MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG TF160.Can i fit brake servo brace to 04 plate.

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  BRG Norm 
#1 ·
Whilst doing uprated suspension work to my track-day MG TF160 I asked my mate to see if my brake servo was flexing as I had seen the stiffening bracket for sale ages ago, but never got round to looking any further into it.
How do I know if my car is suitable as I couldn't believe how much mine flexed. And how long a job is it to fit as i'm "on track" on Sunday.

Cheers in advance,Robin.

#2 · (Edited)
It is easier to fit to an 04 TF than earlier build cars due to the plastic 'snorkel' heater inlet above the servo rather than the older steel inlet, so yes it will fit.

I found it easier too if the corners, that's the two upper corners adjacent to the servo, are rounded on the bracket so the bracket can be 'rolled' round into position. This reduces the number of bolts to fiddle with to fit it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I was going to buy one but looking at your photo and photo of the bracket I might just make my own. ( I am a trained welder )
And it has the 305mm AP brakes on the TF160. I assumed the rear brakes were pretty good too. I am going to change to braided hoses at some later date,but still haven't found the limit of the brakes yet. They are awesome as they are even with road pads and standard non drilled/grroved discs.

#5 ·
MGR didn't upgrade the rear brakes when they fitted the 4-pot big brakes to the front of the MGF Trophy 160 and TF 160 models. This means that the brake balance is probably not optimal although a pressure restrictor was fitted to all cars without ABS but not on cars with it.

It is generally considered by many that the rear brakes should be increased to 280 mm (from the measly 240 mm brakes) to improve braking and balance where a car is fitted with 304 mm front brakes.

MGFMania sell a good kit to do this. Others also sell this mod.

#8 ·
£200 for 2 brackets and 2 brake discs!!!!!!! Do normal front discs fit,surely they are only about £30 a pair for non-vented discs,or are they specially sourced or adapted??

And if getting to nuts is such a tussle is there room to make a backing plate with 3 nuts tack welded in position?

Rob.

#13 · (Edited)
I couldn't find anything about this guy on-line Steve,but thanks for the thought. I would really rather put drilled/grooved discs on whilst doing it. Will just try and find some 280mm discs with 4 holes in,even if they are the wrong P.C.D. as I can re-drill them at work,and make my own adaptor plates. I like doing jobs myself,saves me money and just feels better knowing its your own handy work. Or maybe its just the Yorkshire man in me being tight :wink:

Oh,and I made the servo brace myself,took longer to get the old seriously corroded bolts undone than it did to make the bracket. 2 hours total time including manufacture,painting and fitting. :grin:

#18 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have a look at the pedal reinforcing Titanium,i hadn't heard of that before.
On my brace I did away with the pointless "shouldered" M6 bolts and just put M10 bolts through the 10mm holes in bulkhead and snorkel.

I will look further into the discs Steve_G. I can take my time now track day is done,need to save up for next one ;o)

I did manage to shave something like 4 seconds off my lap time,just by looking at GoPro footage of some laps,so the brace along with new suspension seems to be working. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.