Right then! The biggest job of all that I have on the cards for sorting the F out was the wheels, as you can see from the following pics, they were well and truly corroded.
I must get an award for the amount of wheel weights on this one.....
First, I gave all the wheels a good wash and scrub with Autoglyms machine cleaner, which got rid of the bulk of the dirt. Upon inspection, I could see that the paint on the inner face of the rim was pretty none existent. What little paint there was there flaked off when prodded with a fingernail.
I used a drill fitted with a wire rotary bit and numerous grades of sandpaper. What I'll say at this point is that if your wheels are corroded as badly as mine, take it to a pro and pay £40 a wheel as when they're in this kind of state you'll spend hours bent double grinding and sanding away. I ached for days after this! If you have a multi-tool like a dremel, it makes the detail parts a whole lot easier, particularly if you've got the proper mini sanding drums.
If you are a total mug and you carry on doing it, an easy way to mask up is to drop the wheels in a bin bag, then cut a circle out and mask up around the alloy, it saves no end of time. Don't forget to mask the rear face of the wheel where it mates to the hub. You don't want this surface to have paint on it.
I used a small tube of P38 filler to take out the worst of the defects and blemishes, and then sanded it back down. Three coats of high build primer and they begin to look like championship white alloys you'd find on a type-r......
Then came two coats of Plastikote's super bright Argent Silver paint. I'm pretty sure you'll agree that the finish is amazing considering it came from a can.
But trouble was around the corner, you cannot laquer this paint. I left it for three days to dry but when I went to laquer, it it just mottled and reacted like I'd poured sulphuric acid on it!!! So, totally gutted and irritated I just used up a can of Ford Moondust Silver I had lying about in the garage. This laquered up with no problems and the wheels looked just like a new set, but nowhere near the shine that I'd managed with the original plastikote spray.
Then applied some Ø50mm badges I'd got from ebay as the ones in the centres were knackered and bubbled...
And added some shiny valve caps (ebay - £1.99). As an aside, drop some copperslip on these type of caps, as ali and steel will meld and if you don't take the caps off for six months then you'll find yourself having to cut them off. Bitter personal experience there. There's some patches on the rear inner face of the rim that really aren't up to stratch. This is why I think that if your alloys are really bad, get a pro to do it as you just can't see the damage until it's sprayed and finished.
And here's the finished article. For the princely sum of £28 I'm rather pleased! To be honest theres some damage that I missed and my sanding of the filler leaves a bit to be desired by a pro, but on the face of it, they're ten times better than before. I'm just gutted that I couldn't make the bright finish stick.