MGTF 160 Adjustable suspension. - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 07:56

Car: 99 MGF & 03 MGTF 135
Smile

Nice car Steve.
Whilst considering the Bilstein struts, it brings into question whether to upgrade the bushes at the same time and what type to use.
I've considered the Red (harder) polybushes, but wonder if they might negate some of the desired effect. So would Blue (softer) bushes suit better?
Thoughts please and shared experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 10:24 Thread Starter

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
I never got a reply from VHS either,and that was 4 months ago.

I ended up getting some pre-loved Spax shocks and Mike Satur 10mm lowering springs from a guy on Flea-bay. Fitted them in a (long) afternoon and very pleased I am with them too. Suprisingly similar to standard suspension on normal roads,but a bit more painful over pot-holes and severe undulations. Knocked 3 seconds off my lap times,and I haven't really tried setting them up yet cos I don't know what I'm doing.LOL.
Body roll is still an issue though. Might have to poly-bush it,and put "Rose-joint" linkages to replace drop-links too.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 22:20

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvascoop View Post
Nice car Steve.
Whilst considering the Bilstein struts, it brings into question whether to upgrade the bushes at the same time and what type to use.
I've considered the Red (harder) polybushes, but wonder if they might negate some of the desired effect. So would Blue (softer) bushes suit better?
Thoughts please and shared experience.
I would think that putting harder polybushes in would be counter productive as you say, although that may be a matter of opinion. It is my opinion that VHS in conjunction with Bilstein would have specified a suitable grade of bush. Polybushes do have an extended working life so I can see the point in using them from that point of view but if I were to fit them (and I'm not) I think I would go for the standard rate polybushes on the damper mountings. The damper mounting bolts have been known to fail too so I would be wary of increasing the shock load on them by fitting harder bushes. It is also worth remembering that you would be replacing old, worn bushes for new ones so that would be an "upgrade" in itself. I'm not looking to shave tenths of a second off lap times so your needs may be different to mine.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
I never got a reply from VHS either,and that was 4 months ago.

I ended up getting some pre-loved Spax shocks and Mike Satur 10mm lowering springs from a guy on Flea-bay. Fitted them in a (long) afternoon and very pleased I am with them too. Suprisingly similar to standard suspension on normal roads,but a bit more painful over pot-holes and severe undulations. Knocked 3 seconds off my lap times,and I haven't really tried setting them up yet cos I don't know what I'm doing.LOL.
Body roll is still an issue though. Might have to poly-bush it,and put "Rose-joint" linkages to replace drop-links too.
The TF suspension seems to be based on the idea of (relatively) soft springs and firm dampers. The dampers seem to be the weak link in the chain, apparently down to penny pinching during development. Changing the damper rates will improve the ride but will not reduce ultimate body roll. Lowering will help but it would be worth fitting the later, thicker, anti roll bars. (Something I'm considering). These will reduce body roll (as you would imagine) but you would need to fit both front and rear to maintain the balance. Stiffer springs are also available from https://www.hot-mods.co.uk/ as is coil-over suspension, and maybe from others too. For a track car harder polybushes are a good idea but I would be very wary of rose joint unless it is an all out race car. They wear very quickly.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-06-2017, 07:32

Red face

So what are the benefits of the Bilsteins (599) over the MGOC 'Soft Ride Kit' (350)? I understand the latter is the kit fitted to later TF's to improve the ride.
I think I'm probably looking for good road handling, without the tooth jarring harshness, so maybe that is the way to go.
Without a comparison, it is difficult to decide. Is the handling that much better with the Bilsteins? or are they more suited to track day cars?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-06-2017, 11:27

As I understand it the "Bilstein" kit is designed to be used with the "standard" pre 05 springs.

The "Soft Ride" kit comes with the "softer" post 05 springs. To retain the roll stiffness thicker anti-roll bars were used post 05.

If you just want a softer ride the "Soft Ride" kit should do the job but will lose some of the roll stiffness (Softer springs) compared to the "Bilstein" kit (standard springs). To bring back the roll stiffness the thicker anti-roll bars are 325 at MGOC so prety much six of one and half a dozen of the other.

There is nothing to stop you fitting the "Bilstein" kit and the thicker anti-roll bars (indeed I am thinking of doing that) and that should make a good set up.

The Bilsteins are fine for road use, a good improvement to the ride over standard but lose nothing on the handling side.

As usual, it depends what you want. Your car, your money, your choice. What suits me may not suit you, and the other way round. Hope that helps.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 12:55

Talking

Thanks Steve,
It is a bit confusing. As you say, depends on use and expectations. I think I'll end up getting the Bilsteins and using the existing springs, the comments have all been favourable and the cost difference isn't massive. I really want to keep the crisp handling, but without losing my teeth.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 13:35

Car: MG RV8 + ZR 160 (former TF120 + TF160 owner)
I put VHS Bilsteins (retaining the standard springs) on my 04 TF when they first came out in 2006 a few months after I bought the car. It made a tremendous difference and changed the car from a jittery skateboard that was shaking my teeth out into a supple and comfortable sports car. Just what it should have been when it first came out.

I also track-day'd the car during 2014/15 and am convinced the grip and handling were superior to other standard cars there due to the tyres staying in contact with the road more.

In my book they are the best thing you can do to improve a TF. I had intended to go for the upgraded 85th roll bars set up but plans changed and I now have a ZR 160 for track days.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 15:49 Thread Starter

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_G View Post
The TF suspension seems to be based on the idea of (relatively) soft springs and firm dampers. The dampers seem to be the weak link in the chain, apparently down to penny pinching during development. Changing the damper rates will improve the ride but will not reduce ultimate body roll. Lowering will help but it would be worth fitting the later, thicker, anti roll bars. (Something I'm considering). These will reduce body roll (as you would imagine) but you would need to fit both front and rear to maintain the balance. Stiffer springs are also available from https://www.hot-mods.co.uk/ as is coil-over suspension, and maybe from others too. For a track car harder polybushes are a good idea but I would be very wary of rose joint unless it is an all out race car. They wear very quickly.

You say the thicker anti-roll bars were fitted to later cars. How late,and what sort of numbers are we looking at? Has anyone ever seen any come up for sale pre-used as 350 is an awful lot of money for 2 bits of steel with a bend at either end!!