MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MGTF m.o.t fail

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  barkingdog 
#1 ·
Excessive corrosion to underside off vehicle - help !
Excessive corrosion to ALL break pipes
Garage also said suspected head gasket failure - still no mayo on my dip stick though !
Please someone advise me - is it worth keeping my much loved MGTF

#2 ·
Quick answer - Yes

More detailed answer will require more information on excessive corrosion.....as in what and where....MOT certificate will give details. Brake pipes can be purchased or made quite simply so that not too much of an issue...its the excessive corrosion to underside of vehicle which is the wonder

#3 ·
Becca, if you post your car reg no, we can all take a look at the MOT details on line.

My F had corrosion though it was only certain areas. If the problem is the subframe (front / rear or both), they can be purchased from ebay or scrapyard, and can be replaced at a cost, though as said above, only you can decide at what point it becomes uneconomical. If you can DIY then you're only looking at parts (and whatever tools you don't currently have to complete the repair), however if you need a garage to do it then the costs can escalate. If you have a driveway and are handy for one of the mobile mechs, you can probably reduce the cost.

#4 ·
This failure result makes me a little suspicious. My immediate thought is: Touting for work.

My Rover 416 failed its MOT last year. Both sills had gone. The MOT station had clearly marked where the metal had gone bad (Yellow paint and a pair of holes). In previous years, the station clearly stated where the brake pipes were corroded.

I'd go elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.