the blowers no matter what you select. You stop the blowers by shutting them and thid redirects the air to whatever else you have selected.

If you have removed the centre blowers then I would blank that branch off, but remember that you or the next owner may want to reverse this in the future, so I wouldn't make it too permanent.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-10-2011, 17:31

Car: MG TF
Cheers Clive,

I'll block up the hole tomorrow and then re-check my vents to see if anything IS coming out of the heater vents

Peter