MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MEMS 2 to MEMS 3 Upgrade

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Carl 
#1 ·
Guys is it a big task to change from a MEMS 2 to a MEMS 3 ?

#3 · (Edited)
I'm due to carry out this upgrade late January/ early Feb with the help of a very talented friend of mine.

He's managed to make a bespoke loom that will allow the swap without having to change the alternator The key is getting the loom made as it cuts down on the amount of changes required I will have to change some sensors and the inlet plenum, not to sure about the coil packs yet though.

I'll take some photos and try and pull together a legable how to for fitting.

I'm hoping to fit my MS bell crank and my lowering knuckles the same day so hopefully it wont take too long...fingers crossed

#5 ·
I believe its not required as the trophys ran mems 3 but didnt have that sensor...I guess I'll find out when my mate arrives with all the bits. He's managed to fit a ZT turbo engine in a ZS and build a 200 + BHP F running ITBs as well as a fun Metro VVC and fitted a certain member on heres rover 45 with a 160 VVC conversion so I think this swap will be a piece of **** for him...here's hoping! :)

#9 ·
MEMS 3 will happily run the MEMS2J coilpack and MEMS2J will run the later plugtop coilpacks witout any problems.

The MEMS3 engine ECU can be matched to the existing 5AS alarm ECU or the MEMS3 ECU can be modified to remove the immobiliser requirement.

The only problem with this swap is if you want to retain aircon, the way that both ECU's control the aircon is very different this was the reason why I stopped my MEMS3 experiment....

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=364712

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.