MG TF wondering at high speed - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sundanceuk
  • 1 Post By skellum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 15:47 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
MG TF wondering at high speed

If I go above 100-120km/h on the freeway I find that my 2002 MG TF 160 wonders on the road. I did a 900km round trip recently, and there is definitely play in the steering at high speed. It almost feels like the car needs more weight in the front.

Is this just from worn bushes? I replaced my rear tyres recently and had alignment and balancing done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 16:49
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
Does your car have a spare wheel?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post
If I go above 100-120km/h on the freeway I find that my 2002 MG TF 160 wonders on the road. I did a 900km round trip recently, and there is definitely play in the steering at high speed. It almost feels like the car needs more weight in the front.

Is this just from worn bushes? I replaced my rear tyres recently and had alignment and balancing done.
I have the same issue, I don't know if it is factual or just my perception. In my case I have a spare wheel and the car sits low so air lift should be less pronounced. Garage is looking into it. Interested on the replies here as I am about to do a 1000 miles trip to France end of the month.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 17:29

Car: MG ZS
The F has positive lift on the front at high speed ~+70mph (it's ok, we know you go faster)

The TF has a modified front spoiler to reduce this but it still exists if only marginally above a zero degree of front lift.

Personally on the TF I haven't noticed this below 85mph.

Other possibilities that have NOTHING to do with the front lift spoiler issue are:

Strong cross winds
Knackered dampers
Knackered track rod ends
Bad tyre pressure
Knackered wheel bearings
Brake binding
Poor steering alignment.
Homeless person stuck under your car being dragged along causing random friction with the road.

Also magic/god being a dick.

Check those off before resorting to any expensive drastic measures like a front splitter or anything like that.

The TF is still an old car and suffers from breaking down parts like any other car over 13 years old.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 17:29

Location: Originally from Bath UK, now Meggen, Lucerne Switzerland
Car: MGF VVC and Audi A6 3.0 ltr Quattro Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post

In my experience it does wAnder without some weight in the front above 120 km/h. The Trophy skirt makes an improvement.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 18:14 Thread Starter

Yeah, got the spare wheel in front.

Tyre pressure and wheel alignment is good 1.8 bar in front, 2.5 at the rear. So I guess it must be wear on the front suspension. Track rod ends, dampers or bushes as nick1981 pointed to.

Definitely feels like the front needs more weight which can't be right. Will have to take it in and get it checked.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 19:04
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
On a good smooth even road mine drives like a dream, on an uneven road where the road camber varies and parts have sunk etc, mine feels like the road actually guides the wheels and you can virtually feel the steering trying to shift one way or another. A bit like the EPAS is responding to the load on the steering at the rack end and not on the steering wheel side. This is at lower speeds though say 30-50 mph
I have fitted another rack and its still the same and also checked the EPAS is correctly calibrated. Four wheel alignment says its pretty much bob on and the subframes are true.
New TRE's went on with the rack and the front hubs are new with new upper ball joints. All front bushes are new, including the wishbones and there are also new droplinks.
Like I said its just on the uneven surfaces where the steering is over sensitive, like the EPAS needs dialing down a bit!
When it was MOT'd the examiner said everything was perfect!
I am stumped to find whats at fault and I can never remember my old TF which I had for 12 years doing the same.

Sundance
Incony likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 17:08

On the straights, or in the corners?
Mine had a feeling of wanting to wander in the bends which I thought was tyres, then realised it was only left-handers.
Worn ball joint on one side.
Mikeadman likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 18:11

Car: 1971Triumph TR6, 2006Jaguar X Type 2.5 AWD, 2008 Volvo C70
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
On the straights, or in the corners?
Mine had a feeling of wanting to wander in the bends which I thought was tyres, then realised it was only left-handers.
Worn ball joint on one side.
I admire your honesty.

Cheers

Mike.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:13

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
On a good smooth even road mine drives like a dream, on an uneven road where the road camber varies and parts have sunk etc, mine feels like the road actually guides the wheels and you can virtually feel the steering trying to shift one way or another. A bit like the EPAS is responding to the load on the steering at the rack end and not on the steering wheel side. This is at lower speeds though say 30-50 mph
I have fitted another rack and its still the same and also checked the EPAS is correctly calibrated. Four wheel alignment says its pretty much bob on and the subframes are true.
New TRE's went on with the rack and the front hubs are new with new upper ball joints. All front bushes are new, including the wishbones and there are also new droplinks.
Like I said its just on the uneven surfaces where the steering is over sensitive, like the EPAS needs dialing down a bit!
When it was MOT'd the examiner said everything was perfect!
I am stumped to find whats at fault and I can never remember my old TF which I had for 12 years doing the same.

Sundance
i dont want to spike the tyre war... but i will say that tyre pressure and type - is an interesting thing to play with...regarding tramlining and furrow following.. just because everyone says that 1. 8 bar on the front - is the right pressure, and even MGF said it.. doesnt make it the only pressure to choose..

i say that because my Trophy had a very slow leak in both rear tyres,, and if anything the car stability was better under 2 bar.. i am going to play with slightly lower pressures on the new tyres now on my Freestyle...

i do a 44 mile commute each way... on A and B roads, seldom do i reach 70mph though... and my intention is to see what happens if ii alter the pressure bias.. over time...to achieve the result that fits my driving style...

i think thats the important thing... just as important as safety, is how one feels at putting it into practice. What is great for me.. might be totally bad for you.

IE.. Just because everything is "A1" doesnt mean you are... your the bit that has to fit it, to make the 1 complete
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:29
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incony View Post
i dont want to spike the tyre war... but i will say that tyre pressure and type - is an interesting thing to play with...regarding tramlining and furrow following.. just because everyone says that 1. 8 bar on the front - is the right pressure, and even MGF said it.. doesnt make it the only pressure to choose..

i say that because my Trophy had a very slow leak in both rear tyres,, and if anything the car stability was better under 2 bar.. i am going to play with slightly lower pressures on the new tyres now on my Freestyle...

i do a 44 mile commute each way... on A and B roads, seldom do i reach 70mph though... and my intention is to see what happens if ii alter the pressure bias.. over time...to achieve the result that fits my driving style...

i think thats the important thing... just as important as safety, is how one feels at putting it into practice. What is great for me.. might be totally bad for you.

IE.. Just because everything is "A1" doesnt mean you are... your the bit that has to fit it, to make the 1 complete
I did replace the new Toyo's I put on with Falkens and that made a BIG improvement, but I still have the slight wander on my steering but only on uneven roads where the road camber on each wheel is a bit different. Maybe its just my TF wanting to tramline its way to a natural steering angle depending on road conditions, and the roads in Staffordshire where I live are some of the worst in the UK.
On a nice smooth even road, its drives great, I really noticed a difference when I drove over to Whitchurch last year. The Shropshire tarmac is sooooo much better!

Sundance
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 13:07

Car: TF 160 Sprint LE + MG RV8 + ZR 160
Don't discount wear on either the rear suspension or rear wheel bearings. Either or indeed both together can upset stability at speed.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 14:12

Car: MGF
Mine without doubt improved with the trophy splitter. I bought a second F without one and drove it twice at speed and immediately slowed up! same car a week later with splitter was a dream on the same road.