MGTF 160 Adjustable suspension. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 Thread Starter

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
MGTF 160 Adjustable suspension.

I am looking at replacing the standard stuff on my TF with some adjustable suspension for predominantly Track-day use.
Has anyone else fitted Spax or Bilstein adjustable shocks?
I have seen the Spax and Eibach spring combined kits at Rimmer Bros for 590,or Mike Satur Spax and 25mm lowering springs for 600. Is that about the best deals available?
Also is the stiffer anti-roll bar from the 85th Anniversary edition TF worth fitting as I experienced rather a lot of body roll on my 1 and only track-day so far.
Hope to here from some helpful soul soon as I have another outing planned at Blyton Park in 6 weeks time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 10:49 Thread Starter

No one??
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 12:45
Supporter

Car: MG TF
I fitted Biksteins but they can't be adjusted when on the car.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 13:21

I had the Bilstein/Eibach(Xpower)/85th anti-roll bars combo fitted and apart from the fact that the Bilstein are not adjustable when on the car (you can select the height before fitting them in low/medium/high settings) I can vouch for them if you like a hard ride (which I do). The anti-roll bars are definitely well worth it. Be warned that before fitting the XPower springs I used to think that the roads in London are great. After fitting them I think they are ****. The car really tracks the road, every groove, pothole, uneven surface etc. Speed bumps : I slow down to 5mph in 1st for every single one of them.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 21:22

Car: 2002 MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
I had the Bilstein/Eibach(Xpower)/85th anti-roll bars combo fitted and apart from the fact that the Bilstein are not adjustable when on the car (you can select the height before fitting them in low/medium/high settings) I can vouch for them if you like a hard ride (which I do). The anti-roll bars are definitely well worth it. Be warned that before fitting the XPower springs I used to think that the roads in London are great. After fitting them I think they are ****. The car really tracks the road, every groove, pothole, uneven surface etc. Speed bumps : I slow down to 5mph in 1st for every single one of them.
I have the very same combo and it is too hard... I would stick to it but changing the Springs for OEM ones... (Still in my to do list...)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 10:57

Car: MG TF 160 SPRINT
I have SPAX and lowered springs and would say the ride has improved (even more so with a set of new Falkens). I went straight to this setup and didn't run the SPAX with OEM height springs so don't know if that would be better or not. It can be a bit of a pain on lowered springs with traffic calming etc - it is surprising how much difference lowering just 25mm makes! But I like the look and will stick with it for now - I just avoid speed bumps where I can. The SPAX are adjustable for firmness (?) of the ride and have 30 settings. I run on 18 on the back and 12 on the front but wind them up to the max for trackdays.

Enjoy Blyton Park - I did

Last edited by Ian_R; 19-02-2017 at 11:04.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 09:09 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Were the uprated anti-roll bars just one at the front nick1981,or are there separate ones at the rear also?

When you say lowering springs Ian_R ,are they the ones from Rimmer Bros? There are 12mm lower ones rather than 25mm,did you wish you had gone for those? Did you also have to buy the shaped bushes/spacers to go with the Spax shocks but aren't included?

And I'm not worried about speed bumps round here,i'm a country bumpkin with pot-holes the size of my TF, I just have to be very vigilant when driving already.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
When you say lowering springs Ian_R ,are they the ones from Rimmer Bros? There are 12mm lower ones rather than 25mm,did you wish you had gone for those? Did you also have to buy the shaped bushes/spacers to go with the Spax shocks but aren't included?
Mine are H&R springs. Aesthetically they look great just a bit inconvenient at times! Are you sure the Rimmers option is only 12mm? I looked at these http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RP1173XP - and they claim a 20-25mm drop.

You will definitely need the spacers otherwise the dampers move on the lower damper bolts.

I think the advantage of the SPAX dampers is that you can adjust the firmness of the ride - keeping it softer day to day but much firmer for track. And the dampers are designed so that you can adjust them without removing the wheels.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 13:31 Thread Starter

Whoops,my mistake. It was Mike Satur that do either 12mm lower (Blue springs) or 25mm lower (Red springs)
The link you posted doesn't work for me I'm afraid.
The body-roll on your TF looks minimal by the way,and car is the best colour too. ;o) Was that a dedicated MG day?
What did the whole kit cost you?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 13:50

Try MGF and MG TF Suspension Packages at www.rimmerbros.co.uk for the Rimmers kit. depending on what you are looking for, unless the 12mm springs give a better ride than OEM, I am not sure they are worth the expense? You wont see much of a difference

I actually bought mine second hand for 200 including the springs and just had to buy the spacers. Figured I had nothing to lose if the dampers were shot I had only paid what I would have paid for the springs but everything was in fairly good condition.

I did Blyton with MGOT last year. it was a mixed day with VW's and Porsche with sessions in the morning and open in the afternoon. It is a nice setup and a fun track with lots of run off. Heading back up to Lincolnshire in April to Cadwell.

Last edited by Ian_R; 20-02-2017 at 14:10.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 16:43 Thread Starter

The only second hand suspension I have seen on flea-bay since I have had my TF was about 350. I couldn't tell what sort of springs were fitted so it wasn't really worth the risk. If I had had to put uprated springs on at 160-180 then I'm virtually up to the full kit price.
The only uprated anti-roll bars I can find are from MGOC at 320 for the front and rear kit,and you don't even get poly-bushes with that by the looks of it. YIKES. Doubt I will be going for that aswell as shocks/springs. Does anyone know of a 85th anniversary car that's being broken ;o)
I did notice your name on attendees at Cadwell Park Ian_R,looks like just the right amount of track time if you are the only driver,but I have my other half too,so would only get 4 or 5 x 20 minute sessions so will just go on an open pit-lane day when I am more up to speed ( and car is better sorted too.)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
The only second hand suspension I have seen on flea-bay since I have had my TF was about 350. I couldn't tell what sort of springs were fitted so it wasn't really worth the risk. If I had had to put uprated springs on at 160-180 then I'm virtually up to the full kit price.
The only uprated anti-roll bars I can find are from MGOC at 320 for the front and rear kit,and you don't even get poly-bushes with that by the looks of it. YIKES. Doubt I will be going for that aswell as shocks/springs. Does anyone know of a 85th anniversary car that's being broken ;o)
I did notice your name on attendees at Cadwell Park Ian_R,looks like just the right amount of track time if you are the only driver,but I have my other half too,so would only get 4 or 5 x 20 minute sessions so will just go on an open pit-lane day when I am more up to speed ( and car is better sorted too.)
I think the MGOC anti-roll bars are the 85th anniversary, MGOC get them from VHS who are the team that designed them originally. VHS also offers the Bilstein kit, see here: Vehicle Handling Solutions Ltd

In my case I got the X-Power springs for Rimmers. However, and this should be a general issue whether it is the TF or a Ferrari, by sitting low I am now having issues when driving during the night because I am level with the headlights of all the incoming vehicles. With the proliferation of LED the situation is pretty dramatic, sometimes I struggle to see where I am going.

Also is it the springs that made me notice or has the number of speed bumps gone up lately? They are everywhere, even in places that doesn't make a lot of sense to have any. I feel sorry for the residents of small residential streets on which the council decided to put speed bumps for no good reason. I have to slow down to go over them ******* the drivers behind me off and then I have to floor it in first gear (no time to up-shift before the next bump) to make up some space before they get stuck behind me again. Not nice.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
Also is it the springs that made me notice or has the number of speed bumps gone up lately? They are everywhere, even in places that doesn't make a lot of sense to have any. I feel sorry for the residents of small residential streets on which the council decided to put speed bumps for no good reason. I have to slow down to go over them ******* the drivers behind me off and then I have to floor it in first gear (no time to up-shift before the next bump) to make up some space before they get stuck behind me again. Not nice.
They are a nightmare and I avoid local roads that i know have speedbumps. I was unexpectedly diverted off the M25 when returning from MG Era at Brooklands last year through a small village with a lot of speedbumps and caused quite a long tailback!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 16:11 Thread Starter

I have sent an on-line enquiry to V.H.S regarding anti-roll bars etc and am awaiting a reply.

The relatively low seating position in an F or TF is a nightmare with the latest trend of S.U.V's / Chelsea tractors. They drive 6 feet from your boot with the headlights level with your eyes. Its all very well flicking the rear view mirror down but you still get dazzled in the 2 wing mirrors.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:16

Car: 99 MGF & 03 MGTF 135
Unhappy

Are VHS still in business?
I've been trying to contact them via e-mail as the phone numbers on the website are discontinued!
No response as yet after 3 weeks.
Anybody managed to get in touch with them?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-06-2017, 16:19

Smile

It seems that VHS are no longer trading.
Anybody any ideas where to buy the Bilstein kit?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-06-2017, 20:36
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
I think that the MG owners club also sold the kit at one time.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-06-2017, 04:38

I've just fitted a set of Bilsteins (retained the Std. springs) to my TF, bought them from MGOC. They (MGOC) rang me to say that there would be a delay as they were out of stock. When the dampers arrived (only took a couple of extra days) they had VHS stickers on the boxes. So I think VHS are still in business just not very good at direct sales. Might be a commercial deal with MGOC though.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-06-2017, 19:54

Smile

Were they the 599 'Comfort Pack' ?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 04:40

Yes, that's the ones. They make a noticeable difference to the ride, a lot more supple, and the handling has not lost anything. Mine is a low mileage car (135 Spark) and the dampers were in excellent order. If you were to compare them to worn dampers you would probably notice more of an improvement. It has made a huge difference to a day out, these should have been fitted as standard or at least as an option. I fitted them on the middle height setting (equivalent to Sports pack 2 height of -10mm I understand). Mine is purely a road car but I do enjoy pushing on a bit sometimes and would say as others have. Expensive but worth it.