How to replace your alternator belt. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 20:10 Thread Starter
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
How to replace your alternator belt.

A badly adjusted or loose alternator belt can cause overheating of the belt, squealing when first starting or pulling away, and , critically on an F/TF, can fail, jamming the timing belt and wrecking the engine.

If the alternator belt is old, contaminated, or on full adjustment already then it should be changed.

Firstly, jack up the car so that you can gain access from underneath. Remember to chock the front wheels and use axle stands for safety.

Remove the offside rear wheel and you will see a plastic cover between you and the engine. This is held on with about 3 plastic crosshead screws. Remove these and remove the plastic panel.

The F has a slightly different cover, or may not have one at all.

This will now give you access to the crankshaft pulley, alternator belt and two of the bolts that you need to undo.

You can also just see the alternator through the subframe

Loosen the nut from the top securing bolt.

Next, loosen the bolt that holds the adjuster bracket to the engine, from the wheel arch.

Loosen the lower alternator securing bolt.

The alternator is now loose on the 3 securing bolts. You should now slacken and remove the 8mm adjusting bolt, shown here on a removed engine (no way to get the camera in on the car). This is best done from underneath the car with a ratchet and extension.

Now swivel the alternator towards the engine and remove the belt. If the alternator won’t move far enough you may have to remove the lower securing bolt from the alternator, and the adjuster bracket should now swivel down, free of the alternator.

Refit the belt and ensure that it is sitting correctly on both pulleys.

Clip the lower bracket back over the 8mm adjuster screw and refit the lower bolt through the alternator (if removed earlier), so that it protrudes through the slot in the bracket. Refit the nut, but do not tighten at this stage.

Now tighten the 8mm adjuster screw until the correct tension is felt on the belt. I went for about 15mm movement up/down at the longest point. You can also twist the belt to get a feeling of how tight it is. There is probably a correct figure somewhere, but I have done a few belts in my time and tend to go by feel, which is difficult to put in words. Over tightening can cause more problems than under tightening, as you are putting a greater load on the bearings.

Once the belt is at a correct tension you can tighten the 3 alternator securing bolts.

The upper bolt

The engine securing bolt

And the bottom alternator securing bolt

Your new alternator belt is now fitted and adjusted. It may be worth starting the engine at this point and checking that the new belt doesn't squeal when you put the heater on full along with the lights. Now to put the car back together. Don't forget to put the plastic cover back in the wheel arch.

Put the wheel back on, but before putting the rest of the car back together, it might be worth checking that the alternator is charging OK. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.48 Volts. Started the car and.....It works, 14.18 Volts.

Now you can put the rest of the car back together.

It may be advisable to put some threadlock on the 8mm adjuster bolt, as this has been known to work loose and fall out.

Usual stuff applies. Although I have tried to think of everything you need, I can't be held responsible if you try this yourself and things go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 20:28

Car: Other Manufacturer
If you can't fit the small 8mm adjustment bolt in (or you're missing one because someone snapped it off, sigh) then you can reassemble with the belt off and the adjustments so it'd be slightly tighter (bascially 5-10mm further along the adjustment slot on the lower are; mark where the existing position is before loosening anything off).. then use the VW Beetle technique for putting the belt back on (using a socket to turn the engine over and NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES running the engine like the VS Beetle way).

ALWAYS use a new belt.. they are cheep.. breaks are expensive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 20:30

Ps. Where did you put the axel stand CJJ... it's not visible in any of the pictures.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 20:39 Thread Starter
CJJ

I usually place it under the subframe cross member.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 20:47
Hobbyist

Car: MG TF 160, ZR 2.0 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_bartram View Post
Ps. Where did you put the axel stand CJJ... it's not visible in any of the pictures.
Its hidden but just visible in pic 3
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 22:58

Aha, interesting, you put it in a different place to me... I normally put in on the front member of the sub-frame; it's a little more central and I don't have to jack the car up quite as high to get it in. From what I remember, my stands aren't flat on top, but have lips either side, and I don't think I ever managed to get them to site nicely there.

Either way axel stands = good (safe)

Ps. They are some old photos there CJJ... pre-SPAX shocks!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-10-2011, 23:32

Car: MG ZT-T
twins

How come two posts with different names but same content?
Talk about attention seeking, or maybe its his age, old people tend to repeat themselves.
old people tend to repeat themselves,
old peop, oh bugger!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 22-10-2011, 00:33 Thread Starter
CJJ

Old people tend tp miss out on the subtleties of slightly different threads too.