MG-Rover.org Forums banner

LED headlights TF

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  radion_auto 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wondering, has anyone tried H7 LED bulbs.
Something like this:
2x H7 100W 20 SMD LED Cree Projector Fog Driving DRL Light Bulb HID White 6000K | eBay

Just wondering, because the halogens get very hot. The other day I noticed that the wires to the H7 connector and the connector itself are suffering from the heat and getting brittle.

Cheers.
I have bought many LED bulbs from the far east for houshold use and found them to be a quality low cost item. Got to be worth a punt at a tenner!
Get some in and report back if they are any use, only down side I can think of using LED headlight bulbs against Halogen, providing that they can illuminate as good or if not better than the halogens, is that they may not burn away any moisture collected inside the light unit....a MOT failure if you are a picky tester! TF lights are known to get some moisture in, unless you are a dry weather driver!

Sundance

#15 ·
When looking at LED’s effectively you can’t compare the power consumption with light output in the same way as conventional lamps. Having said that the a quick look at the EU legislation for the H7 bulbs must emit between 1350 and 1650 lumens at 13.2v so at 1800 lumens suggests that they aren’t legal in the EU.

Oddly the listing does state that “This bulb may be not enough bright for headlight”. Looking at the datasheet for the Cree XB-D each LED consumes a maximum of 3 Watts giving a total in theory of a maximum of 60 Watts, although at that rate each LED in theory will emit 309LM. So the eBay listing is stating a higher wattage per LED but a lower LM. Perhaps whoever created the listing means 100W across the two lamps?

Overall I would stay clear.

#16 ·
I ordered a set, at that price its no big loss if it doesn't work as I'de like.
But I will check the amps it draws first with a multimeter to work out the real wattage. They should be here in about two weeks, I'll keep you posted. I won't risk ruining my electrics.

Btw, I found a data sheet on the XB-D SMD's and what I can work out is that it should draw 350mA per SMD. So a total of 7 A. Which in turn would mean 84W at 12V or about 90W at 13V.
Also the they should put out about 136 lumen, so in total I would expect 2720 lumen. That doesn't add up with what is stated in the ad.

#17 ·
These are nowhere near bright enough for headlight use. Retrofit led technology is just not ready for use with main beams yet. If this produced any decent light then it would have a huge heatsink in the back. Even then, it would still be rubbish as it would scatter the light everywhere instead of focusing it on the parts of the road you want to illuminate. Steer clear..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.