Interior Lights - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:26
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Just to get further information in order not to put you on wrong track and to give you point where to look. Tell me, when you unplugged connectors from red multifunction unit, did light goes off or stayed on? Also while you were doing this swap did you disconnect car battery or you left it connected?

I am asking these questions in order to get info if my above suspicion is correct. If light stayed on when connectors are disconnected, then above is correct. If light went off, then problem might be elswhere, providing info to mfu that light should be switched on and we might need to investigate further.

Of course, there is always possibility that problem is in connector to multifunction unit and we need to eliminate it first. Connector can be tricky and no false connection when disconnected, but when it is put back on it makes false connection.

Do you have multimeter in order to help you investigate some points?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:05 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Just to get further information in order not to put you on wrong track and to give you point where to look. Tell me, when you unplugged connectors from red multifunction unit, did light goes off or stayed on? Also while you were doing this swap did you disconnect car battery or you left it connected?
BATTERY WAS DISCONNECTED
BUT I CAN DO IT AGAIN

I am asking these questions in order to get info if my above suspicion is correct. If light stayed on when connectors are disconnected, then above is correct. If light went off, then problem might be elswhere, providing info to mfu that light should be switched on and we might need to investigate further.

Of course, there is always possibility that problem is in connector to multifunction unit and we need to eliminate it first. Connector can be tricky and no false connection when disconnected, but when it is put back on it makes false connection.

Do you have multimeter in order to help you investigate some points?
YES BUT NO IDEA HOW TO USE APART FROM VOLTAGE

Once again thank you

ME
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 16:19
Rover Lifestyle

You would need to check grey, bigger connector on multifunction unit. You need to see if there is any piece of wire touching metal part of pin number 2 and this providing earth connection. You have to look dor piece,of,wire which does not belomg on the connector.

Otherwise you will need to use multimeter on resistance setting. Usualy there is a buzzer on this section which can alert you if you have connection. You can test it by joining terminals together, and you will hear buzzer.

Then you would need to check if you have earth connection on three pins from grey connector: pin 2 with pink/red wire, pin 20 with pink/grey wire and pin 21 with pink/white wire.

If you have ground connection on any of these wires you know in which direction problem is. Pin 2, you havemto look from MFU toward interior light. Pin 20 you need to look from MFU toward RH door, and pin 21 from MFU toward LH door.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 14:59 Thread Starter

Ok will give it a go @ the weekend

Cheers
ME
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 21:27 Thread Starter

Just a quick update

Because I only had a few minutes to play tonight I took the bulbs out of the footwell lights and the removed the boot bulb, disconnected the yellow plug on the mirror lights so I can now leave the fuse in and have music

I have now noticed that when I lock the car the indicators now flash once (never have before)

ME
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 04:52
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliott View Post
Just a quick update

Because I only had a few minutes to play tonight I took the bulbs out of the footwell lights and the removed the boot bulb, disconnected the yellow plug on the mirror lights so I can now leave the fuse in and have music

I have now noticed that when I lock the car the indicators now flash once (never have before)

ME
This is a progress. Indicators should flash three times when locking and once when unlocking IIRC.
You may want to return one bulb or connector at a time to see what happens, as you might find the problem.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:16 Thread Starter

Hi
Always flashed once when locking and the alarm is active when locked

Silly question but where are the earth points around the car, especially under the dash area?

Cheers
ME
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:42
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliott View Post

Silly question but where are the earth points around the car, especially under the dash area?

Cheers
ME
Here you have guide for earth points: MG F/TF Earth Points Locations Guide
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 13:29 Thread Starter

Thank you

Will check them out asap

ME
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 14:19 Thread Starter

Roverlike I've sent you a PM
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 15:41
Rover Lifestyle

I replied
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 17-05-2017, 15:28 Thread Starter

I've just come back from holiday and its not stopped raining!

I can't get on with my interior light problem, cant even drive car as the door cards etc. aren't fixed on
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 05:16
Rover Lifestyle

We have to be patient...
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 21:03

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
When he says raining......

One place locally only normally has 50mm of rain in May, in the last 48 hours they have had 70mm.