MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Mg tf 160

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  jubilee 
#1 ·
Hi, A long story but managed to bend valves etc. during a strip down and rebuild following a HGF. Not sure what I did wrong but now trying to salvage the engine. I need to change two pistons and :frown:liners any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
When you get replacement pistons those for the 160 are different to lower power model pistons. They are marked (stamped) '160' on the piston tops. Not sure if the liners differ though.

I have a genuine 160 block with 3 good pistons and liners with crankshaft available if it's any use. Must be collect from Exeter (M5, J29)

#3 ·
Thats a very generous offer - top man!

I will already be on the road if I was the OP

#5 ·
Yes, but it's very heavy and I wouldn't know how to parcel it up!

I could remove the pistons/liners and send you two?

I'll then take the block and other parts not wanted for scrap value unless anyone else wants it. I also have a vvc head but that is heavily indented around the cylinders so probably not worth reusing.

I bought the block about 4 years ago for spares for my own 160 engine that had suffered a broken cambelt - 10 bent valves but no other damage found on disassembly. My engine is rebuilt but hasn't made it back into the car yet due to other more pressing house moving and house renovation projects, oh... and an MG RV8! The spare block moved house with us two years ago (as did the rebuilt engine and the TF 'without') and is just sitting under a cover in the corner of the garage.

#6 ·
That would be great. If you would remove the pistons and liners that would be very helpful. I assume you would keep the pistons in the liners and the con rods with them? (Sorry if I am teaching my grannie....) I understand fitting con rods is not for the faint hearted! Let me know when you ready and I will send you my address and cover any costs you incur. By the way I would be happy to take the three as I have had the head returned today with the workshop telling me they replaced 12 bent valves so I am assuming it maybe three pistons damaged. Thanks again.

#7 ·
Just a thought: are you sutr the pistons are damaged? Normally the weaker part i.e. the valves bear the brunt.

Ofd course with the head removed any damage should to the piston crowns will be obvious. I would be interested to see a photo of the piston damage caused by the valves - just out of curiosity really.

Make sure that you take the opportunity to decoke the pistons while you are in there. And if you do fit new pistons and liners, you might as well check ring gaps, ring grooves for gunk etc

Of course you will also need to reseal the liners in the block and set and check their heights too.

Good luck.

ps have you worked out what went wrong last time yet - you dont want the same mistake happening again...

#9 ·
I am not sure how to attach images on this reply but for info the head of a valve is embedded into the top of the piston in number 1 and the top of the piston in number 3 is badly marked from trying to compress the remains of the valve head from number 3. Number 2 is marked. I just don't want to put all back together and then have a piston fail. At this stage I am still unsure as to the cause. Timing is the obvious but would the car have started if the timing was incorrectly set? I couldn't put the engine back on to the timing marks to check as the engine would not turn with the parts of the valves preventing it turning. The only thing I know is the throttle was three quarters open so when she fired up she went straight up to high revs, could this have caused it?
I plan to slowly and methodically put it back together and the guy from the engine reconditioning workshop has said he will come an view it at various stages during re-assembly and then again before i start it up! Wish me luck!

#10 ·
Tipper MG I tried to send you a message but your mailbox is full so would not accept a PM hence this message I have sent you a couple of messages but unsure as to whether you received them so hence this one.
Unfortunately I plan if possible to use the TF on a 5 day Tour of Athlone with the local MGOC during first week of Sept.
I will try and source pistons and let you know if I am successful with the rebuild. Meanwhile I really do appreciate your offer and sorry it did not work out,

Kind Regards

Sam

#12 ·
Seems a long time ago sine I started this thread but I have now managed to put the car together again with new pistons, liners, shell ends and all the HGF related items. I started the car today and it is VERY nosiey. I have been told this is the tappets before they eventually fill up again with oil but even after a mile of a drive I gave up as it sounded more than tappets. Any ideas welcome!

#13 ·
We're going to need a bit more than that to go on I am afraid.

Can you upload a video clip?

#14 ·
Yes I appreciate that more information is needed but I am having difficulties getting the engine to run. The noise appears to be coming from the VVC hydraulic control unit but the car does seem to be off a cylinder as well. Is the unit removable without removing the head and is there any pit falls associated with removing it?

#16 ·
It may seem like a silly question but did you make sure you timed everything properly?
I did a HG replacement on my VVC a year or so ago and managed to put the timing 180 degrees out!!!
I can't remember if it was the vvc side or the normal side - I think I've mentally blocked it out.
Unbelievably, no valves - or anything else was damaged but the car ran like a complete pig!
The engine sounded like a jack-hammer.

#17 ·
I thought an update was overdue. In summary, I had rebuilt the original engine with new liners and new pistons but had this noise which I could not confidently establish the cause of. It did appear to come from the VVC unit perhaps this got damaged during the bent valve sequence so decided to replace the engine. Managed to complete this shortly before Christmas. Still early days yet as I have only covered around 100 miles to date. I now have the original engine stripped with the head sent to local MG workshop for investigation and a block sitting with new pistons and liners. To salvage some cost I would be prepared to sell the pistons and liners if anyone interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.