Manual to electric/heated door mirrors possible? - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 21:43 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
I presume you will take a test on the bench.

There is only one power connection going into header and from header you have three more green wires, two to mirrors and one to the switch. If you connected wires on the bench in same way, then only one connection from battery to green header should be fine.
Earth is somewhat different. In wiring diagram you have three ground connections. One to each mirror for heating elements in them and one to the switch. These are not connected together.
As i see it, if you want to test the motors in the mirrors you need to connect only ground/earth from the switch. On the other hand if you want to test heating elementa you need to connect earth from each from mirrors respectively.
The loom is now assembled in such a way that all lives (green) are all connected together at the 'juntion' between mirrors and switch as per picture earlier in thread here:

Manual to electric/heated door mirrors possible?

The two from RHS/LHS are joined at a spur/ that leads to the switch. I do remember that only two greens were cut from the donor cars header and in fact they were joined together with the switch live with a crimp and some tape. Had there been a separate live for the switch direct from the header, I'd have had three wires to cut, no?

As for the earth, pretty much the same. I did not cut from the header that was behind the passenger airbag blank, I cut them short before getting to the header. I have assembled the loom in the same fashion for the lives - the two earths from RHS/LHS join at a spur that also goes to the switch.

As my car will have no earth to the switch (as it only had manual mirrors) I assumed that by joining the earths from RHS/LHS with the switch would provide ground for the switch and all would be earthed at the relevant point in the car as earth is coming from the existing earth from my RHS/LHS heated mirrors.

Same goes for the live - fed from existing heated mirror wiring.

I don't have a bench to test, I was simply going to remove the battery and place it all on the garage floor. I was then going to tap in to both lives/earths from RHS/LHS and connect to the battery. My assumption being that as all lives/earths are joined, that would be fine.

Am I mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
If you have already finished everything, why dont you just plug the new loom into the car and test each mirror whilst holding them?

Whats the worst that can happen, blow a fuse?

At least you will be able to try the full range of movement with the switch.
No real reason, I guess. I just wanted to make sure that they work before installing them. Didn't really want to go the length of removing speedo, door panels, etc only to find they didn't work!

Maybe best to test before hand was my thought........oh, and the switch is just dangling on the switch end of the loom so I should be able to test full movement outside of the car without installing it all.

Last edited by steviejones133; 07-10-2016 at 21:48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:18
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Your description of connecting wires is fine. It should work.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 19:57 Thread Starter

Quote:
Your description of connecting wires is fine. It should work.
Thanks for that. Based on my wiring, I'll just be taking live/earth to the new assembly from each side of the existing manual heated mirrors live/earth. As all the lives/earths within my fabricated loom are interconnected to the switch, I thought that this would be fine, too.

When testing, I'll just splice into both RHS/LHS lives & earths and connect them respectively to the battery terminals. Earth and live to the switch should be provided by the interconnection within the loom itself, if I am right.

Gonna try and get some time Monday to test them out of the car in the garage and I'll report back!

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 14:28 Thread Starter

Update:

Houston, we have lift off!!!!!!

Got around to testing this morning and had a minor niggle - RHS mirror would only move up/down and not left/right. LHS worked just fine. I could hear the motor of the RHS mirror working when being moved left/right so I decided to dismantle it and have a butchers at the workings.....part of me thinking it'd need a new motor.

Anyway, as it turned out, there are two motors and a couple of small plastic 'lifters' that go up and down on the cog end of each motor. The other end of each lifter fitted into a ball joint type socket on the plastic housing of the motor body itself.

The ball joint for the left/right was not sat in it's socket, so whilst the motor was moving the lifter up and down to move the mirror left/right, it wasn't actually moving the cradle that the mirror is attached to.

With a bit of fiddling, got the ball joint back in its socket and tested - hey presto - fully working.

Now just got to fit the loom, whip off the old door mirrors and fit the new ones. Whilst I'm at it, I'll also be replacing my door handles with colour coded ones bought and refurbished several weeks back.

Very happy camper right now.....
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 16:45
Rover Lifestyle

Great news of excellent progress!
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 17:26
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Very happy camper right now.....
Good job that man, well done.

ps, I've never actually met a genuinly happy camper - only ones that were pretending that theyu were having a good time whilst being damp, cold and/or on the 100 yard treck through damp grass to the toilet block...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 20:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Great news of excellent progress!
Thanks, and thank you for all your help on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Good job that man, well done.

ps, I've never actually met a genuinly happy camper - only ones that were pretending that theyu were having a good time whilst being damp, cold and/or on the 100 yard treck through damp grass to the toilet block...
Cheers Ian. Maybe I should rephrase......happy GLAMper (at least that way I don't have to cope with the pain of actually camping!)
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 20:19 Thread Starter

Today brought about some free time and I've managed to get the loom installed and the wing mirrors. I cut the plug off the end of each of my manual heated mirrors (green/black) and spliced & crimped them into my fabricated loom. Reassembled everything and connected the battery and.......bingo! - all working as should....RHS/LHS up, down, left & right all operating as intended. I dunno why I thought it would be possible to feed the plug through the rubber door grommet, but it would not go - ended up having to cut and feed wires through the door into the body and then rejoin up with crimps...unexpected, but I should have known better from when I had to remove the loom from the donor scrapyard car......I had to cut the grommet off to get the complete loom out......

I was going to do the colour coded door handles whilst I had the door cards off but light stopped play - still, a job for another day and I'm just very pleased that finally I have colour coded electrically adjustable heated wing mirrors!

Jobs a good 'un
Talkingcars likes this.

Last edited by steviejones133; 13-10-2016 at 20:25.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 14-10-2016, 04:01
Rover Lifestyle

Excellent!
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 14-10-2016, 19:59 Thread Starter

Finished off Today with fitting my colour coded door handles to match the wing mirrors and side air scoops that were all plain black before - must say, looks very nice for them to be all the same.

I guess that's about it for this thread, my work here is done (as they say) but thanks to everyone who contributed and helped me with advice etc.

Cheers,
Steve.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 14-10-2016, 20:09
Rover Lifestyle

But, whete are the pictures, at least only one?

I would love to see it finaly....

Last edited by Roverlike; 14-10-2016 at 20:20.
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 14-10-2016, 21:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
But, whete are the pictures, at least only one?

I would love to see it finaly....
Okay, I'll pop some off tomorrow and post them up. I didn't take any 'during' shots but I can do 'before and after" pics.......
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 20:26 Thread Starter

Okay, so for those that wanted to see some pics, here is some wing mirror & door handle shots after I upgraded - first pic is a before shot with matte black plastic mirrors & handles - personally, I think they make a world of difference. I'd already sourced and fitted the colour coded side air intake vents so now it's all complete...well, apart from trying to source a trophy boot spoiler and front splitter..............

And here are the after shots:

Last edited by steviejones133; 16-10-2016 at 20:36.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 04:23
Rover Lifestyle

Yes, they do make a lot of difference. Excellent! Thank you for the pictures.
steviejones133 likes this.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 10:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, they do make a lot of difference. Excellent! Thank you for the pictures.
You're welcome, least I could do for all your help.