Mg tf ecu - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 13:03 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
Mg tf ecu

Hi everyone just a bit of history of where i'm at. I have a 2005 mg tf 120 which i got last October from a good friends parents it only has 19k miles on it but in 2010 a mechanic done some welding on the exhaust which ended up blowing the engine ecu and alternator. There was a bitter row and claims that ended up in the car not being repaired. It sat for a while and the engine was sold for a donor to a freelander with hgf. Over the winter i have fitted a 135 lotus elise engine which is brand new with only delivery mileage i have matched the inlet ports to a 160 vvc alloy inlet manifold and put on a janspeed exhaust manifold and pipe still with cat. So im ready to go but the ecu is the hicup obviously it is a 120 ecu for a start and 2nd it's damaged i've dismantled it to see if it could be rpaird but with several burned out tracks and the main chip is dead so cant read any data from it. Yesterday i got hold of two 2005 mems 3 ecu's from 1.8 freelanders at a bargin price of 5 for the pair now i know i can't use these as they are because of the imobilizer and the maps will be wrong i'm sending one to Z&F next week but just wondered if anyone has a standard or modified 135 bin file with the emobilizer removed so i can write it to one of them getting impaitient to get it started now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 15:52

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
It depends which alarm you have fitted, if it is the earlier Lucas (square) fob it is easy to match alarm to engine ECU, if it is the later Pektron (round) fob it is harder to match.

The 135 will run ok with a 120 ECU.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 16:18

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
2005 I'd assume would be a 135 not the 120 as the 120's were the Mk1/2 mgf's also it would have the Pektron alarm system. I realise you've got the ecu's cheap, but to be honest, to get them remapped it would have been cheaper to get a full set (ECU, etc.) from fleabay, you can usually pick up a 135 ecu with the pektron units and fobs for around 20 - 35.

Sorry, can't help you with the bin file

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 16:49 Thread Starter

Yes it would run ok but the original ecu is dead and the freelander uses a returnless fuel system and much smaller injectors but higher fuel pressure. I was just being impatient. But ive just downloaded a free run ZR bin file and uploaded it to one of the ecu's and it's running I had to cut the imobilizer hand shake wire and starts every time. Yippee not going to drive it till I get the other ecu back from Z & F. Thanks Guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 18:48
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
2005 I'd assume would be a 135 not the 120 as the 120's were the Mk1/2 mgf's also it would have the Pektron alarm system. I realise you've got the ecu's cheap, but to be honest, to get them remapped it would have been cheaper to get a full set (ECU, etc.) from fleabay, you can usually pick up a 135 ecu with the pektron units and fobs for around 20 - 35.

Sorry, can't help you with the bin file
Unless the TF has the auto box as the 120 engine as it was considered the 135 would have been too much for the gearbox
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 20:28 Thread Starter

Hi Chris T yes its a bit of a funny one as this TF was a 120 from new with a 5 speed manual gearbox I even have all the paperwork from the dealership. The engine that was taken from it is still in the freelander it was fitted to and I have checked and it is Definitely a 120? Anyhow its a 135 now and running if a little lean i think the map I loaded maybe for a 1.4 or 1.6 ZR and the fuel trims in closed loop at +7 to +9. At least i can get it down for an mot in the week and then get the Z & F tuned ecu in after. Thanks again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 21:59

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Si View Post
......I had to cut the imobilizer hand shake wire..........
Can you pmail me the details of how to do this please.