MGF VVC weird noise after cam belt change...HELP! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 13:24 Thread Starter

MGF VVC weird noise after cam belt change...HELP!

Recently I had my MGF serviced at 60K. Servicing included, cam belts and tensioners change, HGF fix, water tank cap replaced, water pump change, suspension height adjustment, the lot. Ever since, the fist time I start up the engine from cold it makes a normal sound, but once it gets warm if you start it up again you hear this rattling noise (coming from the engine) the moment it fires up. Also can hear this ticking/rattling noise between 2000 to 4000 revs roughly. Could the cam belt tensioners be associated with these symptoms if were not replaced properly?Any ideas for possible causes from you experts please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 13:59

Car: MGF
I sometime notice a little rattle simular to your explination! and mines just had its 60K service, so they told me when i bought it!im on 64k now i think!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 20:17

Car: Other Manufacturer
The VVC had a recall for a check on loose cambolts, if they come out the engine will have to be re-built!!!!!

Check the cam wheel centre bolts, easy to check. Take the engine access panel off and the cam covers and check the bolts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:24 Thread Starter

Ooops that rings a bell! Could you please describe it in a bit more detail, as I really want to check this! If the bolts are loose can I tight them myself or need to take it to the dealers? Any photos would really help! Thanks in advance!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 12:09

Car: Other Manufacturer
A trip to the dealers would be easiest!!

But if you do it yourself;

Unclip the hood at the back (around the bottom of the rear screen) (6 clips, they are behind the carpet/insulation), lift up the rear of the hood, remove the carpet/insulation together. Unbolt the engine access panel, take it off. Then remove the cambelt black plastic cover - by unscrewing a series of small black bolts, and the other end which is smaller. It was the inlet cam which had the recall for the check. The one to the back of the engine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 13:15 Thread Starter

Really want to check that myself! I've been to the dealers already, and they claim that they've checked alright, which I doubt, cause the hood was not unclipped (you see I've put a mark, just to know...). I'm quite familiar with opening the hood, releasing the engine top, blah blah. So how can I check if the bolts are loose , and can I tight'em meself? Ta@!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 13:35
Stu
Administrator

Car: Merc E250 Convertible + Alfa Mito Turbo
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Stu Send a message via Skype™ to Stu
Remove the plastic covers on either side of the engine. Once removed you will see a bolt through the centre of each pulley wheel.

Stu

Get cash back on your Insurance and many other web purchases through Quidco
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 14:05 Thread Starter

OK! Is it safe to try to tight'em with a spanner if they are loose? Anything that need to be careful of? Thanx
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 20:45
Stu
Administrator

Car: Merc E250 Convertible + Alfa Mito Turbo
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Stu Send a message via Skype™ to Stu
They need to be torqued correctly. Not sure what it should be. I would check if they are loose. If they are, contact your local dealer and don't drive the car.

Stu

Get cash back on your Insurance and many other web purchases through Quidco