MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MGF Toyo Tyres

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  barkingdog 
#1 ·
Just had a brand new set of Toyo tyres fitted on my refurbished rims today. Wow! What a difference, amazing stability and on rails round corners. Steering feels more direct and responsive. I went for standard set up on my 15" wheels, 185 / 55 up front with 205 / 50 rears. Must opt for ones made in Japan, much superior to the Malaysian ones, even though they have the same number, but different compound.

#2 ·
Toyo's

Just had a new set all round, but had to have the rears replaced as I was running Malay on the front and Jap on the rear. My Tyre fitter had a new set sent over by Toyo as I complained that you cannot mix the two, and after a quick call to the Toyo wholesaler, they confirmed it and sent the replacements. Only trouble is they could not get Jap for the front, so I am now running Malaysian Toyo's all round.
I agree they don't seem to have the same handling as the Japanese ones, but now I have them, will give them a good try and see how it goes.
Toyo must be more than well aware that the new compound is inferior to the old recipe, but the tyres must still have passed all safety tests and checks to be sold in Europe. See how they will behave once we get some good dry conditions. They seem to hold ok in the wet, but I don't have the confidence in them as my old Japanese Tr1's

Sundance

#3 ·
Toyo are very aware of the handling issues on SOME MGTFs.
I does not affect them all (I don't know why, its not a model year or engine size thing) & as far as I'm aware only 16" tyres.

I have had serious handling issues with my 2005 TF160 after fitting Malaysian Toyo T1R & have had lots of emails between myself & the Technical Director of Toyo trying to resolve it. In the end I removed them & fitted Falken ZE 914 & the handling returned instantly.

Toyo confirmed they were aware of the issue on SOME TFs & that all Toyo T1r are now made of the new compound regardless of weather they are made in Japan or Malaysia.

As far as I know the MGF is not affected only the TF with 16" wheels. Personally I believe there is a weakness in the rear tyre side wall causing too much flex which gives the unstable handling.

#8 ·
i have malaysian proxes on the back and japanese on the front. don't know the dates of the malaysian ones off the top of my head, but the japanese tyres were manufactured in nov 14 and feb 15 (so the newer compound) and my handling and grip is excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.