MGF 2000 head gasket replacement - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 17:02 Thread Starter

Car: CityRover
MGF 2000 head gasket replacement

With my MGF being layed up for some time on SORN and left with suspected head gasket failure, I intend to replace the head gasket before putting the car back on the road again. Having previously had a genuine land Rover multi layer gasket fitted with the bonded shim I intend to leave the shim bonded in place, if on inspection it looks OK, but fit the upgraded Payen gasket instead in combination with the existing bonded Land rover shim. Any one have any experience of this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 18:32

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
Mixing two possibly different makes of headgasket kits cant be a good thing, especially if one of the components is used. You'd be asking for trouble.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 19:01
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
With my MGF being layed up for some time on SORN and left with suspected head gasket failure, I intend to replace the head gasket before putting the car back on the road again. Having previously had a genuine land Rover multi layer gasket fitted with the bonded shim I intend to leave the shim bonded in place, if on inspection it looks OK, but fit the upgraded Payen gasket instead in combination with the existing bonded Land rover shim. Any one have any experience of this situation?
Please don't do that, you will be back under the inspection hatch again in less than 500 miles if you do...

Do the job right with the right parts and do it once.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 21:09

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
I have a MY 2000 1.8i got the Rover Multi layer but replaced with the stronger bottom oil rail as well, new bolts that was 2010 and no problems since, no coolant goes missing, she not burning oil. So I would highly recommend the multi-layer but do the uprated bottom rail.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 22:17

Car: TF 160 Sprint LE + MG RV8 + ZR 160
I went for the latest 'N' series gasket from DMGRS. Seemed to work well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 16:43

Car: mgtf160
I put a race gasket on mine as the fire rings are thicker and was also told the oil rail was just a gimmick I have done 35k mls no problems as such
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 19:40
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbyman View Post
I put a race gasket on mine as the fire rings are thicker and was also told the oil rail was just a gimmick I have done 35k mls no problems as such

Race gasket? Tell me more. Agree about the oil rail.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 17:04

Car: mgtf160
Hi When I had my head done by SABRA HEADS he supplied it
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 23:45

I think there was a 3 or 4 year period where Rog at Sabre Heads recommended using a Raceline head gasket with the K series.

I used one of them too for a number of years on a well abused track car with no issues so I was happy with it too......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 06:26
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
A bit more detail can be found here: Raceline

£155 + VAT (£186) for a K Series 1.8 head gasket though?! - I think I would want to see a bit more than a few words on a website though before I even considered spending that much money...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 21:21

I fitted a genuine original head gasket with a head saver shim. I bonded the shim to the head using heat dispersant copper spray and fitted new metal locator dowels. I did it 2 years ago and have had no problems. I bought the head saver shim from a UK company and they told me it is reusable as it is a shim and not designed as a compressible component. The method of using copper bond to stick a head saver to the head is used in American Drag racing and is a tried and tested method that works better than just the head gasket, apparently. The cost of getting the Copper spray and head saver shim makes the job more expensive but I thought worth a try considering the head and the block are alloy and are prone to warping and distorting due the soft nature of the metal.
Give it a ago what's the worst that will happen ? If you are capable of doing the head gasket yourself you might have to do it twice.. By the way the head gasket might be the least of your worries but you won't know until the head is off..

Just so you know, when I took the head off my 1.8i I found the liners uneven, the block pitted and the head warped and softened so the engine is strictly scrap but Interestingly I took the head to an engineering company to be tested and they told me they could try and fix it but it was most likely scrap but when I got the head home I checked for warping and couldn't find any which is why I refitted it with the head saver shim just to give it a go.. All seems good so far, it's gone through 2 MOTs' so I'm happy with it.