MGTF-Turbo - MG-Rover.org Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 00:40 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF and Mercedes C220 CDI Sport
Red face MGTF-Turbo

Hi Everyone I am new to the forum but have has my TF for 2 years now, I was considering getting rid of it and upgrading to something a little faster, problem is both me and my wife love the thing so I have decided to convert it from a 160VVC to a 1.8 200ish BHP turbo.

This is basically going to be my build thread from start to finish, I have been collecting bits for the conversion over the past few months.

This should be a very interesting project and I have had people saying it can't be done it will over heat etc.. etc.., most of the people who say tripe like that have never held a spanner and are frightened to take on projects in case they fail.

I am no expert engineer or mechanic, but can apply common sense and logic to problems.

Anyway enough rambling here is where the car is at currently and a bit of its history:

When we bought the car 2 years ago it was a bit of a mess but the engine was solid, head gasket had been done and it have with a tonne of service history.

Cracked Front Bumper

Cracked Rear Bumper

Interior Moldy and wet
http://formula1store.co.uk/wp-conten...208_155409.jpg

various panel damage

We used the car for the first summer in this condition, last winter I decided to start bringing the car back it its former glory. and after many weekends of work here is how the car looks now.

List of jobs done
  • Calipers Painted
  • Worn Drivers front seat replaced
  • Centre console painted in glass black (Le500 style)
  • LE500 gear knob
  • Mike Satur Roll Bars and Wind Stop
  • New Front and Rear Bumpers
  • Sound Deadened Both Doors
  • New sound system and component speakers
  • LED number plate and foot well lights
  • Fitted Toyo Proxies
  • Leather covered Centre console Gear knob and handbrake cover with orange stitching
  • New rear lights and light seals

That brings us up to date after using the car last summer I now want a bit more power out of it, Next job on the list is the big one, these are the parts I have so far for the conversion, I don't have a budget as such but would like to keep it as near to the 2k mark as possible.
Will try and post pics of all the bits as I go.
  • PG1 Gearbox with Steel Bearings and Torsen Type B LSD
  • TT MK7 Stainless Exhaust
  • Charge Cooler Rad from a Ford Focus ST (it's gona be a tight fit lol)
    http://formula1store.co.uk/wp-conten...9/IMG_0468.jpg
  • Charge Cooler Pump from Focus ST
  • Complete MG ZT 1.8T with 60,000 miles on the clock
  • Kevlar Diamond Clutch
  • Various gauges including boost, AFR, Oil Pressure
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator

I also intend on making a custom computer controlled dashboard, with lots of additional sensors (more on this soon).

Hope I am not breaking any forum rules for pictures etc,

p.s. please excuse my spelling and grammar as they are atrocious!!!

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:57

Car: TT MGF #0002
Send a message via MSN to gotenks1321
Welcome to the forums.

There are a number of TF turbos out there now as well as a few supercharged.

One chap has fitted the Focus rad to his TF and I have to my F as well, you lose the fogs where we have mounted them but they fit nicely. It would appear that I didn't take any pictures at the time but hopefully Chris won't mind me posting his:

What are your plans for the exhaust manifold? Or do you plan to go down the reshaped firewall and modified fuel tank route?

Last edited by gotenks1321; 10-01-2016 at 11:04.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:37 Thread Starter

Hi gotenks1321,

Yes that looks like mine almost exactly, I have test fitted the charge cooler rad and it is a tight fit I do still plan to have
fog lights but they wont be the factory ones as like you say there is no room at all behind once the rad is in.

I will be sure to take some photos once it's in.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:47 Thread Starter

I plan on a custom manifold and to rotate the engine backward slightly to give more room,

I good to know there are some that there are some that have completed the project.

Be interesting to know what the insurance is like, the best quote I have had so far is from
Adrian Flux @ 730, I am 31 and have never claimed and don't have any points on my licence.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 16:01

Car: MGTF 135 2005
I look forward to hearing about and seeing your progress :-)
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 16:14
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Sounds like a very intersting read, I look forward to it.

Lots of photos required please

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 17:14 Thread Starter

My Replies don't appear for ages after I send them, is this because they are being moderated, how can I
stop this happening?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 17:15 Thread Starter

Indeed I will take as many as possible.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 23:06

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Hi and welcome to the forum

MJS have done a couple now so they are defiantly possible.

Looking forward to a build thread.

James

-----------------------------------------------------------------
MGF chatting at .org, the registar and MGF & MG TF Owners Forum
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:16

Car: MGF
Nice to have a new project to follow - good luck and happy spannering!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:06

Car: Ex MGTF 235 Turbo
Send a message via Skype™ to xr3tf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTF-T View Post
I ..... can apply common sense and logic to problems.
The improbable becomes a real possibility if one only applies your mind. The impossible just takes a little bit longer.

Good luck with the build!
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 20:55 Thread Starter

Been working on the clocks today and the software that will run them, this might now be to everyone's tastes but it will allow me to monitor temperatures very closely.

A Quick mock up in Photoshop.

Steel Cut and inserted into a spare set of clocks I had

Screen is a 7" HDMI Touch Screen

Screen roughly placed in with some of the warning lights.

I will be using a raspberry Pi to control this little lot.

I am making the custom software you can see displayed.

Last edited by MGTF-T; 13-01-2016 at 13:42.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 26-01-2016, 06:48

Car: Land Rover 90 pick up Abarth 595 Tourismo, BMW 3 series
I like the instrument display, are you using the original engine sensors as im currently bulding a forged K Turbo for my boys ZT and am looking at alternative auxillary gage displays so will be interested to see how you get on.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 26-01-2016, 22:22 Thread Starter

No my display is running its own temperature sensors, I have gone this route so they are modular and are easily replaceable.

A few more pics of how the dash is coming along.

With Decals on Warning Lights (Sorry about the bad photo its hard to take a good shot of it).

Still working on getting the LED's working 100% but its getting there (see video below.. hopefuly ;-p ), I have started labeling up the TF wiring harness in preparation for the engine coming out.

I also got a Stainless steel manifold for a bargain at 40, its for a k series land rover, I don't know if I am going to use it yet but its a handy thing to have even to cut up for parts.

More updates coming soon.

Last edited by MGTF-T; 26-01-2016 at 22:41.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 14:52

Car: MG ZR
If I'm correct you are planning to swap your 18K4K(VVC) to 18K4G(Turbo) from ZT.
How you want to solve the issue of engine equipment and control unit ?
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 22-02-2016, 18:15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyPL View Post
If I'm correct you are planning to swap your 18K4K(VVC) to 18K4G(Turbo) from ZT.
How you want to solve the issue of engine equipment and control unit ?
It will run a Z&F modified and remapped ECU that I already have.

Project coming along great guys I will be posting some updates soon been really busy with work.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 22:43 Thread Starter

Update

Sorry its been a while guys, just has loads to do and not a great deal of time to work on the car and I am just doing this on my drive so the weather can hamper development.

In February I managed to get the engine out of the donor MG ZT, it took a day to remove with me and my brother-in-law but is a relativity straight forward job to get it out with a hoist.

The next day I had to repay the favor removing his 3.0L engine out of his Z4 (but that's a story for another day )

In March I started stripping the engine of all its ancillaries

and cleaning as much of the grime off as possible, I also gave the rocker cover a fresh coat of high temperature candy orange (That know one will ever see ).

Next I removed the Sump ready for its new alloy bracing, this also helps keep the engine supplied with oil in tight bends or so I am told.
this is to be tig tack welded in place to give extra strength.

This little lot then arrived. and a new water pump.

I have decided to go with a Subaru VF turbo instead of the standard ZT one, this is a more capable turbo and parts are cheap and readily available. Mg Garrett Turbo is on the left Subaru on Right.

The turbo will not fit down the back of the engine block without tilting the engine backwards slightly, once behind the engine can then move back to its normal position, but as you can see it fit is extremely tight and the petrol tank is dangerously close so I will have to address this somehow.

I have rotated the compressor housing in a attempt to fit everything in.

This is a mock up of back of the engine, as you can see the exhaust is going to interfere with where the oil filter normally goes but I have a plan for that, please excuse my welding this is just temporary I will have the manifold professionally made eventually.

I will also have to move water pipes and all sorts inside the engine bay but I am trying not to think of that at the moment

That just about gets us up to date, today I fitted the charge cooler radiator to the car, it fits great and the bumper even goes on without problem....

...Well the only slight issue is that I will have to loose the original fog lights as there just is not enough room for them behind the bumper, I have looked at a few options, eBay sell so quite big fog lights that are LED and thin, I have mocked them up on a picture of a rather gorgeous looking MG-TF that I unashamedly stole or my other Idea was to make them ducts to the radiator what do you think?, too much?

post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 09:20

Car: MG ZS
What is the LED HUD you are using btw?

Is it just a converted tablet or an actual specific made to function LED panel?

The idea of using that seems a great idea for adding more awesome to your car.

Also do you know if the turbo is a TD04 or a TD05? As i'd be interested to see how well it handles the bhp you get out of it. I presume clocking (rotating) the turbo wasn't too difficult either?
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 17:52 Thread Starter

LED Display is a 1080p touchscreen driven from a raspberry pi with custom software I am developing, the turbo is basically the same as the TD04 (or so i am told)
I don't think a TD05 would fit unless you relocate the petrol tank. I have up-rated as many parts as possible without forged internals so we will see what its like
when its done, should be interesting though.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 20:01

Car: MG ZS
200bhp should work stock no problems at all.

They go as high as around 220bhp on all stock.

I might have to try that touch-screen idea though. Maybe a cheapo tablet with Torque pro installed or something or just convert one of the LED HUD units.

I find them invaluable for diagnosing coolant leaks etc.

I'm going for around 260+ twin charged 4wd ZS so i'm keen to see what others have done and how they've solved certain problems.

Need to get a Mk2 ZS V6 that I can transplant my current engine into and make use of all the better gubbins.

You may ask how the hell I intend to make it 4wd.....well... at this stage it's still on the drawing board, but I have all the theory like gearing/LSD ratios solved.... just gotta figure out how to cram a haldex into the rear end and redo the gas tank.