MG-Rover.org Forums banner

LE 500 faults (double) beam

813 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
It's often weeks or months after picking up a car that you notice 'minor' things not working.

I got my 13K LE500 in June, but only noticed the other day that the full beam selector does not work. I can do the full beam flash, but cannot get full beam (blue light on dash) to stay on as the stalk selector does not seem to lock into place.

Anyone else had this issue? And how can it be fixed?

Also the screen wash is not working...no sound of a motor at all when the stalk is pulled...though the wipers go through their wash sequence to a dry screen.

#2 ·
High beam - have you tried pushing it forward....as in towards the dash?

Window washer - never heard the washer motor on mine, there is water in the tank I assume? The washer bottle is easy to remove if you need to check the motor

#3 ·
The stalk doesn't lock into place. You pull it towards you to switch on main beam and then pull it towards you again to switch off main beam. It, obviously, only works when the headlights are switched on. If the headlights are not switched on then pulling the stalk towards you just flashes the headlights for as long as you hold the stalk in the pulled position.
If you are not getting the sound of the washer pump when pulling the stalk towards you then it is possible the pump is not working. It is on the washer fluid tank under the black plastic cover under the bonnet. I don't know about the LE500, but MG Rover built TFs only wash when the stalk is pulled towards you. The wipers don't operate at all with the wash. To make the wipers operate at the same time as the wash you have to pull the stalk towards you and press it down at the same time. Pushing down activates the wipers until you let go and pulling towards you operates the washer pump.

#4 ·
Had to change the pump on mine. not a major issue. Take out the plastic trim, lift the bottle out of the mounting and the pump is ins a recess in the bottom of the bottle. Rimmer supplied a replacement with a new rubber grommet to fit in the hole.

As for the stalk, mine operates the the wash jets and the wipers for three cycles when I pull the stalk back

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. My previous 2003 TF did not wipe the screen when the washer jets were enabled, so I guess this is an upgrade on the SAIC cars? Anyway, it's either the pump, a fuse, or the connection. Need to investigate. It did work for a day or so and then stopped.

Re the lights...yes the headlamps were on when I tried ...down a dark country lane which is why I wanted main beam and discoverd it would not stay on..will only flash. Have tried again since, but no joy. Woul dthis be an MOT fail? When I got the car from the dealer it had a brand new MOT.

#6 ·
Did you get any warranty with the car? - if you got 3 months, take it back.

#7 ·
Yes it did have 3 month warranty...on major parts I believe.

Not so easy to take back when dealer is 200 miles away from home though, and I am actually out in France with the car at the moment. Nevertheless, I will contact them and see if they can do anything.

#8 ·
Fair enough. I would think that they would understand and maybe give you permission to source another stalk and fit it? (assuming that is something that you feel able to do of course).

Its not the kind of fault that you make up is it, so it all depends on how trusting they are and how much they value their customer service feedback I guess.

Good luck.

#9 ·
When I got my mk1 the washer pump wasn't working, I found that one listed for a Rover 600 was a close fit and a 3rd of the price, I had to fettle the plug slightly but I think that may have been poor manufacturing tolerances and the pump is still fine after 6 years.

The full beam headlights flashing and staying on are both MOT requirements IIRC.

#10 ·
When you are driving on dipped beam and you pull the lever towards you, It flashes the headlights. If you pull it all the way you should feel a click as the main beam engages. Pull it all the way towards you again and the lights will dip. From your description you will be needing a new switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.