How to - adding a touch of ZT class to TF door handles - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:27 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar F-Type Coupe, Range Rover Evoque, 1967 MG 1100 & 1966 MGB GT
How to - adding a touch of ZT class to TF door handles

It 's about time I contributed something on the forum having benefitted from other peoples' efforts. I happened to have 4 chromed plastic bezels from the internal door handle bowls (escutcheons is the term, I think, but I will stick to bowls or inserts) of the MG ZT, which are the same as the 75. I know some have adapted the entire 75/ZT door handle to fit but I always look for the easier option and this is an easy enough job to do requiring few tools and not a lot of time, maybe an hour at best.

I took a ride over to see Jill in Glossop this afternoon and bought a couple of these door handle bowls for a reasonable 5 for the pair. Usually, with upgrades, I try to keep the original parts and modify second-hand bits instead.

The first thing I noticed is that a lot of the plastic bits in the TF LE500 (and presumably the 135 and 85th 2008> models) are slightly different. The faux Allen or Hex head bolts in the gear gaiter surround are one example and you can see in the next two images that the bowls are also subtley different, but this should not affect the fitting of the bezels as I used >2005 bowls anyway.

The peg is no longer used on the rear.

There is a distinct edge to the LE bowl that isn't on the >2005 bowl.

You will need to unclip the bezels from the 75/ZT door handle units and then remove the four tabs with a pair of pliers carefully. You can bend them gently till they snap, or use wire cutter pliers to nibble the tabs away. Each bezel is marked either L or R and you will use the bezels accordingly for the left and right. However, having cut the tabs away, you will find on test fitting that the Top of the bezel is not a good match for the curve of the door pod whereas the lower part is perfectly matched so you will use the bezels upside down.

The bowls are too big to fit the bezel so you need to remove the lip of the bowl. I used a bench grinder to gently work away the material but that's probably not good practice and you need to go in slow careful grinds so you don't take too much away. A 'Dremel' type tool may be better. Keep test fitting the bowl to the door and try the bezel over that and you will find you may need to reduce the height of the bowl at the forward end, too, to ensure the bezel sits neatly against the door pod and doesn't sit proud of it. A bit of sand paper will take off any flashing from grinding the plastic.

Keep test fitting and keep grinding, as you can see a fair amount of the lip needs to come off by comparison to the original bowl.

Then once you are happy with the fit, glue the bezel to the bowl. I sat the bowl slighly up from the natural position to ensure clearance of the lower part of the door handle when opening. Remember the bit marked 'Top' goes to the bottom. Don't put too much glue round the top part as there are several clips in the door pod so too much glue will prevent the bezel sitting neatly into these clips.

And the finished job...unfortunately black, chrome and flash light are not ideal condtions and it looks seriously good, much better than the photos suggest, but I will try and get some more shots in the daylight.

As Jill said about their LE500, it's very dark inside with all the black and these bezels really lift the interior adding a touch of class!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:30

Car: MGTF 85
Fantastic how to.

They look very, very nice.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:32

Car: TF148
What a cracking 'how to'......well deserved rep Martin

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:32

Car: MGF Lucifer & Ford Clitoris
Send a message via MSN to The Jester
excellent...bling bling

shame mines a mk1
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:36

Car: MGF
great idea and how to.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:51
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
A nice finishing touch to the black interior. Good how to
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:53

Car: MG ZR 160
Good work, I like it. The subtle touches are the ones that make the difference.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 20:56

Car: Rover 75
They look really nice mate; well done!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 21:01 Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated, and I have yet to do the driver's door, I was so pleased with the passenger door that I just had to show it off!

The next thing is what to do with the pull handles below? I currently have a small piece of carpet in the bottom of each to hide the screws and give a soft touch feel when closing the door, but it would be nice to do something classy with them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 21:06

Car: 73MGB + MG ZR + TF LE500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 75 View Post
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated, and I have yet to do the driver's door, I was so pleased with the passenger door that I just had to show it off!

The next thing is what to do with the pull handles below? I currently have a small piece of carpet in the bottom of each to hide the screws and give a soft touch feel when closing the door, but it would be nice to do something classy with them.
and when you have finished perhaps you could do me a couple for ours!
Marie
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 21:16

Car: Rover 75
Do you think this would work in my Mk2 F?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 21:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Do you think this would work in my Mk2 F?
Hopefully someone that knows Mk2 Fs better will be able to confirm if the pod and bowl are the same, but if it will fit it will certainly improve your chances of finding a girlfriend!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 21:32

Car: MGTF 85
Quote:
Hopefully someone that knows Mk2 Fs better will be able to confirm if the pod and bowl are the same, but if it will fit it will certainly improve your chances of finding a girlfriend!

I will have two sets in that case
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 22:32

Car: MGF 1.8i, Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur, Rover 25 1.4i GLi
What a brilliant and simple bit of custom bling modding!!! Give me!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 15:49 Thread Starter

Just to add to this, today I found a pair of ZT door lock button surrounds. They're a little too narrow for my door pins but a few minutes spent with a drill and making the hole larger, and a bit of glue, and another small touch of chrome for the bling factor.

The door pins seem to rise at an angle, plus these are a bit deeper than the standard type so you need to carefully bore the hole out quite a bit to prevent the pin sticking or the surround being moved. It is still possible to grip the button, but I don't think I have ever unlocked the door with the button so it's not a big deal, and in an emergency the surround can be pulled off.

These two simple mods really make the TF interior feel more luxurious.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-03-2011, 22:09

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:

As Jill said about their LE500, it's very dark inside with all the black and these bezels really lift the interior adding a touch of class!
Is that steering mounted controls for the radio ?

Nice mod !
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-03-2011, 22:19

Car: MGF 1.8i, Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur, Rover 25 1.4i GLi
Quote:
Just to add to this, today I found a pair of ZT door lock button surrounds. They're a little too narrow for my door pins but a few minutes spent with a drill and making the hole larger, and a bit of glue, and another small touch of chrome for the bling factor.

The door pins seem to rise at an angle, plus these are a bit deeper than the standard type so you need to carefully bore the hole out quite a bit to prevent the pin sticking or the surround being moved. It is still possible to grip the button, but I don't think I have ever unlocked the door with the button so it's not a big deal, and in an emergency the surround can be pulled off.

These two simple mods really make the TF interior feel more luxurious.

Nice touch!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-03-2011, 22:33 Thread Starter

Thanks, Mgf120

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post
Is that steering mounted controls for the radio ?

Nice mod !
Hi Mark, Graham Walker let me take the steering wheel home one night while they were welding the dash and I fitted the controls that came from a Rover 45 wheel for 10. The adaptor cables came to an another 24 inc. p&p. Well worth doing as I hate the little remote that came with the unit and around town I find I am having to adjust the volume a lot in the traffic so this will make it easier.
See this thread: How to: Steering wheel audio controls.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 27-02-2012, 16:08

Car: MG TF
Chrome door lock catches.

I'm going to try this this week!!!.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 27-02-2012, 16:12

Car: MGF
Send a message via AIM to LEEMANS
Ding Dong !!!

Bling Bling !!

I likey !!

Very nice mods that look awesome !!

Happy MGing