How to: Replacing suspension bushes (rear) on MGF-the easy way - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 14:06 Thread Starter

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
How to: Replacing suspension bushes (rear) on MGF-the easy way

Needed to replace bushes on my shock absorbers (dampers). I know they ar enot polys, but for 1.60 each, if they last another 8 years, then I am not complaining

Looked at excellent how to on Rob Bells site. This involved removing dampers. Not a problem...on paper. Couldnt get a good enough grip on top part of the shock to remove top bolt.

So I thought...do I need to remove damper...

No I didn't. Thought it was just easy cos my bush was so knackered, but on the other side, the bush was in better condition and I still did it without removing anything on car, just 1 bolt

So , I will skip obvious stuff such as removing wheels and using axle stands for safety, as this is obvious.

Here is the shock absorber with bush at bottom. This was easily moveable with my fingers...bad times..

This bolt is 17mm, not 14 as mentioned on Rob Bells site. However most sockets wont fit over the bolt, so you need a deep socket. I had a double ender I use to remove wheel nuts, 17 on one side, 19 on the other (19 for the wheel nuts), and this worked a treat. You need to hold the nut at the other side with a socket/wrench or an adjustable wrench.

Caution though the bolt on the bush side was well rusted on and this happened to my first 13mm socket. Found a HF Pro one which is good quality and that did the job. You may also want to lube the end of the bolt with release oil for 5 mins or so as this is very rusty and its hard to get the nut off the last bit.

Anyway, when nut comes off, remove the bolt, a spacer and 2 washers will fall out. The washer goes against bush, the spacer against suspension parts.

The first bush just pushed out by hand, as did the central metal tube (can't think of a good name just now). The other side was in better nick though and in order to get metal tube out I had to use mole grips and a small socket with tapered end. Pushed the small end into tube then presses it through with moles grips.

Next the bush, again much tighter this time. Used a screwdriver and it was easy enough to persuade out.

Here is old bush (worn) and new one. Cost, 1.60 from Rimmers

To replace, this is where a vice comes in handy. Not ideal if you are doing it on the car, but my vice was small enough to do the job, I reckon it would also be possible just using mole grips etc.

Anyway lube up the rubber , I used white lithium grease, dunno if thats OK or not. I assume it wont perish the rubber though. The bush simply presses in by hand.

I then used the vice to insert the metal tube into the bush. Finished it off using mole grips.

Or another tip here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager View Post
When you're reassembling the parts, I found it impossible to get the little metal tube back into the rubber bush using the method above - it just kept squirming out of the way. I eventually got it in by putting it over the bolt and using the nut to force it back into the bush.

Now, in true Haynes fashion, fit in reverse

The nearside one had an extra bracket which attaches to a cable to the brakes. This remains attached though, so its difficult to not remember to connect it.

Whilst wheel was off I changed my chavvy red rear calipers to silver, to match the front. Bit less "show off" than red, but better than rusty metal.

Last edited by Broon; 25-06-2010 at 14:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 16:41

Car: MGF
Question Rimmers?????

Hi Broon.Who is this Rimmers and where do I find him......
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 16:42 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colashbury View Post
Hi Broon.Who is this Rimmers and where do I find him......
Rimmer Bros, sell nearly every single part for MGFs/TFs

Have a funky online catalogue too

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 16:44

Car: 2004 1.6 Sunstorm & 1998 Range Rover HSE Auto.
Send a message via MSN to adamelphick
Blimey Broon I just fiddled with adding rubber washers on the bushes to sure them up a bit and now I find the bushes are only 1.60 - blast you now I want to do it all again! (although my washers did cost nowt as they were in my tool box!)
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 16:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamelphick View Post
Blimey Broon I just fiddled with adding rubber washers on the bushes to sure them up a bit and now I find the bushes are only 1.60 - blast you now I want to do it all again! (although my washers did cost nowt as they were in my tool box!)
Yep, 1.57 includsive of VAT
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 17:26

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
nice work broony
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 17:42

Question cheers

Cheers Broony.Appreciated mate.Just gotta ask yer.Why did yer change them besides the obvious of they looked crap.Was there a problem with suspension was a bit shaky or what.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 17:55 Thread Starter

Quote:
Cheers Broony.Appreciated mate.Just gotta ask yer.Why did yer change them besides the obvious of they looked crap.Was there a problem with suspension was a bit shaky or what.
Yeah. My car has been jumping around at the rear when going over vbumps, very twitchy, and generally bumpy. I noticed a few months back that the damper simpy moved with little pressure, so I knew it was a gonner. Its quite a common feature on Fs due to their age and the fact its a rubber component. Add to that the state of the roads in Aberdeen I already had to change the tie rod bar thingmy last year too, due to perished rubber. I dont think it helps that my suspension is needing pumped and has done for several years

I went for a drive tonight and its quite a startling difference in ride quality!! Going for a decent windy road trip tomorrow should be able to confirm.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 18:06

Unhappy Anti roll bar links

Just changed the anti roll bar links as they were perished.Changed me wheels as they had a wobble on the front.Difficult to balance.Changed the brake caliper as was seized but still av a bit of a wobble somewheres.Seems to be a bit shaky everytime yer hit a slight bit of rough road.Whilst doin the roll bar links,had a look at the damper bush.Moves around quite a bit so guess it may be gone.Noticed that the offside disc may be slightly warped as well,so this may be the prob......
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 28-06-2008, 18:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Just changed the anti roll bar links as they were perished.Changed me wheels as they had a wobble on the front.Difficult to balance.Changed the brake caliper as was seized but still av a bit of a wobble somewheres.Seems to be a bit shaky everytime yer hit a slight bit of rough road.Whilst doin the roll bar links,had a look at the damper bush.Moves around quite a bit so guess it may be gone.Noticed that the offside disc may be slightly warped as well,so this may be the prob......
ARBs that's what I emant

I guess a warped disk would give you wobble
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 30-06-2008, 14:39

Thumbs up cant find em.

Contacted Rimmers today.They cant find these bushes anywheres.Can you get me a catalogue or ref number and I will ring em back....Cheers
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 30-06-2008, 14:52 Thread Starter

This is the part number

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 30-06-2008, 21:01
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Nice idea getting the vice to put the bush on with - these can be a real struggle to fit - they were on the Morris anyway - it took 2 of us to get the bushes in place
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 30-06-2008, 21:25

Car: MGF mk2 Freestyle 1.8mpi 16" wheels
Quote:
Contacted Rimmers today.They cant find these bushes anywheres.Can you get me a catalogue or ref number and I will ring em back....Cheers
Hi, it's called the shock absorber bush and the Rimmers no for front is RNF100090L(82p each) or RNF100090LP (54p each)for the standard or RNF100090POLY (1.63p each)for the poly bush. Back is as Broon displays
David

Last edited by Aiketgate; 30-06-2008 at 23:23.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 17:12

Smile Are they different to the rear ones

Hi Aiketgate.Do you know if they differ from the rear ones.Sent for them yesterday and hopefully they will arrive tomoz.Not sure if the rear ones need doin so was goin to put em on front.If yer know,please enlighten me....Cheers
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 17:29 Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Aiketgate.Do you know if they differ from the rear ones.Sent for them yesterday and hopefully they will arrive tomoz.Not sure if the rear ones need doin so was goin to put em on front.If yer know,please enlighten me....Cheers
They must be different if they have different part nos I guess
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 18:47

Car: MGF mk2 Freestyle 1.8mpi 16" wheels
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broon View Post
They must be different if they have different part nos I guess
Mmm,
I honestly don't know. Looking at them on the car, I assumed they were all the same, but seeing the different part numbers make you think. Having said that, Mike Satur sells a poly set and all four corners look identical; as do his shocker set.
It looks as if you'll have to tell us when you get them!
David
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 18:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiketgate View Post
Mmm,
I honestly don't know. Looking at them on the car, I assumed they were all the same, but seeing the different part numbers make you think. Having said that, Mike Satur sells a poly set and all four corners look identical; as do his shocker set.
It looks as if you'll have to tell us when you get them!
David
Looking forward to it
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 18:55

Car: MGF 1.8i, MGF & MGTF 1:18
Send a message via Skype™ to Herbie
Broon, did you tighten the lower bolt under full load at last ?
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 18:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
Broon, did you tighten the lower bolt under full load at last ?
Yes Herbie